Linux memory usage and persistent crash

ruh-roh.

This is on linux.

Trying to go into corrupted lake with one of my characters now kills my PC. I’m sure it’s an OOM issue as i watch the memory climb and then PC becomes non-responsive.

I’m going to try with one of my other characters and see if the problem is still present.

Also what’s going on with Linux memory usage ?! it’s sitting at about 10GB according to top. I checked with someone else in chat, and they are also seeing 10GB in top too.

update: tried on another character and corrupted lake still kills my system. this is very bad as I have not had this problem before.

re-install ?

Hey.

There are plenty people running LE successfully on Linux so chin up… :wink:

Personally I do not, so I am just offering some advice here but there are other Linux users who can/do chip in on ocassion…

Crashes at specific locations / loading into maps tend to bey corrupted install files (yip, happens often), graphics issues or if it happens on only one a specific character - corrupted savegames.

First things is if you are using Linux Steam, then please make sure to verify the game files…

Next… temporariliy drop your in-game graphics to 1080p, 60fps framerate limited (not vsync), ALL in-game settings to very low or disabled. Try and see if the crash still happens - if it does, then its likely your problem is not graphic related. If it stops crashing, then you have the known graphics instability issue and have to dial back your settings to find a “stable/best” config that works for your setup. LE has performance issues so being conservative, irrespective of what your hardware is capable of, is the best course of action right now.

Memory… This depends heavily on the game settings chosen… I have heard that its similar on Linux but on Windows you can easily get system memory usage up to 12GB and more just by changing in-game settings and framerates… Running the game on 1080p, with very low settings uses about 8GB on window 10 for me. From my experience it does increase/decrease over play and settle at a baseline but there are people who report that memory keeps climbing to the point where they find they have to restart the game every few hours. There has been no formal confirmation of this as it seems very hard to replicate on demand.

If the graphics & game verification above didnt do anything, then you can try and reset the game but backing up the ~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/ (or wherever your Linux distro put the LE files) and then removing the Last Epoch folder for it to recreate on next launch… This should reset your instance of the game to a clean state… If this works and a new char doesnt crash, then you can copy your backed up savegames back and see if they are ok…

Beyond that, I would do a search on the Forum for Linux related errors… There are issues around particular distros having hassles, Mesa driver issues, Vulkan, Proton …

Without playing the game on Linux myself, I cannot personally offer any other than the general (OS agnostic) help above… If you do see anything promising in the other Linux threads than I would ping one of the people involved - perhaps they can help more specifically than I.

I have been using LE on Linux for quite a while and was quite happy with how it was performing. This is new behavior.

I currently run 1080p at 40fps otherwise my fans are too loud.

Rebooting and restarting the game, and running a different character don’t help. And again, new behaviour. That makes me think corrupted file(s).

if this happens even infrequently, nevermind “often”, then EHG should be using checksums on critical files. I sort of assumed that this was standard procedure for games, at least for the critical files, but apparently not. Imagine how many weird crash reports they must be getting because a bit was flipped somewhere in a 10MByte library file.

ok. looks like it’s a re-install and see what that does…

Thanks for the reply.

1080p @ 40fps… so long as you are not using higher graphics quality settings that is probably the best course of action right now… (The higher settings can still cause instability even on the low res/fps) I run the test config I mentioned above because it just works the best for me and I really prefer stability/performance and happy hardware over eye-candy - doesnt matter the game really…

I think the game corruption is related to two things, 1) Steam doesnt seem to install things properly for some reason - especially when EHG drops regular patches over the course of a few days - I have done a patch update and then verified (without playing), only for Steam to replace 1.5gb files after just patching… this makes no sense really… and 2) when the game crashes, there is a good chance something can get corrupted… especially savegames, global files (like stash inventory) and lootfilters… While less likely, I wouldnt discount the possibility for core files becoming corrupted either…

Be sure to backup your local files before reinstalling…

Also, try the clean reset I recommended - i.e. backup and remove the Last epoch folder with all the savegames and settings and test the game on a clean setup to make 100% sure none of your files are causing the problem.

Good luck

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.