Linux - Game doesn't let me start playing after creating a character

I am playing on ubuntu 21.04 (kubuntu if that matters)
I have played the game in the past. I returned to check it out and it logins ok, it lets me create a character (plays the class intro) and then I am stacked there at character creation. I can’t get passed that. Menus still work, I can exit cleanly.

Log file attached:
Player.log (198.2 KB)

Hey. Welcome to the forums…

Quick note - I have zero experience playing games on Linux (Linux is for important things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) … but I will attempt to help.

LE does behave similarly when it comes to problems irrespective of the OS… Kubuntu shouldnt be an issue…

Firstly… please verify the game files through Steam - not sure how that functions on ubuntu but its a common cause of problems like this on Windows so its worth trying.

The player log references a graphics driver 450.119.03… Apparently there is a 460 driver - you may want to check if you can update that.

I see from the player log that you are running at a high resolution 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz with a 1080. so I am going to assume that you are using fairly high in-game graphics settings… On Windows high in-game settings can cause problems even on newer high end systems… As a test… Set the in-game setting temporarily to 1080p, 60fps framerate limited (not vsync) and all in-game settings to very low or disabled… Test if you can get into play with these settings… If you can, then increase the res… test… then increase the framerate (do not leave this unlimited - I would set it to no more than 100fps for your 1080)… test again… If its still ok, then increase the in-game settings testing as you go… The general concensus on Windows is that if you are having issues, to not go above Medium on any graphic settings or even less if you are running a high resolution…

There are other linux based issues on the forum that you may want to search… They refer to making sure Mesa drivers are updated & problems with using Vulkan but you will have to investigate which apply to you…

If none of the suggestions above work and if the in-game settings workaround doesnt work for you then you being Linux based I canot really offer more…

The devs would have to decipher the end of the player log…

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

So, I upgraded to nvidia-driver-460. I tested two other games to check everything still works, one with Proton (Rocket League) and one native (Rimworld), both seem to work fine.

LE still has the same behavior. Game loads, doesn’t crash, just can’t get passed character creation screen.
I’ve played with resolutions, graphics settings (from lowest to ultra), windowed/fullscreen, fps capped/uncapped/vsync off/on. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I’ve checked the integrity of local files (steam functionality), both times found a tiny (64 bytes) file different and re-downloaded.

Several lines in Player log seems to state that it can’t find some files in the place it it looking.

Re-attaching log
Player.log (122.2 KB)

This is the primary cause of issues like you describe on Windows and players usually have to re-verify files more than once to make sure everything working (no idea why)… … I am wondering if the following post is related to your issue… especially as you had played in the past - maybe something in the recent patches has not worked properly with your old previous version characters and its messed up your saves and cannot load the maps?

Perhaps making a backup of the LE folder, deleting it and then trying again may get you into the game with a new character?

the files should be in something like ~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/ on Linux…

The character creation screen is also a little odd right now as the game re-verifies your login whenever you go the character selection/creation screen… Maybe something related is also messing up during that process…

I’ve deleted the whole ~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh\ Hour\ Games/Last\ Epoch/
Same behavior as my original post.

I rechecked integrity of local files. Again a file of 64 bytes was redownloaded. I rechecked integrity without running the game, all was good.
Same behavior as my original post.

Oh well… not much I can offer otherwise…

Not sure what the issue is with the integrity of the files - it really shouldnt do this every time you check unless there is something that is constantly corrupting or a file it is struggling to overwrite each time… may be worth trying to isolate that exact file(s) and seeing what its for…

There is a recent update on the tech forum from linux users that you may want to try - just to see if it helps… Support for Linux distributions other than Ubuntu? - #6 by flying_hermes - obviously running the game in a docker is not ideal but maybe you can at least play?

Failing anything else … maybe the patch coming on Monday will inadvertently resolve the issues for you? Who knows… not sure if the Linux patch will drop at the same time as the windows one tho…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.