Set Items

It’s really awesome to have more content coming so soon after legendary items. I’m wondering if there is any news regarding updating set items? I think 2-3 pieces for sets is perfect in the style of Diablo 2, however much like Diablo 2 set items are currently not very useful. I don’t think i’ve seen any sets used by streamers or in guides for end game, even when the set requires the player to be level 50+.
Obviously things need to be balanced especially with MP not yet released, but right now sets are almost useless beyond being used as a stop-gap to end game.

Yea, we are still working on the set item problem. We have a few options that we are experimenting with but aren’t quite settled on one so we don’t have any major changes to set items coming yet.

1 Like

no worries, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Woah, what’s the problem with set items? I use them with 2 of my characters and I enjoy it! I hope they don’t rework any of the currently existing ones! Adding more of them is fine by me, but reworking can mess up a few of my builds! :slight_smile:

Its just that set items have become even less appealing since the launch of Legendary… There were only a few set items worth using before and now its even worse when compared to what you can achieve with uniques/legends…

There are some other threads where they discuss this (and on discord)… its quite a complicated juggling act - The devs are going to have to get creative if they still want set items to be of any value in the game long term… AND not cause problems like D3 where everyone just used Set items… I expect its walking a tightrope and any solution they try is unlikely to please everyone…

The way I see it, Set Items offer a unique playstyle and I like it the way they are. Well, I get that some of them are better than others but each set fulfills a purpose and it’s totally up to you whether you want to use it or not.

I personally get hyped with Set Items and I it’s been quite fun so far with the characters I’m using them on. Heck, with my Void Knight, not only it fitted perfectly into my build, but also boosted my dps to insane levels!

On this topic I see the problem of Set items as something that could be just removed. But seeing that EHG want them on the game, in the end of the thread I conclude thanks to the comments that it would be nice if they have a way to be distinguish them from Uniques so they’re not “Weak green uniques”.

They COULD have build-enabling affixes (along with skill visual effects if they don’t plan to sell skill effects in shop) so, if you “sacrifice” 2-3 equipment slots (I prefer to only exist 3-set parts, you decide if use 2 or 3 parts of a set) were you could have good Legendary items, the reason will be because the Set create a new build that it isn’t available in any other way. I think would be the best reason for Set items to exist. I would love honestly to play with something like that.

1 Like

None of the ARPG games in the modern day seem to be able to recreate the magic of Diablo 2 unique and set items, it baffles me. There is no special feeling to finding uniques anymore or good items as they drop way too damn often in these games now and they just fail to make the unique items and sets feel legendary the way D2 did.

I’m not sure whether that’s because it’s difficult, or because we’re all used to awesomely epic items dropping from playing games like D2 for decades that we’re a bit inured to it.

We got a dungeon that allows for improving legendaries, especially the low-level ones with high LP. Why not do something similar for set items? E.g. adding a new stat that makes a single set item count as two pieces in terms of the set bonus. That way you wouldn’t get penalized as much by using a set instead of the generally more interesting and powerful legendaries.

IMO, it’s 100% because of looking at D2 with Nostalgia Goggles on. D2 was revolutionary for its time and that was what made it special to a lot of people… at the time. But you can’t watch the same movie thousands of times over decades and still be blown away by it the same way you were the first time you saw it.

i think you are right probably, but something has got to change. Not since D2 have i played a game that something dropped that made my jaw drop, simply does not happen anymore. In D2 you could spend the entire ladder trying to grind out a few high runes, too much stuff drops in these games now a days. This game feels like grim dawn loot just way way way too much dropping.

Firstly, I want to say that your “sacrifice” clause makes no sense simply because you can’t know whether the slots you “sacrifice” will be the same ones you will be using unique and legendary items on. Secondly, I partly agree with your desire to make set items more distinguishable, although they already are to some extend. I also wouldn’t mind if Set Items became craftable to make up for their supposedly existing weakness you people keep talking about (which I don’t quite see, at least not yet). In addition, I wouldn’t mind if EHG introduced Set Items with higher slot capacity (ie. 4-5 equipment slots). In fact I would be very excited about it.

i know my current issue with set items are:

1. the set bonus isn’t the most exciting part of many set items

The only one i can think of that is the exception is Valtria’s set (Lightning Meteor). Because that changes how you scale damage. I want more set items like that.

1. the set bonus is a static in that it has no rolls, so you either have it or you don’t.

One thing the LP has dont for many uniques is raise the ceiling so that there is always more to chase and more to look forward to. Set Items are lacking that.

2 Likes

An exalted item is the best craftable item you can get. An Unique if fits in your build, could replace the Exalted. If you get LP in that Unique, you could have a “best in slot” item.

In my example, they can’t be powerful or we will have a problem like @vapourfire mention with D3. So they need be kinda weak in exchange for having special modifiers. Now, if they get a re-work to have only build-enabling modifiers, this “overpowered” problem doesn’t exist. People will only use Set items to get access to “X” build if they want to play it and there isn’t any other way to get access to it. In this case, you could “sacrifice” resistances, health, etc, just to get this new build available only through Set items.

But if they have modifiers that you could find on a Unique, then why they exist? Remember that in the future we will have countless Uniques to chase, so the Set items could be always an item to sell for Gold to a NPC if they don’t get a different way to work from the Uniques. Anyway I know there are some Set items that try to create different builds but his modifiers aren’t “powerful enough” to worth build around it (AFAIK, correct me if i’m wrong). So if Set items will create new builds → it’s decision of people if want to play a “Set item” build or not. If they’re just “green uniques”, people will always choose Legendary > Set item.

I’m not an expert, just my PoV.

Edit: Fixing my text.
Edit2: Just to add another random idea and maybe not-a-good one, Set items -besides his set item modifiers- they could “evolve” like Uniques → Legendary items, but in is own way (just craftable modifiers or special ones?) and can be called Ancient items, like Mu Online had:

Many years ago I used to love this game… I mention this because I like the name “Ancient items” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.