Leveling system that doesn't involve campaign

I fully agree with OP and hope there will be a way to not play the entire campaign for every alt. Not only because it becomes boring and is meaningless, some people with jobs and a family like me simply dont have the time to do this over and over again, if the campaign is enjoyable or not doesnt matter. That is why I am skipping the new POE league because all this nonsense grind is a torture to me. The endgame is where arpgs become really good and fun and why do I have to overcome the same obstacles over and over again just to get there? I dont get it!

5 Likes

Wolcen did the same.

2 Likes

you can do campaign on totally new class/build in like one day, I see no issue with it, I enjoyed getting the new skills gradually instead of a pile automatically, not everything needs to be handed to players on a silver platter EDIT: AND I just did it on my second only char, and MELEE

I also want the skills to level gradually and I don’t mind the time required for it. But I’d like to have an alternate way to level (have a choice), because I’m starting to get bored with the campaign. I purchased the game around three months ago and I did the campaign around thirty times during that period. I know it’s very little compared to some other players, but I’d lile some diversity.
I agree with you: the skills should level gradually, at the same speed than in the campaign, with the same requirements and restrictions. But I’d like to have a choice for the leveling method.

It’s just for people who don’t want to hear the same voice lines and see the same cutscenes over and over again. This game doesn’t have a ton of waiting in the campaign, but there is still some. If you could have the option of basically a lower level arena that would be a decent side option for when you still want to make a character, but going through the same exact storyline once again just doesn’t appeal.

Again this one is short and sweet so it’s not a huge deal, but as a man who just farmed for 3 days trying to get exsanguinous I can tell you “eterra is dead, orobyss is free” has lost its luster on the 1048th listen.

I have the opposite and likely unconventional opinion which is that the problem is that most aRPG’s tend to have (to be a blunt) a really bad story (for one reason or another) and that D3 and LE to a lesser extent is one of those aRPG’s (shameless plug to my post about this is here LoE's Lore/Story/art design needs work when it comes to execution/delivery). And of course if the story is mediocre/repetitive then it does feel annoying/boring for players to play through it again and again.

To me, PoE is best the best example of an aRPG with an excellently executed story that also intertwines with the gameplay which means that it doesn’t feel like you are repeating the “boring” story over and over again. Even the concepts of maps in PoE has a story behind it (i.e. with Zana and the shaper) and how this flows from the main campaign is done really well. This is ontop of having vaal “rifts” or other alterations as you play the story makes things more interesting. Its not all bad for LE in this regard, the story itself does have glimmers of hope in terms of explanations for redoing the story (i.e. the many travellers dialog that happens when you beat Omen of Silence at the end of Ruined Era), I just hope this sections gets improved a lot as the game starts getting completed.

There is also the glaring problem which is that LE doesn’t have randomized maps and this makes repeating the campaign each time even more boring since you can just memorize the important parts of the map and just speedrun through it. I don’t know what the dev’s stance on randomized maps are but I do think this also makes a big difference.

In summary I think that creating an alternate levelling system that ignores the campaign is just a copout/bandaid for not having enough dynamic randomization during the game and/or a forgettable story.

With the way LE’s campaign is currently, I’d actually be annoyed if the maps were randomized. I want to get through the maps as quickly as possible because there’s nothing to see encounter, story, or lorewise. If all I get for deviating from the shortest path is just more of the same mobs I’ll be fighting anyway, I’ve got no interest in exploring the rest of a map.

2 Likes

You can still randomize the map while making sure that campaign objectives are in the same direction (i.e. North/South/East/West) + place on the map. This is what games like PoE do, the campaign objectives aren’t entirely random.

