Looking at a New Skill, Surge, Coming in Patch 0.8.1

In Patch 0.8.1 we’ll be removing the Mage skill Fire Shield. In the same update, we’ll be adding a new skill called Surge to the Spellblade’s arsenal. Let’s see what Surge is all about!

NOTE: Surge is still in development, so we’ve omitted most numbers from the below tooltips.

Surge

Surge’s tooltip

The skill art for Surge

Nodes on Surge’s Specialization Tree

Coldfront

Holding down the Alt key while mousing-over Coldfront shows Tidal Wave's tooltip.

Conduit

Holding down the Alt key while mousing-over Conduit shows Static's tooltip.

Dynamics

Electropulse

Holding down the Alt key while mousing-over Electropulse shows Lightning Blast's tooltip.

Lightning Rush

Shielding Advance

Stagnant

17 Likes

Yay new skills, looks awesome.

I love invulnerability nodes on skill, this way you can show skillful plays at bosses etc.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully we will see more overhauls of old skills too soon.

its never too soon for new skills :stuck_out_tongue:. but yes i hope we do get new skills soon :slight_smile:

Weeee! Awesome!

I am in love with this both as a specific skill and as a very important sign for class toolkits in general: We now have a class with multiple different combat-oriented movement powers. Hopefully between new additions and overhauls of older skills (cough Primalist cough) this will mean we can get a snappier, more fluid gameplay experience as every class.

2 Likes

this sounds and looks nice… keep on going

Oooh, something to replace teleport on my spellblade, maybe! I do love shield-rush on my sentinel characters, this looks like an interesting alternative on the spellblade.

Patch 0.8.1 can’t come fast enough!

Love me some lightning! Awesome!

Aww there goes my fire shield build :frowning: but the new skill looks awesome!

Does this skill keying off Static mean Static is finally going to get its much needed buff? Manual activation is so weak its never worth doing. Just its LB autocast spec has any value.

1 Like

New Skill, New Build. Thanks Guys.

1 Like

sounds amazing!

sounds like a lot of fun! thanks! Keep up the good work.

Now my Shatter Strike SpellBro has a lunge equivalent. Much fun to be had.
Although the interaction with Static charges has me pondering options.

Looks nice!
My Spellblade uses Fire Shield, but could use this even more.

Out of curiosity, what is the idea behind removing Fire Shield?

It was ####/boring.

More than likely it’s because it was kind of too much along the lines of Flame Ward. Maybe Mage had too many “buff” type skills that were kind of similar to each other, and a lack of mobility skills (which really is just Teleport, which is pretty much a staple regardless of your build). This is nice because it gives another option for a mobility skill.

I think there’s only 1 class that has more than one mobility skill (Sentinel, Shield Rush, Lunge, Smite with the Descend node & kinda Volatile Reversal), every other class has 1.

While not a full class, lich mastery has reap + transplant :slight_smile:

1 Like