Screen freeze

The game periodically freeze my screen. The game is still running in the background but the screen is just frozen. I have to ALT+TAB to switch to desktop and back to the game and then the frozen screen is gone.
Its happens all over the place. While fighting, while just walking, in cities or even when i have the skilltrees open. Playing offline mode. I had played the game with the exact same setup many times in the beta before 1.0 and had never such issues. Any suggestions to fix it?

Win 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core
AMD Radeon RX6800 XT (actual driver)
16GB
1 Monitor

1 Like

I get the exact same issue. The pictures freezes but the game is still running and you can hear the audio carry on as normal. The game continues to register input from mouse and kb as well even though the image is frozen. If I tap the windows key (effectively an alt+tab), everything goes back to normal and the image resumes.

The problem is random and intermittent but it seems to occur very frequently when I’m on the timeline ‘island’ with the stash and vendor and everything when doing monolith (NOT the ‘end of time’ main island where you first load in).

I changed a bunch of graphical settings but didn’t make a difference. Fullscreen or windowed fullscreen doesnt make a difference.

Win 11
AMD RX6800 (latest driver)
intel 12400F
32gb ddr4

I get exactly the same issue. Atl-Tab fixes it, but it happens very often, normally only in combat. I’m using a second monitor, not tried it without.

Windows 10
AMD 6700XT (latest driver)
AMD 1600X CPU
16gb ddr4

I’ve got a second monitor as well. Also wonder if it’s something related to RX6000 series gpu’s as that’s what we all have.

Actually its getting worse. Maybe because the new driver update. Now i get even more screen freezes. Up to 3 times in a row. Really annoying…

Yeah this is really getting to me now. It gets me killed on boss fights and makes me lose gaze of orybyss…

Same here freeze freeze freeze, its non stop and fps drops to 15 FPS with a 3080ti its just for unistall the game bro… I dont buy a high end computer for play at 15FPS a game with old graphics.

Hey there,
I had the same issue with a RX 6700 XT. It tried to play in low quality but it seemed to make the problem worse.

I then capped the FPS to 60 and I didn’t experience any freeze afterwards.
Setting VSYNC ON also seems to fix the issue.

1 Like

So I tried what you mentioned and the vsync made other issues pop up. But capping the FPS did work! I started at 100 and worked my way down until I did not have issues. Landed at 93 frames. There must be an issue with FPS and AMD cards of the 6000 variety. All of my other games have no issues like this at over 100. Thanks again for your post and I hope others with this issue find this post!

AMD 6800xt GPU
AMD 5700x CPU
32GB ddr4
Windows 11

24 hours and still cannot play the game with the same issues as above

same problem. keeps crashing and killing my hc characters. i tried everything even re-install. no interest in non hc. can’t do this anymore

FWIW I get this on occasion with a 3060 12gb. AMD Processor though: 5800X

I already played with capped 60fps and VSYNC ON (without i get annoying visual fractures).
So unlucky for me i cannot change it to the better :frowning:
Actually this issue prevents me from playing the game all to much…

Same issue with RX6800. any fixes will come?

It’s got worse but on some Monolith’s I get no freezes and others I get 3 or 4, sometimes within 10seconds of each other.

So it could be related to some mob effects, possibly too many at a time?

I had the problem already in town with my skilltrees open and still got screen freeze…so no mob effect or any effects at all. My friend has the same GPU and never had any problems … like me in the beta.

I have just recently bought the game and am at early end game stage.
Just now i had a strange incident in a Monolith where i was killing mobs, the void millipede looking mobs and all of a sudden the screen sort of froze and i couldnt move and the AI were walking on the spot?
This lasted maybe 15 seconds i was expecting to be dead but no the game started working again and i was still alive, most the monsters had vanished apart from a few stuck in the air dead as if vibrating. i completed the echo and got out but very odd behaviour.

I have -
1gb fibre connection
7800x3d
64gb ddr 5 ram
4090 gpu
nvme drives samsung
fiio k7 sound device

windows 11 fully up to date (recent install)
nvidia 552.12 driver