Linux native version doesn't start anymore

Game was working before release, but now doesn’t start. Also tried to reinstall. And other games work fine on my system still. This is from steam logs:

/var/home/xxxx/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.exe: /var/home/xxxx/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.exe: cannot execute binary file

proton version works well

It looks like the “Last Epoch.x86_64” binary is missing and is trying to launch the Windows version (“Last Epoch.exe”) instead.

I bought this game partially for their support of Linux. When I finally saw characters on the character screen (instead of the ghosts that never got fixed in early access), I was hopeful for the Linux support. I understand that they are probably frantically making updates and putting out patches, but to not actually include the binary for a supported OS is a pretty big miss for their QA department.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with an added twist. When I install the game, it installs the Linux version (with the Last Epoch.x86_64 binary) but I’m unable to launch the game. No error messages or anything, nothing happens.

Then, if I restart Steam, it starts to download the game again, and after the download is finished, it has replaced the Linux version with the Windows version (with Last Epoch.exe). The only way to stop this from happening is to force Steam to use Steam Linux Runtime 1.0 compatibility tool.

• Distro: Nobara 39
  • DE: KDE Plasma
  • CPU: i5-4460
  • GPU: R9 380
1 Like

Can confirm this is a real issue. And as others have said what is happening is that Steam is re-downloading the windows version of Last Epoch upon a system/steam restart and replacing the binaries with a windows based .exe application. This really does need to be fixed, its thrashing my hard drive every time I have to change it.

For those of you with this issue, here is how to get it to work on Linux if you’re having the above issue.

1. Right click Last Epoch in Steam and select ‘Properties’
  2. Click on the ‘Compatibility tab’ and put a tick in ‘Force use of a specific steam play compatibility tool’
  3. Select Proton Experimental and close the window (game will patch about 4.8gb data)
  4. Once patch is complete, repeat Step 2 except remove the tick from ‘force use of a specific steam play compatibility tool’. Game will re-patch with the correct Linux Binaries.

Do note you’ll have to do this every system/steam restart.

1 Like

I have this same issue, i need to activate and deactivate Compatibility tool to play each to i restart steam.

Playing on Debian 12, KDE.

If I understand correctly, this is not a bug of LE but affects several games on Steam for Linux.
see:

Now that I’m on the latest beta of Steam, it has stopped downloading the exe for me.

Same problem here, Please Fix it.

Distro: Arch Linux
Gnome
CPU: i3-12100F
GPU: RX 6400

I have exactly the same problem.

It would be nice if this problem could be solved in the near future…