Opinions, Yours: Best and Worst skills in the game?

I thought I knew what fun was until I found Shield Throw with Volatile Reversal and Lunge. I feel like a mix of Captain America and Nightcrawler.

1 Like

Prior to whenever EGH updated Manifest Armor -

Worst: Manifest Armor - not because it was badly designed - the Armor just always died and did awful damage - never seemed worth investing time/gear into
Best: Abomination (however I wont play it again as I cant stand the degen on it)

After the Manifest buff - now hes a giant and ive seen a 165k //95k crit on the dummy/in monolith. Forge Guard Manifest basically IS the Abomination build I wanted without the degen and extremely tanky, can resummon him immediately etc

Best: Manifest Armor
Worst: Unsure because every skill can be saved with a rework - but some really bad skills currently are:

Forge Strike - not really a bad skill but I would love a rework with the weapons to instead of a floating mass of weird damage when 10-30 swords converge on a target that one them alone can one shot - maybe reducing it to having 4 swords but have AI like wolves

Summon Sabretooth - I tested high level gear on a pure Sabretooth setup just to test with approx 400% minion Health and easily 350-400% minion damages, the double 'only 1 companion/more HP/damage node and it dies on a single monster in 100 monoliths (this was 5-6 months ago) theres something wrong with the scaling or something

Erasing Strike/Judgement/Earthquake (non Bhuldar) - all need buffs, massive buffs. Earthquake is actually pretty strong but the other two are really bad and at this point nothing even the Smite on cast can save those skills, another major factor is Rive is just too powerful

I had the same problem :frowning: It was my first character and played it a lot.
I wanted to revamp it but the Sabretooth died to easily.
Mabye i should have build even more into minion health, it might be own fault.
At the same time i noticed other beasts having less problems.

Erasing Strike does not need a buff. If you don’t like that skill that is subjective. But it is objectively not bad.

I played dozens of different Erasing Strike Builds and they all work just fine.
Especially with the new mana regen changes you can use Erasing Strike as a single main skill without the need of any active mana regenerator.

My favourite design is Shuriken blade. So not the multiple blades but changing it to 1 big blade with a boomerang effect with poison damage. Which is sub optimal since have chosen the Bow mastery :frowning: . i didnt expect choosing that one for poison would make it way harder to scale the poison damage then melee.

My worst would be flurry for bow. I tried to go hardcore poison but its way harder to scale it with bows in comparison to daggers and swords. Also only having the option in the flurry passives to have 1 arrow instead of stacking it so you can have multiple once makes it weak for me. I actually love that its a hybrid skill so you can play it with melee weapons aswell.

With daggers etc however, you literally have those chance to potion and poison damage affixes and on idols you have those aswell.

Some bow implicits and quivers have a chance to poison. Other then that in the passives there is no damage over time if you spec into bow (while blademaster does). So when you play melee you have multiple easier options to go Poison while playing bow its way harder.

I searched every bow skill and there is only one that converts Poison into Blood.
Why isnt there an option to have it they other way around aswell.
I really would love to see something like that in the passive bow tree.
They could put it way more to the right (after the threshold line), so melee can not pick it (balance wise).

I bet with bleeding damage there are plenty of options since i saw them. But poison in my opinion with bows falls flat on its face.

The converse is also true. Just because you (or me, or anyone) like a skill doesn’t make it objectively good. There’s a reason why the OP asked for people’s opinions.

Additionally, Shrukn never said it was objectively bad, he just said that (in his opinion, per the first word of the thread title) it needed a buff.

I’m not sure I’d agree with Earthquake being “bad” either, I used a non-werebear EQ build (with Bhuldar’s Wrath, for more Earthquakes) & it worked decently well, I used Tempest Strike as a mana generator, leaped in to the target (which would hopefully proc my totems for chill giving more EQ damage) & while Fury Leap was on it’s 2.5 year cooldown (tru story bro!) I’d manually EQ & Tempest Strike.

He said:

While I agree that there always is some subjective opinion involved, that is a statement is bold.

That statement sounds very much, that he thinks it’s objectively bad.

I already played so many different sentinel builds and Erasing Strike in no application I tried was underwhelming.

Is it really a bold statement? In a thread about “what skills you do like and dislike”? Maybe it’s the language, but I really don’t think it is, plus it’s entirely his opinion which makes it as un-objective as it’s possible to me.

[quote]
That statement sounds very much, that he thinks it’s objectively bad.

