Shield Throw Paladin S Tier Build Guide! 0.8.2I

Ring of Shields now require 30 points in Forge Guard, thus Paladins can’t have it.

Paladins can’t use ring of shield anymore.

hi, @boardman21 are you going to update 0.8.3 of this build ?

Its on a list. The list is very long atm :slight_smile: but yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

@boardman21 , I suspect, you work well on builds, so updating everything is going to take a long time. I am also waiting for the echoing warpath. Thank you to you for also the readability of the explanations, good job

Ok that makes sense. However, my paladin still has it specced so I can still use it surprisingly enough.

Hello reading your build I want to use it, but I just downloaded the game, is this version suitable for the 1 to 75 guide? The English is not good. Sorry

This build is dead , with the new patch you don’t have access anymore at one skill ( ring of shield ) since you need to take paladin as a master . And you absolutely need it to survive in the end game

This is incorrect
Ring of shields is not mandatory.
I will update this build soon. It did lose damage but you can still get capped armor just from shield throw itself

looking forward! btw… do you reckon armour/health to be stronger than hp regen/endurance threshold?

If you can get 80-85% Armor and the blessing leech throwing attack damage its very strong cause you also get endurance on top of it. Havent messed to much with HP regen but id still feel leech is slightly stronger but you gotta farm those blessings.

Still enjoying this build a lot

Managed to get the 4.6% throwing attack leech blessing and 84% armour, 61% block 50% mitigation when everything is stacked…

Could use a little bit more flat health (only 2.1k) but I can essentially ignore most direct hits provided the shield is hitting enough mobs to leech enough back before the next nuke - have to be a little careful on single bosses (stay close) and DoTs (move).

Smite as the replacement for RoS seems to still work perfectly fine…
Lunge changes mean there is a noticeable damage drop from the crit loss, but its still a very powerful build… Tried Javelin in replace of Lunge to see if the throwing damage stacking makes it a good single target skill - but it doesnt seem like it works without going the lightning route which doesnt match with the fire shields…

Not sure if its related to the latest patch, but mana management is a little trickier than I remember - to the point where you have to have the mana reduction rings… especially if you hope to have Sigils maxed and active and still be able to attack.

1 Like

Would you say this is still usable/workable in current patch just with lower ceiling?

Works like a charm… This is my personal go to build for farming corruption level 200+

The changes in the recent patch to things like lunge etc mess around a little with the dps but the build is still very viable and depending on how you chose to spec out to compensate the new changes.

Could you post on what you used to compensate the new changes?

Its been a while now, so unfortunately I respec’d this to try some other ideas out so I cant just upload a build planner (the easy way to answer your question). :wink:

I still use Lunge but I respec’d it as more of a utility skill for additional healing mobility etc I.e. I swapped out the “more dps” type nodes for more defensive type approach.

Ring of Shields I replaced with Smite which with the Smite on Throwing Idol means you proc Smite automatically while throwing the shield… The change to Smite reduces the defence that RoS provided, but the build is still very tanky so thats not too much of an issue… but Smite being a spell changes the focus of damage options…

The original build focuses heavily on Throwing Damage on everything - but with the changes you have options now… You could boost spell for Smite, you could consider an alternative weapon with adaptive spell damage and still have the fire boosts for throwing… It all depends on how far you want to take it and which direction you prefer… (and probably what gear you have lying around). You can even spec smite into a bigger damage skill that you can manually trigger against single targets. Alternatively you could make smite more of a healing defensive skill that procs and boosts you every so often… Entirely up to you and how you want to play.

I also changed the idols to the +Flat fire damage on Throwing instead of going the crit route in the original build… For me it seems to work better but it all depends on gear and how you want to go… Crit, if you can get enough of it, will probably be stronger dps wise…

The Blessing for X% health leech on throwing damage is probably the most important for this build… It makes a HUGE difference in your survivability… You are doing so much damage so fast with all the shield ricochets that this combined with the armour of over 80% makes this build very comfortable to play…

Cannot really recall other changes that I made but this build is much more versatile than it was originally… It may not be as tanky or have as high dps depending on how you build it but its still an S tier in my opinion.

What about passives? I know that changed a lot as well.

Umm… Obviously cannot recall… but a quick look…

Passives changes heavily depend on what route you take… e.g. if you want Smite to be doing damage, then obviously things like HeavenFire & Sanctury Guardian in the Paladin tree would be more important… If you dont stick with Crit, then Holy Precision isnt as useful… Obviously all the Block chance & Amour type nodes are still needed

I didnt need the Void night nodes so I put those passives into other things

If i recall correctly I also messed with the throwing nodes in the Forge Guard - Weapons Master, Peltast, Siege Captain… but those are 28 passives (fully spec;d) so I dont recall how well they stacked against things like Light of Rahyeh… It really all depends on what gear you have - I felt that the flat throwing damage was worth trying out but not all 28 points worth…

The other important thing is the Blademaster passive - if you are not using an axe or sword then this is useless… e.g. if you decide to get the adpative spell damage on a sceptre etc…

The key is to play around with whatever gear you have and go from there…

It may not be the best way of dealing with passives or how others do it, but I always change passives first if I find I am too squishy or not doing enough damage etc… they are easy to respect instantly and its always much more difficult to find gear to compensate for a problem area in a build.

Ok thank you. That is kinda of what i was thinking. I like the Forge guard throwing nodes they worked well. Thanks for good advice.