Online smaller than 1k. Are you okay?

Explain it to me, then. What value do perfectly crafted Rare items have in the endgame when Exalted, Legendary, and arguably Uniques exist as two to three tiers above them?

Because Exalted is supposed to be more gooder-er. Don’t you understand??

In all seriousness, I think as long as there was an item that you needed to promote one of the affixes to T6 / T7 that was different than just a shard, it wouldn’t make much difference. Just make that item about as rare as the other rare crafting materials so that you only get one every couple of hours and it’d be fine. It’s not like regular rares drop with affixes that make any more sense than what you see on Exalted items anyways.

Really, the downfall of any build is how many perfect Exalted items that build needs to be viable. And all items drop with a nonsensical amount of potentially useless affix combinations.

Every ARPG has to time gate you from doing what you want right away somehow, but I personally don’t think hundreds upon hundreds of hours of loot dropping that doesn’t help you is the ideal way to do that. I think somewhat difficult content, interesting dungeons and bosses and just leveling up should probably be most of it.

You have all tools you need to craft the item you want in game.

You refer to “time gates”

Its called “progression”.

If you had everything you wanted dumped on your lap in the first 5 hours of the game you’d be complaining about that too i’m sure.

2 Likes

Well it’s not really progress if you’re randomly failing your way to the goal. That’s like saying a person playing a slot machine is “progressing” their way to the jackpot. You only really get a sense of accomplishment at the end, which really just means you’re mistaking the sensation of relief for accomplishment.

It’s neither. It’s just RNG. There is no progression to RNG, because time invested doesn’t necessarily translate to goal achieved… it could be 1 drop, or 50 million drops. There is no measurable progress to it.

2 Likes

Great minds, right?

1 Like

Same here. I haven’t switched to D4, I just don’t play LE and am waiting for it to be fixed.

2 Likes

Doing your self a monumental favor by not switching to D4, may as well go play Minecraft Dungeons. Same level of theorycrafting as well as interesting loot.

1 Like

AMG? What’s that in English?

It’s not English, it’s Hysterics. It’s a spinoff of English, much like Ebonics.

I’m sorry I can’t further define it for you. I wouldn’t want these forums to become a dictionary simulator.

Ah Mah Gahd?

Just wasn’t sure what the acronym meant.

1 Like

I forgot you could actually bork your item more than the equivalent 0 forging potential, good one.

1 Like

Never heard it myself, thought they were talking about Mercedes, it was more fun that way.

1 Like

I’m not talking about end-game kith. I’m talking about the whole game.

I’ll say it again: The OP is complaining that white and blue items don’t drop with high forge potential.

If whites and blues dropped with high forge potential, anyone with any amount of time played behind them, could craft… by level 10 (maybe sooner) a complete set of gear. Each piece with the EXACT attributes they want all to high tiers (or as high as their level would allow).

I have in my inventory 29,249 shards. 1,694 runes. 1,375 glyphs.

If the game provided me with high forge potential whites and blues, I could make anything I wanted in any slot, by level 10.

I ask you these two questions Kith:

“How would providing players with the ability to forge a full complete set of of gear at the earliest levels be good game design?”

“How would a mechanic like this not make early leveling and drops irrelevant?”

I never once said these items would be valued over well rolled exalted items and/or uniques.

3 Likes

Nope.

It’s worked for PoE for 10 years, no reason it can’t work here.

Exalted drops are still better, and if you think anyone cares about grinding out perfect gear while leveling to 50, you’re out of your mind. People just throw on whatever they have and plow through the story and normal echoes without a care already, why do you think having better stats will “ruin” that “experience”?

PoE’s crafting is diametrically opposed to LE’s. All that matters in PoE is having a sufficient ilvl piece of gear & enough currency, then you pull the slot machine handle enough times to get acceptable affixes (with some ways to get it to be less likely to #### you over).

I thought the crafting in LE v PoE was fairly obviously different.

1 Like

Again… never said anyone is going to grind out perfect gear for leveling to 50.

I’m saying if you had your way, they would not have to as getting gear w/ all 4 desired affixes on each item would be as simple as grabbing whites and blues and crafting them.

I’d have it. You’d have. We’d all have it.

So to clarify, if you had your way:

Whites and blues would have high forge potential. Enabling the crafting of completely custom pieces from low player level, to max player level. Each piece with exactly the affixes desired by the crafter, and only limited by their supply of shards, glyphs and runes.

Am I correct?

I’m not sure what would be so bad about that. As long as the base stats are random and the implicits are random, people are still not going to have the “perfect” gear. And then it would actually be worth using the crafting system instead of just leveling constantly and ignoring it for the most part. What you’re describing actually sounds good to me.

Maybe the point of the loot system also shouldn’t be to have to grind hundreds or thousands of hours for Exalted items after that. I could think of a lot more fun and interesting things to do with my time in a videogame. But y’know.

What does it being different have to do with the low level experience? Especially when I was replying to an answer that suggested changing that low level experience would completely ruin the game. Yes, the crafting systems are different, but that doesn’t address my question, which was “How would having better stats at low levels have any effect on the game since the leveling experience is trivial already?”

I don’t have a “way” in this discussion, I’m just playing Devil’s Advocate. I like LE’s crafting, and I like PoE’s crafting when leveling (end-game is a whole other beast and I hate it). I simply don’t see the issue with an already trivial leveling experience, where you can put on almost literally anything and get to normal monoliths, being slightly easier and more “noob friendly,” because the “noobs” are the ones that would benefit from it the most.

Because not all items are created equal - that “complete set of gear” isn’t going to be Best In Slot for very long. A Forestry Axe drops at Level 1 and gives +23 Melee Damage, but a Refuge Axe drops at Level 5 and gives +25. The Cultist Chopper drops at Level 13 and gives +31 on top of adding a chance to Bleed, and an Obisdian Axe that drops at 64 gives +101 Melee Damage and 75% to 110% Increased Physical Damage. So sure, you could totally jazz up low-level drops to make your life easier early on, but you’re also going to want to keep hunting for better weapons to trade up to no matter what.

Levels would still matter because they’re the source of Passives and Skill Nodes, aka the core of your build. And like I just said, drops would remain relevant as you progress through the game - even something as “small” as +2 Melee Damage would be a significant bump in DPS at every stage of progression.

1 Like