[quote]
The highlighted word is the key one in that sentence. You read a negative comment about a skill that you like (Erasing Strike) & your fondness dialed his dislike of it up to 11.

Which is your opinion, it’s allowed to differ from his.

Just chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill! The devs won’t make massive alterations to stuff just on the word of one person (not even me!)

I forgot one skill… Werebear form. It’s a skill that really looks cool and seems to have great possibilities, but I find it very boring. I always ended up permanently swiping all around and doing nothing else. Walk, swipe, walk, swipe, swipe, and so on. Super cool skill, but as boring as it can be. In my opinion of course.

2 Likes

It’s funny you mention that because I considered playing one of these until I looked at the active skills. The transformation looks fun, but the active skills looked pretty generic.

1 Like

Too much investment for minimal return. Based on other selectable skills. Now if the orb did a single AOE pulse then did it is actions all at once it would be alright. It was the staff that made me look at the skill in the first place. Tried it did not like it.

I am playing this werebear EQ build. Only Charge is even used because it procs EQ and because it costs no mana (meaning permanent werebear form). I take the others off the skill bar after transforming to avoid accidentally spending mana. I only exit werebear or hardcast EQ to fight certain bugged bosses, and that probably says a lot about both skills.

1 Like

Hi there

Personally my favorite skill is springan form, I love the design (my first tabletop roleplaying character was very close to this spirit).

Then I would say that the skill I like the least is assemble abomination, I like the idea but I have a hard time to see a real use for it, so maybe one day I will like it… Otherwise for me vengeance is the least fun even if it seems to me rather well balanced

Have a nice day.

As far as skills go, I am loving the minion reworks in general. I know some more polish is needed for melee etc…but as far as fun goes, there is a lot of ways to build most of the skills depending on gameplay. Least favorite for me is reaper form. I honestly can’t pinpoint why I don’t enjoy it, apart from the tree really leaning toward buffing the skill rather than the player when it comes to offense. IE most offensive options are for reap rather than a “global” modifier for DOT damage as an example. One good example of what I would like to see in the tree for this is the stacking spell damage while remaining in form (Reaper’s Ascendance). Would love to see more interactions offensively like this. As a side not to reaper, I do dislike there being very little “viable” or strong build diversity when it comes to a reaping character ( currently the only “fun” builds ive played are essentially the same DOT builds but either Nec/Poison scaling). I do, however, think this will change a lot with the addition of Warlock, so fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Agree with you on the Anomaly, does’t really seem beneficial for the game when it is overused on one particular build.

Forge Weapon seems to work well for me, I think the problem is the enemy density doesn’t allow for the creation of more than 50 or so swords. I want like 90!!

I want less Swords but better. I hate large groups of bad minions and prefer small teams of wrecking crew - Crows are good for example

Im not ingame but Erasing Strike is approx 36-40 base mana cost and does maybe 35% of Rives damage and you also need to build into crit and mana efficiency AND a generator to use it…on a Melee skill constantly putting you in danger - you are trying to defend the skill but its ok I dont care if you like the skill but its objectively bad in comparison to anything really - If you want to write a topic on how Spriggan/Manifest armor is bad to you thats fine I am not here to try and change YOUR mind

Arguing your point of Erasing Strike is like someone giving all these points why a car that drives slower than someones walking speed ‘can be good’ even though its fundamentally worse in every way possible than to say Rive

Also the skill is based off on kill effects which most players including me hate. Devouring Orb is a good example of a bad skill that is saved by the skills in its specialization allowing it to Orbit to do damage and also spitting out explosions. Devouring Orb unspec’d is utterly useless to me

I cant remember the numbers on my VK but Rives tooltip at 20 is up to 188k and Erasing Strike ‘unspec’d’ is about 28k I put some points into damage and it gets to about 35k. My Rive 3rd hit crits for 10x the damage. Vengeance with a few points in damage is 35k and gives me 50% dmg reduction and is free…scales off attack speed and you only need Crit Multi/Void Damage on Rive so you get to focus more on other things

3 Likes

This part is so true in most games in this genre. PoE and GD get away with it because monster density gets high enough in some places to justify it, but I don’t think they’re right for LE unless that changes.

You don’t need to spec into mana efficiency to make ES work.

It feels like we are talking about different skills.
ES deals a multiple if Rive’s damage per hit.

Rive definitely has better sustained dps, but that doesn’t make it superior.

Also the on kill portion is something you don’t have to utilize to make ES good, that’s just another way of building it.

Comparing Tooltip dps of different skills also doesn’t work.
The system is not meant to compare different skill.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.