Melee

It would be one thing if the campaign was actually fun to play through. secondly I’ve already played through it like 3-4 times. I have no problem playing the game. The game is enjoyable. Talking to NPC’s I’ve already talked to for the 100th time back tracking quests to unlock idols / passive points. It’s not fun in POE, its not fun in this no exceptions.

Thankfully the devs have added some skips, but you still have to backtrack to get your quests and you don’t have the waypoints to get to said quests.

If there is a method to do so its Not clear at all.

And the idea that I have to go through the entire game to check 1 skill which is potentially the make-break point of my character choice, Is beyond antiquated. Especially when so many skills are bugged / have incorrect variables. Hey I want to see how avalanch works. oh it drops these boulders around oh It can follow me now, oh but (Hypothetical) The cast time is a bit long, I don’t think ill play this build. Wow I just wasted 5+ hours talking to NPC’s when I could have been practicing max combos on KOF15 .

Why do you keep referring to “restarting the campaign to try 1 skill” ???

If that skill is available to your sub-class you can just respec. Are you talking about starting a new character to try a skill? Or are you talking about restarting campaign to try a different subclass?

I think you two should feel free to comment in the many “campaign alternative?” threads, seeing as this one is call, “Melee”.

But I can’t resist this opportunity to be a hypocrite :grin: and say that I much prefer D3/D4’s Adventure mode to forcing people through the campaign for every character playthrough.

So much so that I wish EHG had been so bold to go full on old school D&D and have your character get quasi-random chained-together quests in each time period. Do enough of these adventures in a particular time period and you get the adventure that takes you to the new time period. Basically no campaign at all, the game is adventure mode.

Seems like it would make it much easier to add more quest-content over time, as none of them would have to link to anything else. Maybe someone else will have this idea. Seems easier than creating a total campaign, and more dynamic as well.

1 Like

There are skills locked to sub classes, Avalanche is locked behind shaman.

No it’s not. The only one that is locked is Storm Totem. You can definitely get Avalanche as a Beastmaster or Druid.

what game are you playing

1 Like

You do realize that you can still put points into the other mastery passive trees, right? And that those skills unlock with enough points?

Avalanche is beyond the chain, therefore out of reach of all but Shaman.

wrong

1 Like

My bad, I was thinking about earthquake. Carry on.

guys, let those skills alone and tell me why those “breath” attacks can not be blocked with shield. the are those mobs who eith blow fire on you or cold blow. are this bliws considered damage over time so can not be blocked?

I assume its some form of damage over time.
I can say that the things giving me the most trouble as melee were / are dots, projectile groups who aim from offscreen and things that are poorly telegraphed.
There is also the issue of smaller enemies having HUGE effects even though their damage is actually miniscule. So you spend time trying to avoid something that doesn’t even budge your hp at all. On the flip side there are archers that can absolutely F you up if you’re not paying attention and their arrows are basically invisible.

But why those breath attacks are DOT?? that mobs(e.g. Tundra Stalker) come to you and blow Cold/Fire… damage from their mouths to you, applying the damage IMMEDIATELLY and instant, not Over Time. Over Time means you get e.g. posoined and you life slowly goes down OVER TIME, not instantly.

It’s probably bugged with how often it hits per second, or perhaps the damage values it has are being multiplied incorrectly by enemy scalers.

But DOT does not only refer to things like poison stacks but also things like Poison pools.

Think of the Rougue’s acid flask

yes, figured out that they do 4 attacks per second, FOUR, at this EHG consider that is Over Time :))) devs, Over Time in aRPGs refer to Over SEVERAL seconds, not over 250ms.
those mobs comes in groups of 4-6 in Arena Waves 150-200, that measn game over for melee…

I am under the impression that DoTs are used (abused in my opinion) to apply damage to your char which completely bypasses all your defenses but health and ward.
Kind of tests of your effective health pool.

I am not enjoying this design. As a sentinal it seems I am more less required to have gear with certain implicits to mitigate this kind of damage as the related affixes are only avaialbe as implicit. So now uniques for these inventory slots.

1 Like

the problem is even you want against DoT can not really build good defense.

To add to the list of things that screw over melee builds specifically:
1 Breath attacks, there are not only Tundra stalkers, but also frost bats that deal batshit insane damage, and also don’t have any windup before they start attacking.
2 Orbital snowball barrage (two versions from Rime giant and Wengari patriarch) - it just goes and goes for a very long time in roughly the same spot, preventing a melee character from approaching the monster/boss.
3 Poison puddles on the ground left by some rogue mobs.
4 These plants on legs that do a channeled slam ground near them, forcing you to run away and wait for this ability to stop.

Now, 1st item on the list can be balanced by making a long enough windup on these abilities for a melee character to get behind a mob.
Second one could be replaced by casting the same orbital barrage, but in random spots in a very large area, so that both melee and ranged characters could get equally screwed by this attack.
Third one - no idea, but that’s the easiest to deal with, you just run away and lure the enemies from the poison puddle/cloud.
The final one - make it do damage in a circle in front of a mob, not centered on it, so you can run behind it to prevent getting damaged.

2 Likes

All great suggestions, but just wanted to comment on this part to say that bitterwings are a bunch of little shits.

1 Like

The thing that annoys me the most about this is the fact that it lasts FOREVER, and is not cancelled if the caster is killed.