Pause

I’m gonna be honest, being unable to pause a single-player game just feels like the devs are harboring an aggressive hatred for us. I’m sure they aren’t. I’m sure it’s just a lousy, stupid design decision that one guy on the team whose name is probably Jeff and who smells like tuna fish all the time won’t let go of.

Look, I’m a grown ass man. People have jobs and families and need to click on a different youtube video because autoplay brought up Forbes again. I have things I need to do and this game is not a marriage. There shouldn’t be any penalty or inconvenience for needing to step away for a little while.

Let us pause the damn game.

6 Likes

There is literally no penalty for opening the menu and leaving to the character screen or exiting game. Other than arena which pauses every 5 waves anyways

1 Like

10 Likes

Hehehehe. (Getting around stupid forums rules)

I wish I could like your reply more than once.

1 Like

Mobs have tiny agro ranges in this game anyway, I reguarly go AFK inside monoliths all the time

You can also go AFK during Spire mono’s as long as you dont move at the beginning of the map, infact not moving means you arent technically loaded in and nothing targets you, nothing targets you outside pretty much 2 screens apart from Spires anyway

Sometimes I go afk for up to an hour and forget LE is even logged in. Ive done this in PoE as well entered a map and immediately went AFK forgot - died and lost 3 hours of XP

Dunno, not being able to pause the game works well for me as I also use it to my advantage ‘sorry I cannot do dishes/answer the phone/take out cat shit as im fighting…a boss and cannot pause the game…’ then proceed to play for another 35 minutes when I wasnt fighting a boss anyway

You obviously arent married… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Those words would get you sleeping on the couch for a week…

1 Like

As much as I’d like to agree, the problem isn’t a “lousy, stupid design decision” from where I see it. The issue is that this is beta for an online game that won’t be paused. Maybe when they go live they could add a pause for the single-player mode.

Yes I agree with @Shrukn about the “tiny agro ranges” but there are areas that I’ve been killed in due to a roaming enemy, or one that somehow was nowhere around when I left my keyboard.

All being said, I’ve never played an online game that you could pause, and that’s what this is going to be and it’s only in beta being tested for that.

1 Like

Beta/Early Access (in the way that EHG are using it) is by definition not feature complete, so that they’ve not done it yet is not due to them having an irrational hatred of single players.

That said, I can’t remember what they have said about implementing a pause in SP.

I’m pretty sure Mike responded to a question about this during a stream. And if I remember well, it was something like “probably at launch or after launch”.

I -think- some hardcore players in PoE sometimes kill their game client when they even feel they might die in a sticky situation. (correct if wrong, or if Im almost correct lol)

I think the same would happen for LE hardcore players, except pausing would allow them a quick look of the situation, and judge if they should, indeed, kill it and reload.

This is more a niche point, but I feel is still relevant to mention.

They have a log out macro for that. IMO it’s cheating but GGG allow it because so many people use it. Though if they’re using a method to avoid dieing in HC, why play HC?

3 Likes

I completely agree. With net connection and other such issues that are ‘out of player control’, I can’t justify playing HC. But they enjoy it, so to each their own!

1 Like

Totally agree, it’s completely cheating. As you said, why play HC at all if you’re going to cheat the whole ethos of HC? I think those guys only play HC to be able to say “I play HC, I am a real player (who cheats to avoid death)”. Real man, grr grr, very tall, large muscles, grrr grrr. :roll_eyes:

Welcome aboard Gruevy. I see you’re new, so you might have missed some of the manifesto etc. I think that it’s not a case of “Jeff”, but more a case that this whole game atm is nothing more than a test vehicle for a Multiplayer Online Game and has been written that way. In that type of game you can’t “pause” it anyway. Now, I see their latest roadmap also includes an “offline” mode. So, perhaps they’ll now address that “pause” feature for you?

At least then you’ll be able to take that shower in a relaxed way… (awesome work Tny)

Myself, I just either loiter briefly in an already cleared spot, or if it’s going to be a 5 min afk I just exit the mono. If it’s for a shower though…

1 Like

While I agree with the usefulness of a pause button for people who are married, have kids or for any other reason that someone needs to quickly stop a game they are playing, how this post was worded is certainly too aggressive.

2 Likes

Completely agree, the aggression was not needed at all to convey the point of the thread.

This is possibly slightly unrelated and I hate to be the portent of doom, but I fear that the latest season just released of another arpg will be driving more new players into our community from theirs. Indeed, I suspect quite a few of us arrived here from there originally. Whilst that is a good thing, it is also worth bearing in mind that the community they are coming from has been an aggressive “free for all” for the last 2 years that I can remember. It is not only the obligation of the LE team, but also us here to remind these newcomers that our community is a friendly, non toxic one just like that other one used to be about 3 years ago. It is down to all of us to ensure that this place does not follow that same path that made the other place’s forums a horrible venue to post anything.

1 Like

It’s really hard to say. And that’s the problem with the internet. I could actually see how OP is intended to be playful banter. But yes, it’s totally possible he sincerely believe the dev team are retards.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.