Offline mode

That might be true, but thats kinda not that important to the topic at hand.

its more so that the devs mention offline mode, and I think its even called “multiplayer” vs “offline” when multiplayer comes out, but its not really true offline.

I dont really care about true offline, but I am into modding. And if they decide to turn off the idea of modding which they seemed receptive to recently, that would be a real shame.

Mr Bronco I am no moder but i support moding, i am half of year without internet and i play games only at that point of time while i am in navigation. I fo not buy online games only exceprion was POE and it eat a lot of my free time at home and i deeply regret it.and i do not like to play games while i am at home since i want to live my life to the fullest while i am with my love ones. If there is no problem for u have or no have offline mode i do not understand why are u convincing people that truly needs it that they dont and that its normal to put something in planed future at early acess and than withdrawa it? Exactly no one would notice if some people wont play it couse its online only but its a matter of dicency of keeping your word since if there was 90percent of loss players couse of this they would made offline its all money calculation and nothing else#

1 Like

My problem is when people write salty threads in which they try to elevate their self-made problems into issues of ethics or morality. You happen to live a lifestyle that has you without internet for half the year. That is a you problem. You’ve chosen to go swimming, and now you are complaining that you got wet. I do not believe that complaints like this should be treated as though they are legitimate, because they’re not.

Your interest in playing LE year-round - which I will remind you is a voluntary leisure activity that is in no way necessary for you - does not outweigh EHG’s interest in preventing piracy and cheating. If EHG once said during their Beta test that they wanted to have fully offline, and then decided in the middle of their Beta test that it is in their game’s best interests not to do so, they have the right, if not the obligation, to make that decision. The idea or importance of “keeping one’s word” does not mean that people are forever shackled to everything they’ve said, no matter how it may harm them.

3 Likes

I could surely understand what kind of man u are by your comment please speak no more. For u promises are to be broken i am oposite of that and no one has foeced u to write anything here but still u chose to do so, maybe if u had a prroblem on something u would react very difeerently.
What if they changed compleate game to be same as poe during beta would u like that? No for the thinfs u wouldnt like u would complain thats what i dont like cinical people

Wait. Is this something said at today’s Mike stream? Or what?

I can understand the frustration due to the mixed messaging that’s occurred regarding an offline-only mode. The websites previous FAQ used to say there would be an offline-only mode, but then there were several developer quotes between March 26, 2021 to May 20, 2021 that brought this into question.

Fast-forward to the July 9, 2021 dev stream with the question posed to Mike Weicker and the answer he provides would make you believe that there will be an offline-only mode. This messaging stayed pretty consistent until the most recent dev stream on September 24, 2021 where this offline-only mode was again brought into question.

The back and forth messaging on the subject certainly isn’t helping the situation. Prospective buyers are told yes, there will be an offline-only mode one month and then that there might not be one the next month. It’s definitely not making anyone feel good about their purchase if they did so under the assumption that it would have an offline-only mode.

We all understand that this is a beta product and that nearly anything can change before launch, but clearly the messaging needs to be more consistent – I think we can all agree on that.

Within the FAQ section of the previous Last Epoch website:

Last Epoch will support both online-only and offline-only characters. Online-only characters will exist in server-authoritative multiplayer. Playing offline-only characters will not require an internet connection.
An internet connection will be required to update the game client, and you may need to activate the game a single time before play.

March 26, 2021

Stanzwar said the following regarding an offline mode in that same stream:

How you play now will also be possible when we have online multiplayer.

Which was soon followed by:

We’re discussing options internally. :smile: Don’t worry, we think about players like you. Right now we’re just heavily focused on trying to get it all together.

May 20, 2021

Redditt_User: My question is - Will LE be playable offline? And if yes, how will that work with mtx? I dont mind having to connect every now and then but being unable to play to bad connection is a great turn off for me.

Judd Cobler: Hey! We are exploring ways to verify cosmetic ownership in single player but it would require a request to the server. We’ll have more information on that in the near future as it’s something we’re exploring now.
Source: Redditt Link

July 9, 2021
Dev Q&A Stream - Offline-only Mode Question (YouTube Link)

July 21, 2021

Discord_User: Will the game ever be FULLY playable offline in the future?

Trasochi: This is planned.
Source: Discord Link

August 16, 2021

Discord_User: Ok, I found the answer to my question, so to play offline I will still need internet, since I need to login first which needs to be connected to the internet.

Mike Weicker: No, that’s what it is now but we are in a weird hybrid state. The current plan is to eventually have one fully online mode and one fully offline mode.

September 7, 2021

Discord_User: Just wanted to confirm there is no way to actually play offline yet correct?

