Performance issues

I’m having some really terrible performance issues, my fps will drop down to 20 in some maps, I’ve noticed it’s only with some, ruined city being a huge offender, I have a gtx 1080 with an i5 7600k so it’s not my computer, any idea what I can do to fix this? If not, will these issues be addressed soon?

Hey…

I would need more specifics on your system setup to give you a decent reply but generally LE is unoptimised and has performance related issues…

Barring known issues that EHG are fixing (like the recent crafting UI fps spike) the general consensus is to be a little more conservative to enjoy the game more at the moment. Obviously if you find specific repeatable fps problems like the ones reported in the bug section (Crafting UI, Moon Spire etc) then log those so that they can be checked.

It is pretty heavy on GPU usage right now and this is usually exacerbated by using higher settings/higher resolutions and leaving framerate limiting off… CPU wise it has its moments especially when it is having to calculate multiple procs on multiple minions/mobs but its ok.

For example:
I use a 1060 3Gb i5-7500 on 1080p and every in-game setting to very low or disabled…
If I leave it framerate unlimited, I can get about 105fps but my GPU maxes out 95% of the time, the game gets very unstable (freezes/crashes) and suffers from 40fps spikes in various situations.
If I set the framerate to between 55-60fps (NOT vsync) then I get MUCH better stability, the GPU averages around 60-70% usage and any fps spikes are far less pronounced.

So… Not knowing your res or ingame settings, for your 1080 I would suggest you play around to find something that works for you…

As your 1080 is roughly 75-100% faster than my 1060 then at the same res & settings I use, you should be able to get around 100fps with stable gameplay etc… Obviously if you increase res & settings then this FPS will reduce dramatically…

Key points…

Do not use any in-game graphic quality setting above High - especially if you are running higher than 1080p and definitely if the game is already unstable on your system. In fact, there are lots of players who use 3080s who have found that Medium is the most stable average setting at 1440p or higher.

You must use the framerate limiting option - not vsync - its the only thing that keeps LE in check and prevents the game maxing out your GPU usage… Set it to your monitor capabilities (Hz) or lower based on watching GPU usage while playing - you dont want the game averaging in the 80-90% as things get pretty unstable when spikes occur…

Obviously when EHG gets to optimising the game then we can all enjoy the eye-candy… for now its not worth it.

Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it. I guess it’s just the game not being optimized then? I already have it on the lowest settings and the frame rate capped. I just don’t understand how you’re getting higher fps, I have chrome open, but almost nothing else is running in the background

Are there any settings I could change under the nvidia control panel that would help?

Well… I dont know what your unlimited fps should be because I dont think the fps increase is linear but I would expect that on the absolute lowest settings like I play, your unlimited fps should be up around 120+? I doubt the game will be stable and is likely not doing your GPU any favours but thats what I guess…

What kind of rates are you getting if you let it run free on the lowest settings?

Obviously with LE in its current state we cannot expect much but it shouldnt drop down to 20fps if you are using my settings… The only time I get to that kind of framerate is if I have screen full of mobs and am trying to wipe them all at the same time and the fps just tanks the moment I hit the skill… For me normal play going from mob pack to mob pack or engaging a boss drops to the 40s and back up to the 55fps limit I set occassionally dipping into the late 30s if its a busy moment…

If you are not getting decent rates then there are two immediate possibilities here…

One is related to a Windows patch from April (KB5001330 and KB5001337 ) which seriously messed up peoples gaming fps… and the other is graphic drivers - there are sometimes odd hiccups with drivers… so you may want to roll back and driver or two and see if it makes any difference… (or update to the latest if you are using an old one).

The windows update should however be fixed by now unless there is something happening with updates on your system… Check the windows update history for those to KB references and uninstall them if they are there…

Specific Nvidia driver changes… nah… I leave everything on default… I will occassionally force performance mode - I prefer smooth game vs eye-candy - but beyond that I take defaults…

You could also monitor your GPU temps and clock frequencies and see if it is dropping rates on the fly - a guy with a 3080 found that an updated driver just throttled the s*%t out of this all the way down to 300Mhz… and he was getting 7fps…

Other than that I’d need more info… like a dxdiag report or something to see whats happening on your machine…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.