Potential Formosus Abuse + Lack of Clarity

When combatting Formosus in the Blood, Frost, and Death timeline, the quest is not completed by killing Formosus, but he still drops loot. This presents 2 issues:

• I didn’t read the quest objective closely enough, and TP’d out right away, thinking that killing Formosus was sufficient. I got my boss loot drops, of course that’s the end of the timeline, right? This was a feels-bad moment where I had to finish another echo for more stability, and then do the fight again in order to actually complete the monolith and move on to the next. Having the boss drop loot immediately is a bit of a confusing signal that the task is complete. Perhaps it should instead be in a chest behind the wengari, locked to the dialog and thus to completing the timeline?

• Since Formosus still dropped loot, it’s pretty easy to intentionally not complete the quest, and just grind out 1 echo, boss fight, rinse and repeat in order to farm unique drops much quicker

I haven’t tested any other timelines for this same problem, though the Fall of the Outcasts timeline does come to mind. Somewhat similar in that the boss drops loot, but you don’t actually complete the timeline until speaking with the spirits. However in this case, the arena is a bit smaller and the spirits spawn in the middle, so it’s is nearly impossible to miss them. In the Formosus fight, the wengari is caged at the top edge, and unless the kill by chance occurs up there, the ? indicator and interactable NPC are off-screen and won’t be something immediately obvious.

I’m undecided about the “are you sure” style dialog that PoE uses when TP’ing out of lab/delve/whatever. While this would certainly address the first issue, but doesn’t feel very elegant. However, since LE doesn’t have an XP penalty for death, TP’ing out of a deadly situation isn’t really a thing anyways (except on HC maybe), so perhaps such a dialog would be okay in this scenario.

If I recall from my same mistake, Formosus drops loot but will not drop another timeline unique, and his other loot isn’t that good. But yes, I make this mistake all the time. I wish that the treasure didn’t drop until you talked.

That exploit was patched quite a while ago. Did you actually perform the exploit successfully, or are you only extrapolating that it is possible to do so?

Just thinking about potential abuse, I haven’t actually tested anything

Yeah if you kill the boss a 2nd time he will not drop any boss specific loot, that was fixed a few patches ago.

It is not intended and will never be intended

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.