My GPU rockets to 99% when the game runs

I have no idea why, i have a R9 280 and have been running more demanding games i feel.

Is this something wrong on my end or the games end? Can i fix it somehow without having to change hardware

Hey. Welcome to the forum…

Aside from the usual things of making sure your hardware is still ok, not overheating and drivers/patches etc are up to date and you are running every graphic setting in the game on its absolute lowest (including screen res), there are a few things I can comment on here.

1. LE is still being optimised - each patch solves/improves general performance of the game but there are certain repeatable instances in game where even high end systems can experience large FPS drops.

2. For a graphics card to max out to 99% usually means you are running it at settings its not really capable of dealing with. Try reducing settings or resolution.

3. Unfortunately, your graphics card is pretty old and will definitely show its age. I looked at userbenchmark.com and its on average a third slower than cards like a 1060s which are already 5 years old themselves. I am using a 1060 @ 1080p and I get average 75 fps dropping down to about 20-30 fps in taxing moments so I guess you are barely able to get 50fps dropping down to single digits at times… I dont even think that the R9 280 cards even support the latest DirectX and honestly I am personally surprised it even runs. :crazy_face:

The game also needs a decent CPU (again optimisation coming) so it could also be affecting things on your system - especially if your CPU is as old as your graphics card.

A steam user did have some settings for my card that did help, but yeah maybe I should lower the settings alot more than I did

Only just recently checked my performance while running the game - Never thought to because I have high fps and rarely get any drops - I noticed the game is using 99% of my gpu and was using around 7Gb of video memory on medium settings (master quality setting). I set it to the absolute lowest and the memory dropped down to only 5Gb usage but gpu usage was still 99%. My card temp also idles in the 40’s© but jumps to 80’s when it’s running.

Saphire Radeon Rx580 (8gb)
16gb ddr4 memory
I5-9600k cpu

Edit:
I turned down the resolution
I switched from TAA to FXAA (on top of all the other settings at their lowest)
I limited my FPS to 60

And this lowered my GPU memory usage to 3gb and the GPU utilization to 60-70%

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Please try to create your own thread when looking for assistance as it’s a bit unfair on the original author if people try to get an existing thread to focus on them instead. If you’d like help with this kind of issue, please provide both your system info and a graphics .ini file.

Moving thread from Launcher Technical Support to Technical Support.

I had the same issue and lowering the settings to lowest didn’t help. [Specs: Ryzen 5600/gtx1060(6gb)/32GB]
But what helped was Kazeins comment: Limiting the Framerate. I had 100+FPS. After limiting it to 60FPS, my GPU Usage dropped to like 40%.

If this occurs regularly, it should maybe be added to the known issues, so people can find it easier.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.