Major Issue: We are limited to 20 online chars. W T H

I can understand your side and the approach that you currently want to have more slots for your online creations and also pay real money for it. But you also have to understand it from the developers’ side, because they currently have more important things on their to-do list than a slot expansion. And until the serious skill bugs and performance issues in online mode are removed or improved, I don’t see any reason to personally play online mode and or spend money on something I’ll probably never use, since I’ll probably never use all the slots. Should it still be the case, then you can always buy it optionally (Supporter Pack and or something) in the Future.
But until then you should get along with the 20 slots and just wait and see what the team of EHG has planned for the future. Because with the release of 1.0 it will be with LE certainly not end with the development.

This isn’t quite true either. They haven’t promised it. They said as of now there will be no wipe UNLESS some situation arises that necessitates it. They aren’t foreseeing this happening but it is always a possibility, even if unlikely.

Exactly, they have promised no wipes unless the shit well and truly hits the fan and they have no other choice…

Well… I also didn’t know and think this sucks. For me 20 are not enough as well. I have around 160 chars in Grim Dawn, around 150 of them quite well into the endgame. Maybe 20 of those are chars are for test purposes and I could stomach deleting them.

The char slot limit for PoE combined with seasons is one of the reasons I dislike the game. Or should I say one of the reasons that I’m not playing that game more? I like the game itself but much of the stuff around the content makes me look for alternatives. Not only the char slot stuff bbut it adds up to be more than annoying.

I just hope that this wont’t be the case for LE.

2 Likes

Please do not forget this, Grim Dawn is a only Singleplayer Game, but there have an Coop-Modus, but only for 4 Players and an OLD P2P (Point to Point) Connection.
And here have an Multiplayer worldwide, There must be certain limitations on server space, game space and many other things, so that all players can create the same number of characters. And if you want to have more places (let’s say 50 places), it may cost the developer more servers to outsource the characters and this is again associated with very high costs. And that means if 50K are online at the same time and all 50 slots are occupied, that can lead to server limitations on a single server. And that’s why certain limitations come into question, so that the servers don’t have to struggle even more than they currently do.

The current online limit is 20. This is not a design decision. We set this value for 0.9 as a starting point. The way it is set up, I think it is very feasible to increase the limit. I’m not sure if that will change or not. If we can increase the limit without causing unsolvable problems, it will likely be increased.

8 Likes

Thanks Mike!

And there ya have it. There was no malicious intent, you should know by now that EHG cares about feedback. Just hope you learned a lesson from this, perhaps next time you will present yourself in a way indicative of your age,

Bro if you whined about 20 then you will whine about 24, you arent fooling any of us. PoE was a perfectly valid thing to post.

2 Likes

Not when we both know for a fact the limit can be extended. If I knew that of LE there would be no issue.

Yeah of course I get that. Servers are hard and expensive and I’m not saying that these additional slots should be free. If the game is good enough I gladly pay for addtional slots.

In PoE I’m not doing that cause there is other annoying stuff. It’s way too early for me to judge if LE is going down the same route but so far I really like what they’ve done with the game and mp.

Jess, the amount of white knighting in Last epoch is approaching PoE level…
He asked a valid point.

Some people acted like the white knights in PoE forum & over defensive.

1 Like

How much does a few hundred kb of space cost?

In the normal case, standard SSD hard drives with a read speed and write speed of about 560 would not be sufficient for this amount of data requested every second.

But since a huge amount of data has to be written and read, you need a good performance and we are talking about prices around 200$ for 2 TB or much higher if you want to have a server SSD M.2 with good to very good speed. But of course it varies depending on the brand.

If 20 slots are to little D4 isn’t an option with only 10 ^^.

I’m not a game dev or even an IT person, so no clue honestly.

In my job a server for a simple website with all the necessary security/backup/performance features costs around 200€ or so per month. Servers for the more complicated stuff are double to tripple that. And that will probably drastically increase with time as our user base grows.

Sure different use case but I imagine the running costs for “unlimited free char slots” to be somewhere in that ballpark. Of course this depends on how many users are actually playing the game and how much strain is placed on the systems from those slots.

And of course I’m all for free slots if possible. In my personal case the more money I need to spent on “necessary” things the less money I spent overall on a game.

Well, as said here, you have 15 classes and 20 chars max. Is not a horrible number.

Characters take server space, maybe not much, but when seasons are out, it can be a thing.

Also you could use characters as mules to store items, bypassing buying too many stash tabs when they get expensive (is mere gold anyways). not healthy.

True, if you are a Casual Player, then it’s enough to Play 1 Char with one Damage Type.

But if we assume that there are players who really want to try out everything, it will be a bit difficult with the space:

Sentinal with 3 Classes, with Dual W, 2 Handed, 1 Handed with Shild with 7 Damage Type = 21 Chars but can a bit more ^^

alone with the class without any choise, whitch skill are used, without even looking at the other classes.

If you really would exhaust that to the limit.

But then, I would not play SSF, but rather then Shared Chars, because every time the items farm again, would then be a bit too much of a good thing, if maan just want to try out other classes.

None of us are white knighting LE, op has very obvious OCD and must have 1 character for every available skill possible. For most of us, that means RESPECING from reave to warpath then moving along…not the case here. Carefully reread the initial post and absorb how infantile it is. 20 for this point in development is extremely generous, that is objective fact.

Sure, LE can have more slots, Mike already said that. The issue is with how op portrayed the issue, not the issue itself. This person is middle age + mentioned in one of their posts, maybe it is time to act like it.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. IMO, that is not true, especially when you then go on to belittle someone you disagree with. It may not be white knighting (or, you know, it might), but its definitely being a bit of a dick.

3 Likes

Man u have been rude to him this whole time the question is why?

1 Like