Mike Weicker: Once you are logged in, you can unplug your Internet and it will continue to work. However we don’t have a 100% offline mode available yet.

September 24, 2021

Just wondering would it be possible to add an offline mode? To pass time when your internet is down or if you’re someone that lives in Germany/other slow internet countries.

Dev Q&A Stream Video Clip 1 (Twitch Link)

So there will be no true offline mode after release?

Dev Q&A Stream Video Clip 2 (Twitch Link)

6 Likes

Wow. Thanks Andrew. I always had the concerns with a true offline mode and thought it incompatible with the GaaS model they are pursuing for the longer term. But they had always been quite firm that true offline is something they wanted to deliver while noting my primary concern of piracy.

I guess as their MP and server plans shape up, they are getting clearer about what is possible and what is not.

Yes it was

Thanks man for such a detailed comment funny thing about it is that a week ago offline was still on.

1 Like

Thanks for this summary of the seesaw like issue…

Personally I sincerely hope that they allow a true offline mode in some form… Even cached credentials that get you to login every few “insert timeperiod here” would be appreciated. I would have zero problem with disabled in-game cosmetics or characters disqualified from leaderboards if there was no active connection… the main thing is just to be able to play whenever I want to.

I live in a country where services like telecoms/power/water etc are generally available, but can be interrupted at short notice (or without notice) and could potentially be out for days at a time… and when this happens, anything online is obviously a no-go and backup internet connections can cost excessive amounts to stay online.

4 Likes

Yes, this needs to be said clearly and without doubt by the developers.
I’ve been following LE and lurked here on forums for years now but still havent purchased the game exactly because of this uncertainty regarding offline mode. Dont get me wrong, I want to buy it (have the 100$ ready for that centurion supporter pack) but I also want to play a game I purchased without relying on unsteady internet cennection or server stability, especially because I only play single player and have no interest in multy whatsoever. Mtx are no problem for me and would gladly buy something if it catches my eye. But not being able to play something already paid for is a big no-no for me. Yes, I know its 2021, but I guess I am just old fashioned that way.
It is also a question of trust between EHG and players now more than ever - if they go back on their word on this - what is next? Ptw? Mobile? Monthly subscription? Trust is hard earned… Just look at Crate (as positive example) and Wolcen devs (as negative)
To each his own - some only want multy, some want to play the game on their own time and pace.
So until that gets perfectly clear by the devs, my money will remain mine.

2 Likes

Yea, true offline mode would be great. My home internet is down for this whole weekend and I will have no recourse to play if always-online is needed.

1 Like

Imagine if they said there will be no multiplayer now how many people would complain but they would never fo that since it is refering to 99percent of people but we that are among this 1 we mean nothing now but we have meant a lot before. That is what pises me off. Sorry for my language

1 Like

Yes, my point exactly!

Or if the game will no longer be on steam but on epic store. Imagine the outrage. Those are big things for a lot of people. And offline is comparable for me. And you. And many others.

For now I am willing to wait and see… because so far the game looks great and I really like the mechanics and skill system. But it will mean nothing if it turns out to be just another PoE clone without its own LE identity. And greed is a powerful motivator, sadly.

So until devs say clearly and without doubt - well, I dont mind waiting, especialy since 1.0 is still a long way off

1 Like

Come on now. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about it, and until high speed internet service is universally available, reliable, and affordably priced there never will be anything unreasonable about it.

It’s true that I take for granted the ease of online access that I have, but I lack the hubris required to assume that the same luxuries exist for everyone, even in my own community.

2 Likes

It has been said, but things change (which sucks).

3 Likes

Funny thing - just watched a video concerning D2R and D3 and just hear what these guys say at 7:40 - 9:52 regarding offline/online question.

I think those 2min are a good summary of our discussion here on this topic

EDIT - Ii any dev from EHG reads this topic - I urge you to watch abovementioned 2min of a linked video - it pretty much sums up a lot of discussion here

1 Like

No. Internet of high enough speed and quality to support online gaming has been ubiquitous enough for long enough that it has stopped being reasonable to complain about a game requiring you to be online to play it. Gaming itself is far more of a luxury than internet access is anyway.

OP’s problem isn’t even any of what you said anyway - It’s that he spends half the year on a friggin’ boat.

1 Like

Setting and communicating a goal is not making a promise.

Complaints that the entire design of the game was suddenly changed to be a completely different game may be reasonable.

Your complaints are definitively not.

1 Like

Thank u for your clarification vise one that has all of the answers. What if they remove multiplayer then how about that, i would just like to see what kind of comments and treads and in what way u would be participating, just for fun while i am onboard and have nothing smarter to do