Restrict a non-season players

It should move to Legacy at the end of cycle though

Guys, guys!
It’s not about whether the season is bad or not. The point is that if I love the ladder and(plus) love to play with pumped up characters, changing them whenever I want, then there is no place for me in the game.

The only answer to that is “too bad”. Those people should pursue competition in a game where success does not depend as heavily on throwing the lever on a slot machine as many times as possible. This is no different than being competitive in any other hobby or endeavor.

1 Like

Considering that almost no ARPGs have non-season leaderboards, other than D3 and maybe some indie ones, I don’t think you’ll have much luck if that’s where you draw the line.

2 Likes

That’s why I played D3 for thousands of hours and came here from Undecember.
We won’t discuss whether they are good or bad, the point is that they didn’t decide for me whether I should play the season or not.

Their quality (or huge amounts of P2W) aren’t really relevant, but what is relevant is taking time to implement and maintain a system that not that many players want. It will take time from implementing more important things, like missing skills, more endgame options, accessibility options, etc, and won’t bring that many players.

As I said, barely any ARPG has this for a reason. And if that really is the thing that makes you leave, then you’re stuck playing those 2 games.

1 Like

D4 is the ladder announced, already 3. :smile:

The whole ladder system is already ready, it just needs to be deployed not for one game mode, but for two.

That’s not how programming works. Implementing it for non-season will require time to implement and test. It’s not just flipping a variable value.

1 Like

I think it’s the right way. You offer a fresh start with most likely a new meta and people ca ndo their races and stuff and every time you start fresh and work on it.

If you care so little for ladders that you don’t want to play some hours to go for them then they can’t be that important. Maybe we get legacy leaderbords at some day but right now I’m happy al the board chasers have their own little pool to dabble in.

Let’s start with the baseline: I’m not against ladders in the permanent realm. I don’t care for ladders, neither in cycles/seasons nor in permanent.

I’m just interested in people’s motivation and technical aspects.

• a) If each new cycle adds new content and rebalances the old content, should the legacy realm have a permanent ladder or should it reset each time a new cycle starts, with a backtracable history of past “cycles”?
  • b) If there is no reset, where is the meaning in comparability? A system overhaul could mean people won’t be able to reach as high a corruption or wave as in previous iterations of the game.
  • c) If “cycled” ladders in the permanent realm, do you think you would be able to compete against people who put much more time into the game?
  • d) If this isn’t about seeing your name high up on the ladder, but you just want to compare - you could do it by creating a lvl 1 character in cycle just to keep track of the leaderboards.

So, how do you think ladders should be implemented in permanent cycles?

1 Like

Each season has a different meta build. Since the release, there have been three and the table changes day by day. Each has a different drop and each has a different chance at a gear set. So yes people will be able to outperform even years seasoned veterans just fine.

No, once every 3-4 cycles is enough to weed out inactive players

Undoubtedly. Strengthening any build, the further, the slower.

A level 1 character does nothing to help me know the relative effectiveness of each individual build through mainstat, damage type, and/or critical chance.
And of course a 1st level character will never tell me about the dam/def balance
And about seeing my name high up on the ladder of course.

See point 1, reset every 6-12 months. This was implemented in D3 and was called Era

The thought that I’m in vain now collecting shards for other classes and all the possible Tier 7 and unique things for all classes kills me.

I hate starting over, I like to “start” any build/class with some conditional 200 corruption in case of a meta change.

1 Like

I meant this just to take a peek at the builds others are using in the ladder. You could internally compare it with your progress in the permanent league. I guess this is not the same for you - just some possible workaround to scratch the itch at least a bit :wink:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just check it on the Last Epoch site ladder?

You think so? You would have to tab out the game :wink:

But thanks for sharing. Didn’t know this existed.

Also, it should be noted that you don’t need a cycle character to check the cycle ladder. You can do that with any character, even in legacy.

Is it clearer as a whole?

The merits of non-season ladder aren’t in question here. The only issue is how many players actually care about leaderboard to make it worth spending time implementing and managing this. Given that the vast majority in seasons don’t care about them, that number is even higher in non-season.
It’s one of those things that might be nice to have down the line, but it would be way down the line as there are much more important things to add to the game that attract more players, like more endgame mechanics.

Anyone who doesn’t care about them doesn’t watch them and doesn’t try to get there.
But everyone is trying to get there, even if they don’t even admit it to themselves.
And 99% watch them.
This means that they are needed.

Sorry but it is false dilemma, considering that the code is ready, it just needs to be implemented.