More love for 2handed

Yeah, there needs to be a different set of implicits that do different things to make 2h interesting. We already have stun on blunts but nobody takes those because its “impossible” to stun the things you want (bosses and chunky mobs), but what if you could get glancing blow, knockback (which melee generally hates with the exception of Warpath), chance for a skill to not consume mana or something?

First of all from my point of view at least we need mixed bases on all items. We need viable crit options, we need different dmg types and ailment bonuses. Why shouldn’t be there a spiked club that has a bleed chance? A frost themed spear that gives a chillchance? A doubble bladed staff with more melee benefits and little less adaptive spell damage? Why is there no Void centered twohanded axe?

That’s just some fast fired ideas without a lot of thought on it. There are a good amount of options already in the game. Then again CA, GB and stuff like this might be a viable option but this might be very hard to balance.

On top of all this I ask myself from Time to time why there aren’t any weapons catered to spellblades for example? Just like Wands and Scepters with a twist like a flaming sword that has a chance to ignite and stuff like that. There are plenty of options :).

Why no simple two handed buff?
While wearing a two handed meele weapon you are immun to critical strikes.

That was give 2h a real boost in solving a problem for free everyone else has to solve by investment.

I would find that change boring and it doesn’t make sense fantasy wise why this mechanic would exist for specifically 2 hander.

I rather 2 hander just had more interesting affixes and/or implicit which could really reinforce their place as a melee weapon for a build.

Of course it is boring. It is just a lazy instant fix.
Regarding class fantasy it is a terrible idea i agree.

A more matching fantasy would be some degree of armor ignore or shred… a 1,50 m long 30kg heavy two handed maul maybe wont care for your armor very much or shred it in pieces.

Ignores 50% of monsters armor or shreds 50% (5% vs bosses) of a monsters remaining armor permanently.

Mobs don’t have armour by default. A shred implicit might be interesting though, especially if it were an “adaptive shred” (shred that takes the element of the skill that you’re using).

if we’re going for 2handed flavour heres some ideas i have

attacks send shockwaves of damage outward

additional kill enemy at X% health but stacks with other sources, this emphasizes the huge ass hits.

do double damage (cooldown 2 seconds)

If it stacked with other sources then you’d have to give it such a small value on the weapon implicit that it wouldn’t be worth it. Just imagine DW until you come to the monolith quest echo boss then bringing out the 2h weapon with 20% cull to go with the ~20% cull you have on your main skill & you only have to get the boss down to 40%…

If we wanted to just flip this whole thing on it’s head and make 2handers really stand out, they could have faster attack speed than 1 hands (more true to real life) while sword and board would be balanced defense/offense combo and dual wield could combine stat sticks for great damage while having slower individual attacks and taking more damage.

No way it’ll happen since it goes against most RPG conventions, but it could be cool if the devs wanted to overhaul the whole system just cuz.

Inertia is not the same as speed. Heavier weapons would take more effort to accelerate (both for an attack & to reorient the weapon to block/etc an attack) than a smaller lighter 1-handed.

If I had to choose, it would be;

2h Polearm - Stay the same with base crit chance
2h Swords - High crit multi and shred.
2h Axes - Increased bleed duration and physical penetration
2h Blunt - Slows on hit. Stun it thematic but stun chance is AWFUL mechanically. Maybe a new non-damaging ailment that progressively slows (mob gets slower for each stack), until X stacks that causes a guaranteed 2-second stun, which resets stacks.
2h Staves - These seem fine with high adaptive spell damage.

You have the benefit of both hands and most 2handed weapons aren’t much heavier than one handed ones anyway. Sure, a dagger would be quicker to move around than a 2 handed sword, but a 1 handed sword and a two handed sword wouldn’t be much different if we’re thinking of your typically medieval European weaponry most RPGs tend to emulate.

Yeah, to be fair, a 1h sword would be 1-1.5kg & a 2h weapon would be around double that.

realistically the biggest benefit of dual wielding is parrying and diverting an attack with one weapon while striking with the other. It should be more about defense and counterattacking.

If parry were a thing, and mobs could do it in this game, that would be a good benefit for 2h blunt weapons. They are MUCH harder to parry.

There are histically 2 handers which had parry elements to them, Zweihander. Would be cool if there was an implicit that just procs a dodge after 3 seconds as “parry” mechanic.

Most 2 handed western swords had crossguards but thats it. LE ignores parry completely so this is of the table. On top of it Weapon range has no effect as well so another obvious advantage of 2handed weapons is of the table.
I think we’ll see intresting stuff in the future but so far I don’t think the devs will come up with another mechanic like parry ^^.

lol that would be huge, but probably we could have a hard cap at 25-30%? its funny how culling effects currently work better with 1H/DW. puny damage but fast hitting. boss down to 12%, 1 jab and its deleted.

some skills “not meant” for 2handers dont benefit from 2handed range effects. HARVEST I M LOOKING AT YOU.

really hope the devs would look into making melee skills that attack gain benefit from weapon range.

2h weapons (in-game) don’t have increased range, they just have larger models, no skills use the size of the weapon for anything.

That’s why I said it’s an ignored stat that might benefit 2handers for larger AoE and stuff. It’s not implemented at all though.

1 Like