Rune of Shattering ---- MULTIPLE FAILURES

I have add shatters fail multiple times post patch. This doesnt seem widespread, but i’ve lost at least 4 shatters now…

1 Like

same happened to me, i used the shatter on an item and the sound and animation i got was like i was upgrading an affix and i did it a few times in a row thinking i did some wrong but then it happened again so yeah

1 Like

This happened to my friend as well, I don’t know if it’s relevant or not, but the item he was trying to shatter had 0 uh, whatever it’s called. Forgeability?

2 Likes

Same issue here, I’ve had it fail on two different items and appeared to consume rune of shattering.
I tried 3 times on some exalted boots with 0 forging potential.

Are you meant to be able to shatter something with zero forging potential?

1 Like

Unsure. Maybe no?

1 Like

just had the same happen on a fresh item so forging potential is not the issue

1 Like

Same was happening to me.

It’s not just 1 item either, once the shattering rune failed once, the next couple all failed as well, on different items.
Relogged, and the rune worked as intended again.

1 Like

This is a visual bug, when using runes, the counter of their number sometimes does not update on its own. If they run out, but you can place them in the crafting window, then you will not be able to apply the rune. The counter is updated if you send new runes to the forge

1 Like

It is not just visual, multiple runes are consumed:

1 Like

I have had this happen twice today. The most recent was on a blue sword that failed three times before I gave up. It consumes the shatter rune, the item flashes, but then it remains in the forge and no shards are released. I definitely used shatter runes (I was shattering multiple items; none of the previous items failed). This item did have 22 forging potential so that doesn’t seem to be related.

Can you post your player log from this session please?

Very common bug. Happens to me all the time.

Could you post the repro steps?

Here are both my Player.log and Player-prev.log files. I don’t remember exactly when the problem occurred but if you can parse my global chat I asked if it was a known issue in chat right after it occurred. It also occurred once yesterday.

The steps to recreate this random event was simply to shatter several items. When I got to this magic (blue) item that I was shattering just for the rare shard it flashed but the sword didn’t disappear and no shards dropped, but the shattering rune was consumed. I closed the forge, repeated the shattering process (carefully!) and the same thing happened twice more before I gave up and asked in chat and then posted on the forum.

My system specs are:

|Processor|12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-12900KF 3.19 GHz|
|Installed RAM|64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)|
|Edition|Windows 11 Pro|
|Version|22H2|
|OS build|22621.1485|
Video Card: Nvidia RTX 3900 (24GB VRAM)
Driver Version: 531.41

Player.log (253.5 KB)
Player-prev.log (208.9 KB)

Not really because by the time I’ve noticed it is happening it’s too late. Here’s what I think is true…

1. It happens when you have multiple Shatterings and are about to destroy a bunch of stuff. Never seen it when I was about to use only a single Shattering.

2. Once you begin the process of destroying items, you hit a point where the shatter occurs as normal but the display does not subtract 1 from your “in bank” total. Unlikely you would notice.

3. This can repeat until you actually run out of Shatterings. Next attempt after that makes the noise but item is not broken and no shards are awarded. Ay this point your bank total begins to count down as it should have earlier. This will now repeat until you “run out of Shatterings”.

My theory is the bug is entirely visual. The player lost nothing.

He had a streak where he broke items but his Rune count did not decrease, then at the trigger point (which is when he genuinely ran out of Runes) it caught up and started decreasing the Rune count but with no shatter occuring.

Did that make sense?

Because the player does not notice anything odd until the first shatter that fails, he does not check his Runes. But now all future shatter attempts will fail and his rune count will start to drop. Player is only now paying attention to the rune total and it now looks like runes are being lost for no effect. Player was completely unaware of the “freebies” that preceded this.

Meant to say, I think there is a workaround. Whenever you smash an item and collect shards, rather than place next item and hit smash again, instead place next item, re-select rune type from bank, then smash.

Bug has never occurred when I remember to do that.

Well, happened to me on multiple occasions for 2 days of playing. Bug is not visual, when you cannot shatter item - it will not shatter at all. Seems to happen when after shatter your selected rune becomes empty. Next item is kinda lost.