One shot death is not fun

I’m a filthy casual - I own it. I turn on this game to grind out some upgrades while watching YouTube. I’ve played for weeks now, and 99% of this game is exactly the playstyle I’m looking for - the ARPG power trip. I find it incredibly frustrating to play dungeons, arenas, monoliths that are 10-15 levels below my level 75 and still get one-shotted by the boss. The dungeon key / dungeon and arena reset mechanics are beyond painful (and a jolting style inconsistent with the rest of the game). At least with a Monolith, I can quickly try it again.

I don’t want to have to run the same boss a dozen times, watch YouTubers tell me how to avoid boss attacks and other nonsense. If I wanted that, I’d play some Dark-Souls knock off garbage (hint: I’m not a fan).

It seems I’m not the only one who finds this to be the worst part of the game. This article captures my feelings pretty well:

2 Likes

“I don’t want to learn game, make game easy”.
I have said it in other thread, and will repeat here, however harsh it might sound:
If you are causal, why do you care about high-end content?
If you are hardcore, you should be used to dealing with it.
If you die in T1-T2 dungeons, your build probably just sucks or lacks gear.

2 Likes

Glad you’ve enjoyed the game for the most part, and hope you continue to.

If you’re dying a lot in monos below your level, and especially getting one-shot, then you definitely need some help with your build.

I’m not a really highly knowledgeable player, just been playing LE for a few years though. When I first started I got wiped on my first mono echo, it wasn’t a good feeling. I know understand the game enough though that I am working a build and just killed Lagon in the level 75 timeline with a level 72 character who is will “Deathless” so the learning curve is working.

The dungeons can definitely be a major challenge and many people think they’re too hard, especially if you have to run the entire dungeon again after getting killed. I have beat T4 Julra a few times but it’s really a test for me to want to.

Hope you continue to enjoy the game and don’t give up. :grinning:

Then…

:clap: Stop :clap: standing :clap: in :clap: heavily :clap: telegraphed :clap: highly :clap: damaging :clap: boss :clap: abilities :clap:

You are not describing “being a filthy casual” with this post, you are describing playing poorly.

What you find incredibly frustrating I find very well designed. Some mechancis are meant to be dealt with and the players are not able to outgear or outlevel them, to keep them relevant.

There are a lot of boss mechanics that you can outgear or outlevel and simply ignore at some point, but some you still need to deal with.

I would also not compare these types of bosses and mechanics to Dark Souls. Dark Souls (and similar games) mostly have animation or wind-up cues, while LE mostly has telegraphs with a couple of animation/wind-up cues.

LE is more similar to dungeon and raid bosses in MMO’s, like WoW for example.

I can see that redoing the entire dungeon sometiems can be frustrating when you die, but you can learn all the mechanics on lower tier dungeons before moving on to higher tiers.

T1 or T2 dungeons don’t one shot you and you can just learn the mechanics without killing the boss until you can deal with them comfortably.

1 Like

I think saying this game leans a little too heavily on one-shot kill attacks is a valid criticism.

1 Like

I agree that one-shots are bad design if they are non-telegraphed / badly telegraphed. And forum has a special thread by developers to report such cases, and hopefully they will be fixed sometime. Most boss abilities, however, do not fall into that category.

I agree with OP. Currently you can’t even go AFK during a boss fight to wash your car or take the dogs out because the bosses will certainly own you sooner or later. I suggest EHG to place a chest with boss loot at the entrance of every boss arena and make the actual kill optional. The chest could include blessings as items which can be used from your inventory.

6 Likes

I was in total agreement with you until you said this you silly scrub noob! L2P, git gud, etc.

Blessings are items.

1 Like