Road to 1.0 - July 2021 Development Update

The cosmetic/MTX system will come before release. We have wireframes created, backend 80% complete, next is UI implementation and hooking up the API, UX testing, then the paintovers. I believe (currently, subject to change) that this may be implemented in just a couple patch cycles from now.

3 Likes

Voice of reason. This is my number 1 concern for any and all new games-as-service IPs after a couple releases over the last year/year and a half. As you said even large and established studios have been fumbling the ball. First impressions are always the most important.

1 Like

Is MP going to have a VPN-accessible client? There are other MMO’s that do not allow this and I prefer security over dropping my drawers to the rest of the internet. At least with the current off-line state, it does not matter since I am not connecting to the servers, and login is used for tracking purposes.

:+1:
Keep up the good work!

Dear developers, can u confirm that offline mode will be without needing to login? Thank u for your answer

This is planned since the very start and already has been re-confirmed plenty of times.

Yes it will be fully playable offline.

There are way too many posts to quote, but here is the most recent one from Trasochi, their Lead Developer:

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff, all very exciting for the future.
Please, please, do not change your approach, cave in to peer pressure, and release anything that you are not completely happy with internally.
We’ve all seen in recent games how that pans out, and it’s not good at all.
From a personal perspective, I agree with the Dev Team’s perspective; and I would rather wait until next year for MP and have a smooth polished release than have a rushed and buggy one.

The answer to that is the same as every other time you’ve asked & we/the devs have answered. nothing has changed in this regard.

Yes, the devs are intended to have a proper offline mode (no login required) so that you’d be able to play it while on your merchant seaman voyages. It may not happen at the same time as multiplayer is launched but from memory it should be before launch.

Bit of a typo there, since he wants/needs offline…

2 Likes

woops, of course i meant offline >.>

1 Like

Thank u and Llama for ypur answer in that case im really looking forward to thia release and im gonna play it for a long time to come c

I can’t find it, but i remember Mike saying in one of the dev streams, that it is very likely that true offline mode will already be available once multiplayer releases, so you might not need to wait for “release” to already use that feature.

1 Like

He said it’d be available after multiplayer is released, not necessarily in the same patch.

1 Like

I never said (i accidentally did, but corrected it in my previous post) it will happen in the exact same patch, only that there is a very good liklehood of it being avaialble before “release”

1 Like

WOW! such a long detailed information post is one of the things i love about EHG! keep the hard work! THANKS!

1 Like

Here is the video I believe @Heavy is referencing (it should start at the correct point of the video, but if not go to 1:26:42):

Offline Mode Question

2 Likes

FECK YEAH! i cant wait for the game to hit 1.0!
i’ve been on a hiatus coz i dont like the feeling of my progress not being meaningful in the longrun (offline only might as well delete).
really hope the acolyte gets a makeover.

more love for 2 handers please!

@Moxjet200

We are creating Last Epoch to be a game that is continuously updated with large swathes of content for many years to come. We’ll be adding Cycles (seasons), economy and leaderboard resets, races, and other regularly scheduled events in addition to large content additions.

I just want to clarify something.
Are you planning something in line of Diablo 3 where the season add an extra something while keeping to entire game the same?
or
More in line with Path of exile where you add new mechanics for each seasons with related end game?

I know everything can change and its up to you, but I’d like to know what is plan A (Or the first draft of it)

I know the devs talked about they want to avoid to get the game unnecessarily bloated like PoE, so i imaging, they might go the PoE route, but they will most likely end up removing added mechanics for a time and maybe reimplemented them later.

Maybe after 3-4 cycles they have 4 different mechanics they can bring in and out every few cycles, but not add them all at once and let them stay forever.

The benefit of seasonal mechanics like with how PoE does it is that it keeps the game fresh, and that’s all it takes to keep people playing a game. The “bloat” is not the reason people stop playing PoE, there’s a lot of bad in PoE that is definitely not in LE.

I definitely agree that the “fresh/new” aspect of these kind of thigns is great.

I hope LE will achieve something similar, however they will approach their cycles.

The bloat in PoE definitely is a problem for the casual/mediumcore player base, where alot of the so called “crafting” or other endgame activities are redundant are they do very very similar things, that overlap with just little nuisances.

There are very different types of players stopping entirely or playing less PoE because of various different reasons.
It’s undeniable that PoE is doing something right, because even though the playbase is a rollercoaster in terms of active player, it’s steadily increasing.

I think if LE can indoruce new/fresh things without making the game unnecessarily daunting, it’s a great thing to achieve already.

The Game Guide and overall pace of progression and unlocking various different aspects of the game in already fantastic in LE.
I think we need a few more “core” endgame system with a little bit more depth, but all teh “new/fresh” content they bring with seasons, i hope they are very mindful of those and don’t try to implement “new” stuff just for the sake of adding new stuff. (if it doesn’t serve a very clear prupose)