Poorly Telegraphed High Damage Abilities

The various 3 Spire Echos have been a real problem for me, even after I maxxed resists:

• The frequency of the bombings could be once every 30 or 60 seconds, and still achieve the goal of being an ongoing nuisance…
  • My disintegrate Mage has to get into position, stop, cast some skills, launch into a disintegrate, and by the time the mob is nearly dieing, im already about to get 1-shot by the next 3 bombs, and I die if teleport isnt ready as running is too slow… then repeat ever few seconds x100 for the echo. Its not fun!

Spires do suck against a more immobile/stationary build, but:

Resistances in LE are just one of many defensive layers.

First of capping resistances is not necessary in LE, because they behave very different in terms of effectiveness compared to other similar games
And every builds needs more than one defensive layers.

That’s being said, you can facetank spires until a certain difficulty point.
It’s very much possible. But at a certain point, when it is no longer possible i can definitely see that playing in a Spires Echo can be annoying when playing disintergrate.

1 Like

Big understatement there

more like playing on 215+ Corruption with mods such as "Deadly if not damaged’ or any damage mods my Forge Guard with 15+20% dmg reduction almost gets killed depending on the spire with 5-8k armor from a few spires. they also have 100k HP and dont die immediately.

lots of end game monolith stuff is just not though out well

I have a question about the Mutilate ability in Puncture. I’ve been trying a few different things to see how much damage I can do with it, but in all honesty, I don’t think it works very well.

How does Mutilate determine the 3rd Puncture shot to mutilate? Does it determine it by the number of bow shots you’ve taken? So your third bow shot will always mutilate when you use puncture with it? Or is it the third cast of the Puncture ability?

I messed with it for awhile and I think its doing it off of the third bow shot, which can get difficult to determine sometimes. What I’ve been doing is using flurry with high bleed chance to build up a bunch of bleed stacks on an enemy, then “popping” them with Puncture, but the damage is highly highly inconsistent, and it seems like it cuts off all bleed stacks, but doesn’t add all the stacks that it cuts off.

I tried running Mutilate for awhile, then recently turned it off, and my DPS went WAYYYY up.
So I don’t believe the stack count check is working properly with mutilate.

All Mutilate does is make any bleeds on the target do all of their damage immediately, it only front-loads your damage. The only thing that is based on the number of stacks is how much you get healed. It’s entirely possible that it could be bugged.

Yeah I know what it does, I wanted to use it to “burst” bosses by flurrying up their bleed stacks til i see some high stack hits then puncture it to mutilate it.

I stopped using it because it wasn’t working right. I can tell that it definitely increased my damage by stopping using it. I think if the stack is just starting or hasn’t ticked yet, and puncture is used to mutilate, it doesn’t mutilate that bleed stack. if that makes sense. You have to wait for the bleed to tick first, before mutilate will recognize it.

Sounds a bit wonky, I’ll try & do some testing on it tomorrow if I remember.

Spreading Frost can give me some trouble sometimes when the elementals kind of stack on top of each other and charge up Frost Blast and it’s hard to tell who is charging it in which direction.

And most recently I slapped an Anomaly bubble on op of them and that just makes the whole thing a pile of white, haha.

I think this boss could just use one of those line telegraph things on the ground. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Small ranged enemies have a tendency for the whole pack to attack at once leading to huge burst damage. It’s particularly noticable with the axe throwing wengari.

2 Likes

Avalanche is the worst offender, IMO.

I feel like unless I’m currently in motion, the time between ground effect and hit is ridiculously small for how much damage it does, how likely it is to stun, how much total area the spell covers, and that the area is constantly in motion.

Both Avalanche and Earthquake require more reaction speed than I’d like, lol

Some of the new monsters have a PoE vibe about them, and not in a good way.

• Snake Ruby Captain - fire slam is visually indistinguishable from his regular attack and requires godly reaction time to dodge with movement ability. Almost a guaranteed oneshot for less tanky characters.
  • Scarab riders don’t really oneshot, but do big damage and stun, while attacking off-screen without any way to counteract it.
  • Teleporting rogues (whatever they are called). Not oneshot either, but a group of them can be very dangerous for a character without block or dodge, without a way to counteract it, because of an instant teleport. Other fast enemies at least have a leap animation, so you can dodge them.
  • Majasa’s swipe attacks in second phase don’t have any indication, have a huge area, so you either have to facetank it, or constantly keep distance. I didn’t have a problem with this on a paladin (tanked) or mage (teleported around), but melee classes with less defenses may have troubles with it.

Name: scarab rider
Attack: the one where they throw a spear, dealing damage
i dont have a clip or anything sadly

I found the projectile both very fast and hard to see, which makes it really difficult to react to. this, combined with decent damage (and stun chance?) as well as the ability to be thrown from offscreen, makes this a super frustrating ability to die to.

Also, even onscreen, the attack windup is not overly clear and porportional to the abilities danger to me, especially since the projectile ist really fast an hard to see.
This might just be lack of experince with a new enemy tho

Orobyss - poison/void configuration. After charging at the player, he drops a line of poison pools. From the few combats I’ve done, this feels like a single combo attack rather than 2 distinct abilities, but I’m not very confident about this.

After dodging the void charge, it feel like the perfect time to pop all my cooldowns and unload maximum DPS, but then all of a sudden I’ve got a bunch of poison stacks and start panicking. A short delay between the void charge and poison pools would be nice. Even better would be an indicator similar to other line attacks. For example: the flame gout from Elder Pannion, the necrotic wave from soul vessels, the fire attacks from Argentus or the ballistae, the cold blasts from Formosus, etc

1 Like

Just raise the camera. being able to see more of the situation would be great. too many off-screen aggro monsters to report them one by one.

We can’t “just” do that and we likely won’t. Raising the camera would have a lot of knock on effects, such as environments looking weird or you being able to see outside the map, and likely cause other problems. What we would rather do is limit the range of some of those enemy abilities that are not okay. So writing about which ones feel particularly unfair would be good.

1 Like

I definitely think that there shouldn’t be any skills that can be cast from off-screen (the embermages’ meteor is probably the most egregious example of this).

5 Likes

Embermage and Osprix Lightmage are tied, imho.

1 Like

You know, another option is to downsize all the models - characters, monsters and maybe spells. I have felt that with the latest patch, the amount of large size mobs (+rampant) in an encounter have been too much in some area and is detrimental to the visual clarity. Though, i have no idea how much work that would take (sounds like a lot).

Second this one. Of all of the Shade of Orobyss’ attacks, the line of poison pools appears to not have much of any telegraph. While most of the Shade’s attacks are preceded by some sort of vocal announcement, I never hear any warning of this attack in particular. I’m just left being hypervigilant every second I’m fighting the Poison Shade for the pools to come out.