Offline mode

It has been said, but things change (which sucks).

3 Likes

Funny thing - just watched a video concerning D2R and D3 and just hear what these guys say at 7:40 - 9:52 regarding offline/online question.

I think those 2min are a good summary of our discussion here on this topic

EDIT - Ii any dev from EHG reads this topic - I urge you to watch abovementioned 2min of a linked video - it pretty much sums up a lot of discussion here

1 Like

No. Internet of high enough speed and quality to support online gaming has been ubiquitous enough for long enough that it has stopped being reasonable to complain about a game requiring you to be online to play it. Gaming itself is far more of a luxury than internet access is anyway.

OP’s problem isn’t even any of what you said anyway - It’s that he spends half the year on a friggin’ boat.

1 Like

Setting and communicating a goal is not making a promise.

Complaints that the entire design of the game was suddenly changed to be a completely different game may be reasonable.

Your complaints are definitively not.

1 Like

Thank u for your clarification vise one that has all of the answers. What if they remove multiplayer then how about that, i would just like to see what kind of comments and treads and in what way u would be participating, just for fun while i am onboard and have nothing smarter to do

And what is exactly the difference if i spend on boat half year and therefore i do not have good internet or if i live in Nigeria and i dont have it. People like u care only for themselves, as long as everything is ok to u u do not care if something can be done to help others, but if others is u u are carring imidietly not for them but for yourself again.

2 Likes

I live in a third world country and making a blanket statement like that is factually incorrect. Reliable, Fast and Cost appropriate Internet access is defintiely not ubiquitous… The requirement for games or any other service to require an always online service of sufficient technical quality (jitter, ping, lag, async speeds, packet loss ets) makes it really hard to make a purchase without understanding that you might not be able to play the game when you want to.

While I personally have the luxury of a fibre internet, it comes at a cost premium that very few of my countrymen/woman/they can afford and I make sacrifices to be able to enjoy a decent always on connection… and just saying that we should stop whining about always on internet is insulting.

6 Likes

I dont think for him online or offline would matter couse no one sane would play with him, he is so selfish he would pick up all of the health orbs just for other not to be able to take them lol. Joke aside, yep nicely said there are plenty of people without constant internet connection and u very well understands how it feels unlike some people with very low emotional intelligence, thats is another reason im pissed for this decission couse if this becomes real i will not play it and that makes me sad couse its great game exactly what i was looking for.

Yeah. There’s a huge difference between people that live in the first world with high quality internet, but refuse to use “always on” software (the reasons are mostly some I personally don’t understand) and people that would like to use “always on” software, but cannot because of restrictions they cannot work around.

Of course this is beta. Plans change. But advertising (that is what they did with the sentence on their FAQ in the first place) and then not delivering that stuff to people that bought the product for that particular reason, needs to be addressed.

I remember the case with EHG dropping the Mac support. I don’t know where this went, I hope that Mac users got a refund for the game.

All the people that are not affected by this (I’m back on the “always on” topic), should not try to play it down. It looks very selfish to read sentences like “you are just a minority, so who cares”.

On top it’s not only a topic for the people with bad internet. Just imagine LE might not be that successful in the future. Servers have to shut down, services are cancelled. If EHG then is not so nice (or can’t afford the resources to do so anymore) and patches the always on out of the game, everybody loses access to the game.

There are a lot of examples where games closed down and weren’t playable anymore. Image you invested money into MTX and stuff and then you aren’t allowed to play offline because the login servers shut down. This is btw. one if the main arguments against always on and for a pure offline mode. In any game!

3 Likes

I agree with you. I am also on the online only camp. But I sympathise with people who feel “cheated” out of a pure offline mode. But then again, I dont think it is so straightforward. People quit games for all kinds of reason. I dont think it is fair for such changes and then for them to claim a refund by saying “oh I bought LE because of Mac support/pure offline mode, so now that is scrapped I should be refunded.” It’s just a slippery slope.

Actually, with MTX purchases, you really want a secure online only environment. Piracy is one big reason why pure offline doesnt work - with pure offline you must provide all 3D assets in people’s computer for the game to load those assets. There is no way you can prevent people from hacking access into those assets and not pay a single cent for mtx in a pure offline environment.

There is no need to be insulting.

This all got covered in the FAQ section Andrew quoted:

This can be used to activate MTX, too. As long as there’s an active service you can use the "single time confirmation " stuff to activate your MTX.

But when services shut down, there’s no need to “protect” content anymore.

I have several games in my steam library that shut down and I can’t play anymore. They don’t start because the authentication servers aren’t there. I payed for these games, box price and sometimes MTX. It’s not my fault, the devs went bankrupt. And I’m not speaking about MMOs. I’m talking about single player games.

It’s like saying “Bosch went bankrupt, so all tools are now locked and don’t work anymore”.

1 Like

This is actually not a real solution and does nothing imo. For the people who needs true offline (e.g. being in remote places or stable internet is not common), this does nothing for them. For securing mtxes, this is also useless, because after the authentication process, you’re still free to do/hack anything you want.

Yes. Full online the game dies with the company. But I think there is no two ways around it for games employing a GaaS model.

But you’d have to provide all of the assets to every player anyway regardless of whether they bought the mtx or not, how else would they see other players’ mtx?

I’ve had a conversation with Sarno over this before. I think long story short is that, this is tricky, but in an online environment there are ways to autheticate and/or stream temporary assets, etc… options which are non-starter for a fully offline game.

1 Like

Exacly man

I wouldnt care if i cant use mtx in offline mode at all even if i bought them just to support this game but i would never use it.

I cant even tell if youre being serious or just a very well thought out troll at this point.

I was joking at that coment. But for evwrything else i was serious. After reading today what i wrote i cross the line so i apologize i was angry yesterday and today im not

Edited:for the topic i am dead serious svere on my life

I agree