Overall feedback about game from arpg veteran standpoint

Yes after you get it channeled for 20 mana per second (so 5-6sec of channeling at best before you are oom) so i dont think its good comparison, since he was talking about 0 mana aoe / semi-aoe skill

1 Like

Sometimes when playing i was able to continue casting my spells/attacks even if mana bypassed zero (negative values), is it intentional or an exploit that should be fixed?

I think channeled skills and skills that you rapidly cast can sometimes go a little bit into the negative and still being able to cast a few times.

I never had a situations where it felt like a exploit.

What are you calling “ascendancy” in Diablo 3?
You can’t change your class in D3, as you can’t change your mastery in Last Epoch. I’ve heard it’s the same in PoE. In fact, the only game I know where you can change ALL is Wolcen because there is no “class”.
When you’re at level 70 in D3, you can change all your skills and runes. In Last Epoch, you can but you have to respec paritally the skills. It’s true that can appear as a drawback, but it’s very easy and quick to get the points back.

All games don’t have to be and feel the same. Each game has design decisions that define it and its identity.

You can change your ascendancy in PoE if you rerun the lab & choose a different ascendancy.

Ascendancy is something like Mastery? Ok, then.

Yes Ascendancy is the closest thing compared to Mastery in LE.
It’s a Sub-Class.

I also think, just because one game is doing it a certain way, other games don’t need to do it the same.

There are about a quadrillion threads about respec already.

PoE lives of a very free skill system in general.
LE doesn’t even try to give the player (almost) unlimited freedom, it gives alot of very themed restrictions and i really like that.

I agree that there should be less echos, but the echos should be longer. Sometimes it takes me only a minute to complete an echo. I can’t imagine doing this in mp. Echoes could also go over more than one area similar to Rifts in D3.

And the checkpoints in arena are also a great idea, because even if you have a meta defining build that can go 600 waves, we might never find out, because some players might not have the time or patience to go through 600 waves in one go.

That’s exactly it!

I myself very much like that as well, like Lich is… well leeching, Necro minions, Spellblade melee mage, Sorcerer heavy hitting mana caster etc i really do like it a lot. This wouldnt really change if you could switch mastery, just saves you hours of leveling unnessessary leveling process.

Why not go further and make the class changable as well? You should start at level 100 with BiS gear to save you hours of unnecessary gear farming.

3 Likes

While I see your point, I think it’s not as absurd to voice that respecing of classes should be a thing as you make it appear. In most ARPGs you only have 5-6 classes. In LE you have to level up 15 characters to try out all the fun builds out there.

That said, at first I was also not a fan of leveling up 15 characters, but now Im in favor of not being able to change the mastery, because it makes the decision more meaningful and it increases the longevity of the game. Once seasons will be a thing, you might have each time the opportunity to level up a completely new and unique class/mastery for 15 seasons, that is not including seasonal events, reworks and further additions.

This is part of it for sure. The fact that the first 20 or so levels are the same really doesn’t help either.

Been playing Lost Ark and one of the nice things they’ve got going is you get your “mastery” at level 10 (basically right after the tutorial) and once you’ve done it with your “base” class, you can skip straight to the mastery class for that base class each time.

The other nice thing is faster access to your “mastery” skills, so you immediately feel like you’re playing a different class/build.

Outriders is similar, once you get to a specific part of the main quest where you choose your class you can skip that section on subsequent characters, though it’s not a particularly large amount of game you’re skipping.

Grim Dawn has 9 subclasses and you combine 2 of them to create a class, which means there are 9*8/2 = 36 combinations. You cannot change your class in Grim Dawn, you have to level a new character for whatever combination you want to try. That’s the purpose of the game to build a new character from level 1.

Being able to respec everything at max level can be fun for some time but it’s basically like playing/watching the last 5 minutes of a football game or the last 5 laps of an F1 race. Yes, it will save you hours of unnecessary time spent as you will know who wins either way but is it really the best way to do it? For some, maybe but lots of people like to enjoy the whole match and the whole race even if it might be boring at some parts.

1 Like

As I wrote, I agree with you, I just don’t think that snarky comments are the best way to convey that message.

This releveling is not “unnecessary” it’s part of what gives this decision alot of weight.

You have a plethora of different skills already before choosing the mastery, more than you could ever use on one character.
And even if you play a very similar builds, the skill spec trees will give you plenty of variety.

Good to know. Been looking to pick it up, but I’ve been holding off till the server issues are fixed and the devs are done swinging the nerf bat at anything that remotely works.

I don’t really see or feel the need to try out different skill tree specs (or skills for that matter) for the first 20 or so levels even with different builds. It’s generally just easier to go with your go-to leveling build for the class then respec once you have enough core pieces for your real build.

Not to mention there are no challenging campaign encounters at that stage that’ll really tell you how effective a skill is, so any experimentation feels meaningless.

Don’t mind me, I tend to be an arrogant prick before lunch.

1 Like

Everybody is different and that’s OK…
I agree especially with the difficulty.
But since the difficulty is generally so low. You can very easily test and try out alot of stuff.

That’s one of the reasons why I don’t understand people complaining that respecting feels to punishing (but that’s an entire different topic).

To get on the initial topic again:
I feel like respeccing in LE is too easy and I hope that the mastery being not respeccable will at least stay as the last thing that somewhat carries a weight in your decision making.