Meruna Sirens

Are so incredibly obnoxiously annoying.
They’re not difficult or hard to kill. Just unreasonably annoying.
Do they really need to constantly leap 2 screens away?

They don’t do that constantly, it has a pretty significant cooldown (like 8-10 seconds?)
So if you follow them after they jump away, ther won’t do that again.
But if you don’t follow them instantly and wait too long and after 5-6 secodns decide to go after them when dealing with other mobs before, they will immediately jump away again.

I would call this pretty good mob design.

Since it changes how you appraoch certain packs.

Depending on the other mobs that are still present you might want to focus the Sirens or deal with the other mobs first.

And stuff like this is way more meaningful that mobs running brainlessly towards you to get slaughtered.

3 Likes

No, it does not change anything.
All it does is force you to walk 2 screens back. That’s it. Regardless of killing the Meruna first or another pack first, the result is the same.
That is not good mob design. It is not meaningful. It’s just a waste of time that breaks the flow of moving through the map.

Seems like we disagree on this then.

On higher difficulty, it is very meaningful.

When you run into a pack of melee mobs while one or more sirens cast their waves from a distant at you, it’s is worth a consideration to kill the melee mobs first or go for the Sirens, but since they will jump away, you ened to “chase them” quiet a bit until you really can figh them.

While you doing this, the melee mobs of the packs still threaten you.

So for me it is very good design, because it makes you think about prioritize certains mobs over other, depending on your build.

For me this is adding some flavour to the combat.

Best for the flow would be that all enemies on the screen would group up in a small area and wait for the player to kill them. This would be a bit boring for me.

All enemies follow a scripted pattern of abilities. After some time you are used to and know exactly to only charge at the Sirens directly after they leaped away.

What?
No, there is no consideration. You either ignore the Siren free casting on you while you fight melee mobs or you chase the Siren and the melee mobs follow you anyway. As I already said, the end result is the same. Literally nothing changes. They all get grouped up and cleaved down. All the Siren does is force you to chase it two screens away along with all the other mobs following you. It’s bad design that breaks mapping flow. Period.

Very bad way to end a discussion.

You said it yourself… either. There are 2 options.

If the Sirens would NOT Jump away, you would have no options, because you would always pull all mobs on top of it and cleave them all down.

That’s also and exaggeration, because it’s not 2 screens.

I can’t tell if you’re unable to comprehend what I’ve said or if you’re just blatantly ignoring it. Let me remind you:

In other words, there is no choice because the end result is the same. Picking one or the other does not change the outcome. The danger from the mobs does not change. I can’t figure out why you’re struggling to understand this.

No it is not.

Yes, when you decide to follow the siren, all other mobs attacking you will follow you.
But depending on your build that’s not always what you want to do.

On some builds you might kill the siren first and one some other builds you might deal with all the melee mobs first.

You need to evaluate what is the best tactic.

I say it again:

I don’t know what you want mobs to do, but it seems like you would want all mobs to simply stand still so the player has the most easy time to kill them.

I agree that the Sirens are a bit “annoying”, but in a good way, because it makes combat mor interesting.

:man_facepalming:t2:
If you follow. The Siren. All the mobs. Follow. And attack you.
If you ignore. The Siren. All the mobs. Still. Attack you. Anyway.
The incoming damage is all the same regardless. The danger does not change. Your build does not matter in this context. The only difference is if you chase the Siren then you’re interrupting map flow. That’s it. Deciding whether to kill the Siren or the melee mob pack first has nothing to do with the Siren being disruptively annoying from a map flow sense.

No it is not, since chasing the siren will take way longer than fighting the melee mobs first.
(But then the siren will cast waves on you from the distance)

Since the siren will jump away, if you chase her, the melee mobs will live considerbly longer if you don’t kill them.

Also your facepalm emote is not helpful, if we try to give our different opinions about a given subject.

Your statement or opinion is not FACT and there are other views on a given subject.

If you ignore Siren then the melee mobs attack you and Siren casts on you.
If you follow Siren then the melee mobs still attack you and the Siren casts on you.
You’re going to want to herd them up and cleave them all down anyway. There is no decision or meaningful choice. The end result is all the same.
The only thing that changes is the time spent mapping because you have to chase a bunch of Sirens leaping around.

And in what world is the split second that it takes to press a movement ability considered “way longer”?

I love them. Their behavior is annoying which makes me want to kill them that much more. That’s good mob design, IMO.

2 Likes

Have a good day sir, i am outta here, this will lead to no meaningful discussion.

Let some other people come in and give their opinion, befire this discussion get’s stagnated.

In such games there can and should be much more such funny and somehow memorable monster behaviors.
→ In Diablo 2, for example, I liked the goblins and the goblin shamans among the best.

Please more such funny because often annoying guys. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.