Legendary Items: a slight "deterministic" tweak

Had a quick idea on how to make Legendary items a tiny bit more deterministic but keeping most of the RNG (random number generation, aka randomness).

Premise: a 4 LP item has no RNG, as you get all 4 affixes added. A 3 LP item has small RNG. 2 LP has significant RNG, and a 1 LP item has the most RNG.

Idea:

• Affixes from the Exalted item are added in order from highest Tier to lowest tier.
  • If two affixes are tied, then its RNG to determine which.

Results:
Players can now game Legendaries as follows:

• for 1 LP items, you just need to find the affix you want as Exalted.
  • for 2 LP items, you find the exalted and 1 T5, leave the others T4 or less.
  • for 3 LP items, you get 1 exalted, 2 T5s, last less

It still requires some hunting to find the perfect item for your Legendary, and of course, still requires the hunt for the Unique with LP in the first place.

Alternate idea:

• higher tiers get weighted priority, but its still RNG. Above still sort of applies, but RNG plays a bigger role, and you could still not get the exalted on a 3LP item due to RNG.
1 Like

Agree that this is a problem. I look at it a bit like this: If a 2 LP item both has 100% more total power and 100% more chance to save your favourite affix than a 1LP item, doesn’t that make it sort-of 4x as good overall? And so on.

However I think that adding such a strong degree of reliability to legendary crafting as you’re suggesting runs against the design objectives for this mechanic. Not to say that I hate the idea of truly reliable and controllable crafting, but EHG absolutely do. lol.

Maybe there’s some potential to put bounds on the RNG side of crafting rather than removing it entirely. Maybe eg. split LP into Prefix and Suffix potential? Or another way to frame it is for LP items to have a chance to drop with a “legendary modifier” like

• Guaranteed to keep at least one prefix
  • Guaranteed to keep at least one suffix
  • Guaranteed to keep the highest-tier affix (presumably this wouldn’t be particularly more common than a high LP roll)
  • Guaranteed to keep the lowest-tier affix :slight_smile:

I kind of like this idea because you could do a lot more with it, like eg. “cursed” items with an interesting downside (in exchange for a higher LP roll or w/e)

• Affixes lose 1 tier
  • One affix is rerolled and increases by 1 tier (like a glyph of chaos, but might even produce an exalt affix)
  • You may not receive bonus [health/armour/resistances/damage] from affixes on this item (variant modifiers for each stat)

This is exactly my thought. I don’t see it viable.

This sounds better but I don’t know if these modifiers should be on the Unique Item (I feel like will have too much things in the tooltip). Maybe something like this should appear on the Eternity Cache? For one part will be unfair if you get a combination you don’t want and will be a waste of time, for other part, you will be grateful if you have luck with the right modifiers for your Legendary item. I mean, sounds more logic that these modifiers appear on the Eternity Cache, but I don’t think nobody will like this idea, unless the downsides are modifiers that makes you say “it’s fine, i’ll do it anyway”.

I also think such ideas are good.

My problem is the following:

I like collecting almost all uniques with “legendary potential 1/2” about as much as uniques without additional potential.
→ I usually sell this junk.

How about the potential extra rule (in addition to existing) the respective unique has the ability to simply assimilate all T6 + T7 affixes guaranteed, everything else just goes to waste.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Lets look at the RNG:

1. RNG to even drop a unique with the LP you want
  2. RNG to even drop an exalted with the stats you want.
  3. Right now, we have RNG as to which of those stats even make it over to the Legendary.

I mean, its RNG + RNG + RNG.

I think it would be nice to work hard to get the exact item you want for your 1 or 2 LP unique, and then be able to transfer the affixes. You put in the work to get both items. Why should there be a 3rd RNG involved?

1 Like

Here’s an alternative suggestion. Maybe implement this thing called trade which can more deterministically allow you to swap your RNG item for something closer to what you want.

2 Likes

Id rather they do neither. Trade being the optimal way to get the legendaries you want sounds terrible.

Id rather they come up with a solution that makes players happy while still keeping legendaries as a chase item.

I am not really having a problem getting items with 1lp that have good exalted mods… 1lp unique are dime a dozen and you have a 25% chance to hit the exalted mod which means on average it takes 4 exalted items and 4 of the unique with 1lp.

Personally wouldnt mind a way to add 1 LP to 0 or 1 LP items, but going over 2 seems to be pushing it, 3LP items have insane potential, and 4LP items are actually just insane regardless of the item they are on. 4LP beekeepers gloves are better then the exalted gloves you were wearing in almost all cases.