I share the opinion of many here, the campaign I can’t take it anymore … It is not necessarily a question of speed of exp, or level of spells. It’s just super tiring to redo the campaign 1000 times. My wife thinks I’m crazy every time I cry to YOU ​​SHALL BURN. I must stop the campaign … And as said not to mention additional mode, just direct access to the monolyte or the arena adept at your level, or you bash a bit like a moron. Would do very well.
After I am rather mitigated on the speed of exp, that we say what we want personally I was very happy on Diablo 3 to take some stuff exp ask the guild for a PL, and 5 min after lvl max … After all, I play them X times, I have the right, I don’t think I have to go back 10 hours to assemble a character of 0 when I don’t even know if I will like it. Or if my choices in passives will be the right ones, sometimes you would like to be able to keep your spell points, as you can with your level points. This would make it possible to test a knot and if it does not please go back without 4 hours of farme.
I know it’s always a controversial subject, but personally I’m not ashamed to say that I don’t like spending 10 hours on a construction that I won’t like.

3 Likes

I mean I hope they find a way to satisfy both parties so to say. Give the people who dont like going through the campaign over and over again a system to skip it somehow once they have finished it once and the people who enjoy it, can still play the campaign.
Many people say that this is intended to make people play the game longer and therefore buy more MTX for example but for me it is just the other way round, I would play more characters and then much longer cause I wouldnt have to level all alts through the campaign anymore.

1 Like

Totally agree personally I take this beta to test, test and test again. But in order not to have to redo it and waste time when leaving … When leaving, I would not do the campaign 30 times (especially since it will probably be longer)
So in clear, I’m just going to avoid creating too many characters and that will limit my playing time.
So who if another way exists that I have the choice to skip the campaign, I would not hesitate to make rerolls and my playing time will surely be higher because I would always have the hype and the desire to see this what can this new character give.

1 Like

I just started to play the game yesterday, so I can’t say a lot about the story being boring or not yet. But I played Games like Diablo (2 and 3), Guild Wars (1 and 2), Elder Scrolls Online and PoE for almost 2 decades now, and I’m on board with the “having to repeat the whole thing over and over is boring” fraction. Even the greatest story gets boring after the 20st repetition. And if you create a new character, play through half of the game and realise then, that it’s just not the right thing for you, you face the fact that you have to do the same thing all over again, if you wanna try out another new build.
I really loved PoE (until recently), but after playing it for some years now it really felt like “Oh no, it’s leaguestart again… again playing the f*ing 10 acts until endgame… meeeeeh!”

2 Likes

I agree! That is why I Skipped this League and to me it is not dependent on whether the campaign is good or bad, its just the repetitiveness and simply the fact that as a Person with a family and Job dont have the time to Do it even if I wanted to play the campaign over and over again.

I also fully agree with what Arussa has said.

2 Likes

It is even obvious that it has nothing to do with the quality of the story of the ext lore. No matter how much we like something if you eat your soup every day, you will end up not being able to eat it. As good as she is.

So nothing prohibits a good campaign, nothing should prohibit the player who wishes to redo it, to redo it as much as he wishes.
But it shouldn’t be a requirement. Especially since in reality it is an artificial way to gain in life. While this is wrong, ARPG players play for the end game (they can enjoy the story but that’s not what is expected, a good story is a plus.) Forced the campaign won’t make it so no the more people are more interested in this one. Already a large part of the players do not limit reading a single line of text in several campaigns … Forced to redo it will not encourage them to read, they will be skip once more, be from the game because to have to start over and over again.
Very often for my part the campaign of an ARPG I consider it as the tutorial of the games, it familiarizes you with the mechanics gently … But no one remakes a tutorial 30 times as good as it is.

4 Likes

Hey,

The whole text is gonna be a imho so don’t be offended.

So, i feel like you’re all taking the campains, the acts whatever you call it, the wrong way. To me this is the best way to learn your characters, to test the way spells works together how the stats and tree affects the spells you want to play, what are the weaknesses and the strenght of the character you decided to play this time, etc… This is literally the perfect place to test all these things and it gate the possibilties to test everything behind a time consuming task and that’s a good thing.

Don’t make this game insanly casual friendly as D3 and others aRPGs please, we need aRPGs to be difficult, time consuming, unfair, this is what makes the game fun and durable. We need to feel like we’re chasing something at all time or it becomes boring.

