More love for 2handed

just want to add/point out that on relics you can get 20-55% chance to crit.
you can also get 20-55% chance to crit PER dagger equipped. this is the best example of dual weilding outperforming 2handers AND 1 handers (if they equip 2 daggers)

There are a lot of benefits weapontypes get since Rogue was introduced. If we see a similar change for twohanded weapons things might be better.

It’s worse than that even, as daggers get the implicit +crit chance (not even limited to melee like polearms if that matters). They get that implicit on top of other implicits like poison on hit.

Yeah the implicits on 2handed weapons are weak as we all know by now and as stated above 2handed weapons might see changes to the base items like other items did. So far everything screams “waaaaiiiiit for it…!” right now.
On top of it i think we should’ve dedicaded options for 2handed builds in the skilltrees like “if you use a sword you get 30% attackspeed” with a bottom line “you get an extra 20% attackspeed if you use a twohanded weapon” or “trippled if you use an axe” and “quadrupled if you use a twohanded axe”… Something along these lines.

I would still be happy if dw toons take 20% more dmg and only have 50% dodge effectiveness but this might only make me giggle.

1 Like

I want dual wielding to be the middle ground between defense and damage.
Sword and board should be most defensive
dual wield should be middle (better damage than sword and board but worse defense)
2h should be highest damage but lowest defense.

Add parry into the game and have it function like block. Only works against melee hits though.
dual wield builds should be highly mobile and evasive.
Instead of the dual wield nodes increasing the damage you take, maybe it should decrease the damage you deal.

Won’t happen because the devs want dw to be the most offensive thing ingame.

I know, but it completely defeats the purpose of 2h weapons.

At the end of the day you can’t tell what weapon should be more offensive by style. A dagger to the heart is equaly deadly as a 2handed hammer swing to the head.

What is the alternative?

DW is the offensive style currently, but what if they make the stats on 2h so that they do more damage? Where would that put DW then?

There needs to be meaningful categorization to the arms people can choose from so that players have a sense for what they are gearing toward.

I guess they could make 2h weapons the middle ground by giving them defensive implicits. That seems odd though.

Which is why I asked (back in the day in this thread) for 2-handed weapons to be given some different implicits to make them stand out from the crowd.

I guess there was a bit of confusion. There was really no point of reference for what you meant by “different”. I don’t really want a big 2h Axe to just be a pumped up 1h Axe. I could see the implicits of 2h weapons taking a different direction completely. That would at least make people consider them for niche builds.

It won’t really work if their implicits are just the same as 1h weapons but bigger numbers.

That’s because I didn’t have any specific plan, I just wanted some “different” implicits that weren’t used elsewhere that players might find desirable.

Maybe there is another realy easy solution for this… What if we give skills a “hidden” tag “If used with a 2 handed weapon crit damage is increased by 75%”. I know it’s braindead but simple isn’t always that bad. Dw will still be faster and offers more base and stuff while 2handed weapons are slower but if they crit… oh boy big numbers ^^.
The downside is non crit builds wont benefit from it so every non critting ability needs something else like free DoT damage, reduced mana cost for skill usage something arround these lines.
Hmmm while I write it… flat manacost reduction on twohanded weapons might be fun. Maybe even a skilltag “25% more dmg with 2handed weapons” might do the trick… I think there are a loooot of options and I’m eager to see what the devs come up with.

I think a solution needs to be multi-faceted. Not only do 2h weapons themselves need reworked a bit, but there should be better nodes on passive trees for specific 2h weapon types. Base Primalist has a node that gives some love to some 2h weapons, but it seems really weak. We need something more like the Blademasters ‘Weapons of Choice’ for 2h weapons.

Forge Guard seems like the Sentinels 2h class. Those 3 nodes in there don’t seem all that great. Maybe the block stuff can be moved to Paladin and the Forge Guard can get more things focusing on 2h weapons and animated weapons/armors.

If I had to choose, it would be:
2h Polearm - Stay the same with base crit chance
2h Swords - High crit multi and shred.
2h Axes - Increased bleed duration and physical penetration
2h Blunt - Slows on hit. Stun it thematic but stun chance is AWFUL mechanically. Maybe a new non-damaging ailment that progressively slows (mob gets slower for each stack), until X stacks that causes a guaranteed 2-second stun, which resets stacks.

Why not get rid of crit chance on all of them, and give each type crit multi, and an additional effect as you suggested? Using existing effects, I made this up:
2h Polearm - physical res shred or frailty, due to weapon range, which is not modeled otherwise (this should cover both spears and halberds)
2h Swords - attack speed or increased base damage, due to the weapon’s weight distribution
2h Axes - bleed chance, due to being cutting edge :wink:
2h Blunt - chill chance, due to the reasons you already gave. Of course, I would also prefer stun chance, with a max stun length and a min no-stun period in between on bosses. If chill, this variant should not count as a cold effect.

This would make the 2h sword the “bread and butter” choice :slight_smile: , and match the current flat-damage-no-frills design. My other suggestions point towards a safer playstyle, a reliable secondary damage source or a wear-it-down mentality with increasing returns.
I like the existing variety, and would like to make situational decisions about which to use, without one being always best.

Because crit sucks bad if not for those weapons. Crit multi affixes don’t add that much and every % point below 100 you are on crit chance reduces the crit multi effectiveness by that much (because you aren’t critting). Without those weapons that add base crit, I’m not sure it is even possible to get to 100% crit chance.

Welryn Axes with melee crit chance say hi.

Did you miss the part where he said get rid of base crit chance on all weapons?

Apparently so! :slight_smile: Despite you quoting it…

1 Like

Well, if you want to get more impact with 2handers, and they offer an easy way by crit multi, why should you also have a crit chance of 100%, seriously?
It will make you strive for crit chance, instead of other pursuing other ways to do more damage.
If you want to whittle something down pixel by pixel, have a go with 2 breadknives.

No path to glory should be better than any other, but they all should feel distinct in gameplay. That is what I wanted to suggest.