Poorly Telegraphed High Damage Abilities

Both Avalanche and Earthquake require more reaction speed than I’d like, lol

Some of the new monsters have a PoE vibe about them, and not in a good way.

• Snake Ruby Captain - fire slam is visually indistinguishable from his regular attack and requires godly reaction time to dodge with movement ability. Almost a guaranteed oneshot for less tanky characters.
  • Scarab riders don’t really oneshot, but do big damage and stun, while attacking off-screen without any way to counteract it.
  • Teleporting rogues (whatever they are called). Not oneshot either, but a group of them can be very dangerous for a character without block or dodge, without a way to counteract it, because of an instant teleport. Other fast enemies at least have a leap animation, so you can dodge them.
  • Majasa’s swipe attacks in second phase don’t have any indication, have a huge area, so you either have to facetank it, or constantly keep distance. I didn’t have a problem with this on a paladin (tanked) or mage (teleported around), but melee classes with less defenses may have troubles with it.

Name: scarab rider
Attack: the one where they throw a spear, dealing damage
i dont have a clip or anything sadly

I found the projectile both very fast and hard to see, which makes it really difficult to react to. this, combined with decent damage (and stun chance?) as well as the ability to be thrown from offscreen, makes this a super frustrating ability to die to.

Also, even onscreen, the attack windup is not overly clear and porportional to the abilities danger to me, especially since the projectile ist really fast an hard to see.
This might just be lack of experince with a new enemy tho

Orobyss - poison/void configuration. After charging at the player, he drops a line of poison pools. From the few combats I’ve done, this feels like a single combo attack rather than 2 distinct abilities, but I’m not very confident about this.

After dodging the void charge, it feel like the perfect time to pop all my cooldowns and unload maximum DPS, but then all of a sudden I’ve got a bunch of poison stacks and start panicking. A short delay between the void charge and poison pools would be nice. Even better would be an indicator similar to other line attacks. For example: the flame gout from Elder Pannion, the necrotic wave from soul vessels, the fire attacks from Argentus or the ballistae, the cold blasts from Formosus, etc

1 Like

Just raise the camera. being able to see more of the situation would be great. too many off-screen aggro monsters to report them one by one.

We can’t “just” do that and we likely won’t. Raising the camera would have a lot of knock on effects, such as environments looking weird or you being able to see outside the map, and likely cause other problems. What we would rather do is limit the range of some of those enemy abilities that are not okay. So writing about which ones feel particularly unfair would be good.

1 Like

I definitely think that there shouldn’t be any skills that can be cast from off-screen (the embermages’ meteor is probably the most egregious example of this).

5 Likes

Embermage and Osprix Lightmage are tied, imho.

1 Like

You know, another option is to downsize all the models - characters, monsters and maybe spells. I have felt that with the latest patch, the amount of large size mobs (+rampant) in an encounter have been too much in some area and is detrimental to the visual clarity. Though, i have no idea how much work that would take (sounds like a lot).

Second this one. Of all of the Shade of Orobyss’ attacks, the line of poison pools appears to not have much of any telegraph. While most of the Shade’s attacks are preceded by some sort of vocal announcement, I never hear any warning of this attack in particular. I’m just left being hypervigilant every second I’m fighting the Poison Shade for the pools to come out.

seeing outside map is not intended so bad , you can solve it by some “visual Tricks” like static background or just black … but the problem of enviroment sounds huge… also i intended which other problems can come out like the need to remodel a lot of stuff , btw thx for the answer. keep your job hard guys , this game got such potential , you can destroy other developers with this game.
actually even at this state is a 8/10 value as we say while play gg wp :slight_smile:

So much this! This is ruining the Arena for players. I don’t know if there is even a telegraph for this mob because you can hardly see anything in the Arena anyway. With 165% fire resistance I should not be blown away by a 1 shot doing a 45 - 50 Arena level. And while we’re here I was “sucker-punched” by another mob at about the same level there. The newer mobs have made it so I won’t even run the Arena anymore so I’m moving on until you get this fixed. Running MOF is not enough to do and I’ve already done the campaign more than 20 times. Who on your team thinks this kind of one shot is fun?

1 Like

I can give an example of a poorly telegraphed attack. The emperor or bones fight I couldn’t tell whether I was supposed to run out of the circle or run closer to him and I ended up dying.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with this statement. Of all my (rather few) arena runs the meteor dudes were the most ridiculous. It was my 2nd or 3d arena run total, and all of a sudden I got blasted to 10% hp by the bunch of these meteors. I was like “Ok, let’s try not to get hit by this again, but seriously though, WHO THE F…K IS DOING THIS?! Where can I find you?”

I then found some unassuming mage-ish looking dudes in white (?) robes, standing still, casting, and I figured that must be them, but honestly, I’m not 100% sure.

What’s even more annoying, is that these meteors seem to follow you after teleport. I.e. if you begin casting TP when the circle is under your feet, the meteor will follow you through TP. Though, I’m not 100% sure about this.

It was them.

I think a lot of people agree on this concept in general - I hate being lightning blasted from off screen from a mob I havent seen yet… or siege golem dropping a fire missle and I havent a clue which direction he is in until I kite around or the missle comes from somewhere…

For me its the How to implement this that causes the confusion/complication:

For example… on a 1080p screen, I dont want someone dropping a meteor on me from off screen… But what happens if I am using a widescreen resolution like 2560x1080 or 3440x1440? Many more mobs would be on the screen… In Arena mode, the mobs are all aggro’d so in widescreen you would have a disadvantage as they would be hitting you from on-screen, but at their maximum targetting distance…

Aggro’d mobs in normal mode is also an issue with you aggroing mobs and running off screen so their attacks could be following you - i.e. they launched the attack when you were on screen but you moved offscreen and it followed…

Perhaps it should be based on distance from the mob to the player character… but what would this distance be considering different screen resolutions (whats near or far or onscreen?) and when the ranged attack launched it was in targetting distance, but you moved away…

Which then comes to another issue… how far should ranged attackes continue… only onscreen, off screen by x distance… infinitely till it hits something… what about screen resolution affecting these giving some people advantage or disadvantage based on their screen res…

And then how does this all affect the game performance trying to processes this for things that are not on screen or calculating distances for each attack many more times than currently etc…

I am sure there is a solution but its definitely not just saying “No attacks from offscreen”

Does the resolution really change anything? I recall one reason that devs cannot zoom out more is because of technical limitation of what can be shown on the screen when zoomed out (out of bound area etc)

Yes, with a higher res you can see further. Either @TriKster or @XLVI_carpo has an ultrawide monitor & they can see other eras…

1 Like

I can see double the area with my Ultrawide Screen (of course only to the sides).

It’s an advantage because you see enemies from further away. You can land skills with range higher than half the screen.

There are some issues in some areas where I can see further than the levels boundaries (I think there are only 2 areas though. But that’s not a technical issue, just the level designer didn’t build big enough :grin:

1 Like

@EHG_Mike, nerf Raw plz tks bai.

1 Like