I think the main problem is that people nowaday are just lazy and are just watching builds videos, guides and just want to get to the point where they can follow it blindly without having to go throught the whole process of thinking, testing and finding things themselves.

I’ve made 5 characters from scratch ATM, they’re all 90+ cleaning 100 content and i’m ready to run the campain 1 million time, who cares since it makes me understand a lot of thing about the new characters i’m creating.

The whole LE campain is like 3 - 5 hours, what is 5 hours in ARG genre…

TL;DR : Use the campain to get better at the game, create your builds instead of C/P and it’s not gonna be painful anymore.

3 Likes

Agreed. But a campaign is not the only way to do so.
I don’t want to copy an existing build. Or, to be more precise, sometimes I do and most of times I don’t. I want to level with my own build, my own ideas, my own experimentations, my own failure. And I don’t mind if it takes me 8 hours to get to level 50, I’m not in a hurry, this is a very enjoyable moment. But I’d like sometimes to do it another way. I’ve been playing for about three months now and I played the campaign around 30 times. Even if it is a very nice campaign, I’m getting bored of it. Temporarily bored, I’m sure, but bored though. And I want to level new heroes. I want to level them slowly, with my own experimentations. And I would like to chose the leveling method. I could spend 8 hours in the campaign, I could also spend 8 hours in another activity. I would like to be able to chose.

1 Like

I also do not necessarily agree with the reflection that this is a place to test things. It’s long linear and preconceived, we know which monster we’re going to see ext, you can’t test in the field if you build can be good for the arena, you never have the same density of mobs or other factor … So the best way to test an arena build is in arena. Like you want a build speed, for speed run certain monolyte, to get equipment quickly. The only way to test this is in monolyte.

In the countryside you do not test anything, you go up a personal very slowly in known areas, and without any surprise it is tiring and uninteresting (if you have already done it).
Why on almost all games test servers exist is not for nothing. You can take a character directly max level, take the equipment you want, and play it in the mode you want, and you see if it suits you and react the way you want ext. Afterwards if you like it you come back to the official and you assemble ext characters but you know what you will have. The countryside is not a place for her. It’s long and boring when you do it 30 times …

I think without any judgment, that if you don’t like the farmer like a Chinese, and you don’t have the spirit of competition, ARPGs are not for you, but rather classic RPGs. An ARPG is designed like this, the goal in most cases is the end game, the story very often is just because you have to put one, and give a “tutorial” area to the new player. But 90% of the game is bashing the flaw, finding ever stronger equipment to be able to make ever harder content.

After that I do not want to create a debate on this subject because precisely that is not the subject. But the competitive spirit in everything leads to cheating, it is the human spirit and you can’t help it.
I am a sports coach in life, I can assure that at my level of small coach I already see guys with syringes of product for performance. In the studies it is the same, the medical students take medoc / steroid to be awakened consented. In esport the same, sport too. And on ARPGs too! Diablo 3 the ladder is who botches the most. But on all the games of the genre, trade is never fair in these games, there is always the big player who has almost the monopoly of a resource that he sells at disproportionate prices (hello POE and other ) and unfortunately this game will not be an exception.
As long as there is competition, it will be the one who shuts the most, the one who spends more time on the game. It may seem unfair but no. It’s like that in all areas of competitive life you don’t become the best training only twice a week between your job and the hours for your family.

I think there should be another option as well, but I also think that people should have to play through the campaign for the story at least once. I would even go as far as saying that once on each class if they make the story different for each (beyond the opening segment).

3 Likes

So you are whinning about the story being boring then say the opposite 2 posts after that.

The most competitive format you get on an aRPG is racing, racing is being able to go fast from a point A to a point B, story is like a huge part of that format since you need to learn how to complete it as fast as possible and the most effective way as possible.

Then you say that to be able to play an aRPG you need to handle the farming properly, completing act and going through campain is literally… farming.

Following your thoughts the Campain is boring so farming is boring too.

It seems the game is not for you.

Mh seems unlucky. :thinking: