Monster xp rates unbalanced

Monster xp rates appear to be a flat amount. I was getting just around 1000 xp per kill at 67 in a mono, this is the same amount for a siege golem with 5X the hp and dmg of the boss, or the trash mod spiders with almost zero hp.
side note the osprix boss gave around 4500 xp.

Xp should probably be adjusted for higher hp and higher damage mobs.

When running a mono and it has huge mobs of those low life low danger trash, ill clear the entire thing for alot of xp. but if it only spawns lone higher hp mobs ill end is ASAP. sometimes even running past mobs to the boss just to get to another level as its not worth the time to kill some of these monsters for low loot, low xp,.

there could be adjusted rates for mobs based on threat level, hp and additional mobs.
for instance a siege golem with extra hp could be double or triple the xp of a regular one, yet still being 10-20X the xp of a basic trash mob that dies instantly from 1 hit or just running past n many builds.

9 Likes

I never checked this, where did you get the numbers?

From your xp bar most likely. Kill a mob, see how much xp you get…

i agree 100%

I agree, killing higher hp mosters or mobs is not worth it. Either change the xp for killing them or tuning down their hp. It kinda feels weird to fight against a single white big monster for so long. It makes sense they have more hp than smaller monsters, but i think they have too much. I would understand the high hp if it’s a rare(yellow) monster, because they should be a challenge

2 Likes

I didn’t notice until watching % of the bar completed per run . It was feeling oddly slow after several mono with the big threat monsters ( which almost always have terrible density), those granted minimal xp.
where as a map with high density trash spiders and those exploding slugs had given over 50% pf the xp bar in a few minutes.

hence why skipping those high hp, high threat mobs, as they provide no reward for risk or the time.

even the boss monsters who spawn as mobs arent even worth killing if they only grant 2-3x the xp of regular white monsters with no real loot. ( noteably the flaming convention boss, which spawns in groups of 2-5 in mono)

3 Likes

I agree!

2 Likes
  • 1 to this, people already skipping rares and bosses in mono cause of time wasted and the xp doesnt worth the time.
1 Like

That’s not correct. I have to admit that until now I thought rares and elites grand more xp than whites. :upside_down_face: This was an obvious fact for me that I did not question.

I am surprised that it isn’t.

based on this guy feedback, i think, some of rare have too much hp, ofc they give more, just some of the rares takes too much time xD, maybe some news enemies from act 8, the siege golem, beetle, the crab or… i dont remember the name, the other sea one, i will edit if i remember the name.

If you open the character window “C” in the top section below the class emblem is “Experience #####” this number goes up when you gain xp. I imagine this is where OP was getting the exact numbers.

Do the higher threat monsters such as rares have better loot drop chances though?

If so, it may be worth killing them since many people do Monoliths for loot (arena for xp).

I didn’t experience that but i also can’t really confirm. I have a feeling that i read somewhere in a different topic about this and someone mentioned that they do not drop better loot. But even though if the loot drop chances might be a bit better, it’s still not fun to fight against big hp white mobs for hours :frowning:

Rare enemies (and most larger enemies that are not rares) do grant substantially more xp and loot. Nevertheless the difference is probably too small at the moment, so we’re increasing the item drop rate from rare enemies in 0.7.8e, and will likely make more changes in this direction in future.

6 Likes

On a similar topic what about boss monsters which appear regularly in some maps like wengari patriarchs, raid leaders and frost wyrm

These monsters can appear as map bosses but sometimes also appear as normal mobs in maps.
Will they be changed too

Humm, seems really good, thank you for the answer, good direction, could possible increase the xp rates for rares and some bosses too (or at least the high hp ones)? loot drops seems sweet, you guys are doing a great job.

1 Like

Thx for clarifying this and also for the changes that will happen already in the next patch!

1 Like

How much more xp/items do they give at the moment, compared to their increased hp/damage? If they’re giving 50% more xp & have 50% more hp, that’s probably reasonable (since it’ll take less than 50% more time/hits to kill them).

It may be worth looking into a multiplicative base xp per monster.
IE base xp of 100, then multiplied by the hp roll, and prot roll.
so a mob that has base xp of 100, but rolls double prot and triple hp on a triple hp style monster has 10-12x the xp even though it should take 18x more damage.

it might be slower to implement but could add some reason to even bother with the huge xp mobs, or adjust them so they are never a higher hp, dmg, and threat level than bosses. ie sieve golems ALWAYS are more dangerous than pretty much every map boss. Elder, effigy are about the danger of a weak blue pack and have equivelant health ( note they should also be adjusted )

1 Like