Playing Sentinal Class Makes LE Perma Freeze!

Honeslty, was hoping the new patch they just released would fix this issue. Sadly, it doesn’t. I switch from using lunge to using shield rush and 20 minutes playing the game perma froze.

I have no clue what could be causing this to happen am kinda pointing to skills that could be the culprit either that or something internal with the code. I 100% know its not my end because I can run battlefield 2042 right now and would be able to play that more demanding game for hours with no issues, so its a last epoch issue/bug that is causing this to happen to people.

At this point i’m going to play a different game until this MAJOR issue is resolved. Its not a fun experience when your game constantly freeze locks after 5 to 20 minutes of playing.

I’m also not the only one experiencing this issue here are some other thread links

DxDiag.txt (114.8 KB)
Player.log (54.5 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (490 Bytes)
Player.log (201.3 KB)

Have you tried verifying the game files to see if it fixes the issue?

Yes, and I deleted the graphics file as well, and the game still per freezes within 5 to 10 minutes of playtime. I appreciate the help but this is on your end. I’m not the only one experiencing the perma freeze with sentinel skills like smite, lunge, shield rush.

I don’t mean to be confrontational, but this issue has been going on for 2 days now ever since the Beta 0.9i patch.

I’m looking into this. Based on the logs the only lead I have is that something may have gone wrong with the installation, even if Steam’s integrity check passed.
Could you try reinstalling the game?
I know that’s annoying to hear, sorry about that, but we’ve got to rule out any weird installation problems before we can consider other possibilities.

Once you’ve reinstalled the game, if the problem still occurs: if you don’t use the skills you mentioned, are you able to play for long sessions without a crash? Does using these skills seem to lead to the crash, or is having them on your action bar sufficient?

We’ve been unable to reproduce this internally, so any information you can provide helps us figure this out.

I know for sure that the freezing happens on skill use, If I just sat in a town and went afk the game wouldn’t freeze. I’m using Warpath, Smite, and switch from lunge to Shield rush. The game still perma froze while using those skills in combination with each other. I’m not sure which exact skill is casuing the issue.

I will re-install today and get back to you…I’m currently, in a zoom meeting. So please check back to this thread in about 30 minutes.

Update: So just reinstalled the game booted it up loaded my sentinel paladin and played for about 5 minutes and it perma froze again! I get 2 little lag spikes right before the perma freeze.
I’m currently using Warpath, Smite, and Shield rush and have also used lunge as well all ending up with perma freezing between 5 to 10 minutes of play.

Prior to the latest patch was able to play for 5 hours straight without issue. This perma freezing just started happening since patch Beta 0.9i and still persists with the most recent patch. This makes the game unplayable…

What I have done:

• Reinstalled the game
  • Verified Steam Files returned Passed
  • Disabled overlays on Steam, Discord
  • Deleted my graphicsmanager.ini file to reset it
  • Made sure my pc drivers are all up to date
  • Restarted My Pc

le_graphicsmanager.ini (490 Bytes)
Player.log (38.6 KB)
Player.log (201.3 KB)
DxDiag.txt (114.8 KB)

Are you able to play without freezing by not using those skills, such as playing another character that’s a different class?

I have 3 sentinel classes 1 level 50 and the other level 80 and those 2 had no issues playing no freezing. I think the cause is lunge and shield rush maybe even all traversal skills for sentinel.

My other 2 sentinel classes was using void cleave as a movement skill which didn’t cause any freezing of the game. So, maybe the lunge and shield rush skill were causing this perma freeze even prior to the Beta 0.9i patch.

Here is a link to the build causing issues it might be useful knowing what skill tree’s i have for each skill Paladin, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.9.0i) - Last Epoch Build Planner

Update: been playing longer then usual only using warpath, smite and rive. I haven’t used Shield Rush, or lunge. I think its those movement skills causing the perma freeze…yep been playing for 15 minutes now no perma freeze because I haven’t used Shield Rush or lunge

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

So your just going to not respond?

Thank you for the info. We’ll look for a repro case involving those skills and nodes, but it’ll take some time to go through it, and I can’t guarantee if we’ll find anything. Freezes can be difficult to track down.

In the meantime, if you come across any additional details about which action in particular might be the cause, please do let us know.

I told you its lunge and shield rush that is causing the perma freeze…I been able to play fine for 1 hour now only using warpath, smite, rive and holy aura. When ever I use Shield Rush or Lunge the game has 2 miro freezes then full perma freezes after about 5 minutes of using Lunge or Shield Rush. Its the skills causing the issue!

I have also been experiencing this with some more testing as well. When I use lunge with autocast smite from the skill tree, I also get those micro freezes around about 30 uses. If I stop using lunge after the first or second micro freeze and zone to another zone, it’s almost like the uses are reset and I can lunge for up to about 30 times in the new zone then start getting freezes again. On the third use after getting micro freezes it crashes the game. It’s almost like there is a loop in the code that keeps building until it reaches infinite and then crashes the game. The first two freezes are indications of large numbers being processed, then infinite and perma freeze on last use. Could be totally off but have run into errant loops like this in other projects. It seems to be tied to the auto use of smite during a traversal skill or possible some calculations happening during the traversal that add up over time.

1 Like

Yeah this happens with Shield Rush skill as well.

We’ve found the issue. And you were exactly right, DracoSeraph.
Until we get a fix deployed, the workaround is to either avoid casting Smite or avoid casting traversal skills. Not ideal, but it will allow you to play the game until we get the fix out at least.

1 Like

I had no issue with smite at all, maybe its a certain skill tree node. The main skills that caused me to perma freeze were lunge, shield rush. I’m guessing all traversal skills have this issue for sentinel class?

I also have crashes on using Lunge, but i use no autocast with Smite.
It seems to crash an using Lunge multiple times.
Verifying game files dosent fix the issue.
The Patch today doesn´t make it better.
DxDiag.txt (110.6 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (479 Bytes)
Player.log (253.6 KB)

The issue does not require Smite to be cast, only for it to be present on your action bar while using traversal skills.
Today’s patch didn’t include this fix. We’ll likely try to get this into a hotfix next week, though I can’t make any promises.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.