Lunge should be usable without a target as base functionality

Honestly, I’m glad there is some difference in how the movement skills function between classes. Sentinels don’t have to use Lunge as previously mentioned, also, does no one use Rebuke?! I typically build my Sentinels to be a little more tanky (for the thematic aspects) and just use Rebuke to survive a bunch of stuff. The Sentinel has plenty of options for the issue at hand. Let’s not homogenize all the classes please.

1 Like

Having the necessary tools to navigate boss mechanics is not homogonizing it is having the requisite design space for interesting boss mechanics, lunge (or shield charge w/o a shield) being usable to escape telegraphs on the most melee focused class seems like a no brainer from a design perspective, unless the design is that they simply ignore oneshots but then that is not being clearly communicated, and they need to point out that you will need more defense than normal thus less damage.

On the other hand, the current Lunge ensures that you and the target will be in melee range after Lunge. I guess Lunge is meant to be an offensive skill by default instead of an evasive or utility skill.
Perhaps there should be a node that removes target requirement?

I don’t think that movement skills are necessary. I’ve not yet done a boss fight where I felt like I needed one, and have done most of them without one as well. Thinking about it, on the Primalist and Sentinel I rarely ever have a “long range” movement skill or untargeted movement skill equipped. There’s plenty of other ways to move out of telegraphed attacks.

There is a unique helmet called Paranoia for this

1 Like

I always have the primalists jump skill equipped, always. It’s actually made 2 of my recent primalist (one druid one shaman) playthroughs feel awful because spriggan form just feels clunky and awful. No amount of tankiness is a substitute for simply not getting hit.
This is clear when you fight a giant undead bone dragon who slows you before a massive aoe one shot that even with 1500 life max res and a huge amount of armor I can’t survive. So the only option is run out, but I cannot make it out in time if I have any of the slow stacks on me, as my options are “run, die, or completely rework my build to use a shield, or different helmet.”

You aren’t supposed to, just get some chill chance & it’s pretty trivial, even the first one (which is the only one where he applies slow).

Or chill & then just run out even if you only have 6% movement speed in town…

Its the biggest reason why that spell annoys me.
That corpse emperor AOE thing is pretty massive and does a lot of slow.
Its just annoying to have to run in and out of it and the other classes have quick things like teleport or dash or fury leap to get out of it without needing a special item or a special build, no investment necessary except a skill slot.

Shield Rush you can’t throw it on your skills and just use it unless your using a shield, so two handed melee is out, but so much of the damage increase stuff is doubled for 2handed weapons, its worth it. So you have to skill it and put points into it to have it with a two handed melee build, or you have to use lunge.

Lunge you have to target an enemy, if there isn’t one when EOC starts his channel, your walking. If you were standing next to him cause you were fighting him melee, well now you gotta hoof it and hope you get out in time.

Either one requires you to put it in your skill bar and invest points into it for it to save you, except for running equipped with a shield, which mitigates a bunch of damage.

Every other class has an ability that they can throw on their bar and just use without needing to invest points and deselect another one without needing a specific set of items on the character.

1 Like

Thank you for actually understanding the crux of the issue that was spelled out instead of offering a bunch of solutions nobody asked for that don’t satisfy the criteria put forward.

and its LITERALLY every other class. The base model has a skill you can throw on your skill bar and use it for a dash jump or teleport.

Sentinel has two half measures that require investment or specific items.

1 Like

Pro tip for avoiding EOC’s bomb as a melee build. Get cleanse on potion use as a prefix on your belt. Even a tier 1 prefix gives 100% chance to cleanse all ailments. This costs mostly nothing since most belts get a single dmg mod for prefix and the other is pretty free.

EOC usually roars to apply 3 stacks of slow before channeling his bomb. The moment you see him roar, pot up and haul ass. Additionally, cleanse is VERY useful in high corruption against poison, armour shred and chill.

Trust me, having 4 pots to cleanse all ailments makes a night and day difference on any build.

1 Like

I use Glyph of Chaos to reroll my belts until i get the 100% chance to cleanse ailments on potion use and then I try to affix lock it to my belt. That thing is so worth it. I got it on my ranger 5 belt and use it with like a 40% chance to find potions too. Constantly dropping potions with haste on potion use is really nice.

Idt using glyphs of despair on belts is a good investment unless you rly want an extra suffix to cap out on crit avoid or more resists/ehp.

You can probably get more returns out of it by sealing helmets/armour/relics that have multiple powerful class specific prefixes.

1 Like

Yeah but potions can be used on any build, you get a really great belt with those stats it can be used pretty flexibly.

1 Like

Yup, that’s a good idea, chill also slows down the aoe channel.

The slow is only applied the first time he does his aoe.

1 Like

I absolutly agree that lunge should be usable without a target. Shield Bash is not really an option because it requieres you to have a shield equipped. and specializing a skill just to get the required mobility in the game seems not really balanced in comparism to other classes.
And yeah sentinel has some really good stuff to avoid damage, like Rebuke or Volitale Reversal
but there are plenty of reasons why they wont really work well in endgame boss fights.
But honestly, the game is designed around dodging telepgraphs and do certain mechanics in a boss fight, like PoE. So as long as you can’t facetank everything in the game you need a reliable mobility because this is actually the only way to bring proper skill play in an ARPG.

And I don’t really get all the arguments here. Of course there are alot options to mitgate damage, remove debuffs or modifiers that will help you alot against certain bosses.
But you know every class can benefit from that, not only the sentinel. So it’s not really a valid argument why the sentinel doesn’t need a decent movement skill because every other class can have these advantages. It doesn’t explain why the sentinel has to equip a shitty unique or specilize a skill to get the fundation of mobility that the game is build around.
That will only make the sentinel less attractive and more a pain in the a** to build and to play.

Melee builds are like always, way harder to play than ranged or minion builds. And ppl here are talking about using rebuke or get a unique helmet and that movement skills are not necessary in boss fights while they probably play only meta builds.
OF COURSE it’s not necessary. But it helps alot dude.

And no you don’t homogenize all classes by giving them a reliable movement skill no you actually give the players more opportunities to play different playstyle because you can rely more on your skill instead of forced tankiness or certain stats.

So imo by removing the target requirement of lunge the sentinel would be much more enjoyable and would give the players more opportunities to create different builds that relies more on skill play rather than just min maxing your tankiness.

1 Like

I would be okay with lunge needing a target if sentinel had way more damage mitigation stuff for the end game.

1 Like

The Sentinel is completely glass cannon, it’s not like they can get shields/block, generic % damage mitigation, leech, massive amounts of armour, endurance, loads of heals, life on hit, probably the best DR in the game (80% DR on Rebuke, even though it’s not my cup of tea), invulnerability while using Lunge.

2 Likes

Yet you still can get oneshot by all sorts of end game monsters full tank…

1 Like

I think thats by design on the part of the devs… they dont want people to just facetank every possible damage no matter how strong a build can be… especially boss/rare damage that is well telegraphed. Lots of thread about this particular topic and lots of input by the devs on that…