The thing is that the player community is not a monolithic entity. There are those that are pro-trade and those that are not. I can accept that the game wants “actually playing the game” to be the way to advance, but what makes me roll my eyes are those who are anti-trade but keeps coming up with suggestions to make items easier to obtain than if trade were implemented.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha. No. RMT has no place in video games.

This is true, and I can agree to an extent, but at the same time you can have trade, and make items easier to get without needing trading. They can coexist.

I think its a problem if the only solution to solving peoples item troubles is “trade 4head”.

I think its just legendaries in particular that people cant seem to agree on, since I mostly feel like they are in a perfectly fine place. I have yet to get a 4, and have only gotten 3 twice and both times they were weapons which took two useless suffixes instead of both my juiced prefixes. Seeing my 3LP dreamthron that I had t7 flat void and t5 melee speed and then some utility suffixes like chill and shock take the melee speed and the suffxes :frowning:

That being said, Ive gotten tons of 1LP items that rock, I have an exalted fire damage 1LP cinder song and exalted elemental damage over time 1LP soulfire. which took only like 3 attempts on the soulfire, so im not sure why people are mad at 1LP legendaries.

Because there are people who think they “have a life” and deserve to have everything a game has to offer “because they paid for it”, even if they only have time to play a game for 30min a day. People who thinks the world revolve around them and their preferences.

2 Likes

No, they cannot co-exist. Every game with trade has proven that.

Trade simply does not belong in ARPGs. Trade always comes with RMT, and RMT is poison (you get what you want if rich, not if poor). Trade is also literally, and mathematically, a crutch for poor drop rates. Fix the drop rates, and trade is irrelevant (as it should be).

I certainly lead to myself just liking to grind with good drop rates then trade.

But I dont think with the way they plan to put trade into this game RMT will ever be a problem.

Yes, I should mention I don’t consider the Bazaar “trade” in the traditional sense. Nor “inter-Party trade of items which drop while in party” (that’s more loot distribution than trade).

Real trade (i.e. open trade) guarantees RMT, and EHG seems definitely opposed to both. Which is good.

They also said that “the best items” (read: Legendaries) will not be tradable in the Bazaar.

So, that leaves just your own RNG on getting them. Thus, this thread.

Why though?

If you really like self-finding items, you probably don’t like an expansive trade system that will dominate the community and put your preferred playstyle in a corner. That’s going to be the case whether you’re the type of player who wants the item chase to last forever or last a week.

I agree with you with this! That’s why in this topic Crafting Impressions and Feedback I suggest to the original poster something to change the way we get LP for our Uniques, I think would be the best decision to get a non-equipment material that adds randomly LP to a Unique or just all Uniques should drop with LP 1 to 4 (but I personally like the first one). That way you don’t need endless grind to get the Unique you want AND with LP. So a bit less of RNG on this part.

But apart from this, I don’t like at all the idea of the higher affixes have more priority when transform to a Unique to a Legendary. I know sometimes the RNG system feels unfair, but If you can get your BiS items with relative easy… The game ends for the majority of people because lost the interest of keep hunting (and that is this, a loot aRPG) and only a minority will enjoy it. I think the idea behind this is always to target the majority of the public. I don’t know if I explain well what I’m saying. But the point is: Not too deterministic but not too much RNG, balance is the answer…

I see people say this a lot, and it just isn’t true. People lose interest in a game - period. It will always happen. 100%. No matter what. The key is, can the game hold them for a long period of time. Making loot rare does NOT in any way keep people playing a game. Interesting content, new builds, new items (not necessarily more powerful), new game modes - that is what keeps people interested in a game long term. RNG isn’t it.

2 Likes

It’s true. But what I’m saying wasn’t specific a lie. That’s what happen to me with PoE. Each league when I manage to get so powerful and beat all content, I lost interest to try to perfect my items because I don’t need it (and it’s very very expensive).

That’s a simple but bigger true. Grim Dawn, for example, it’s another one that I enjoy his story and content… for about 100 hours and never touch it again. There is almost non-existent end game content besides an Arena. It’s a good game that I finish his story with DLC and all but it lost my interest because of lack of Endgame.

No, RNG isn’t fun, I know that because it happens to me too. But a balance RNG will make people to play more to get what they want instead of get all easy with low effort and get it fast. It’s just for delay the process of quit a game before. It sounds stupid, but that’s how works.

No one is saying you have to get what you want with low effort and get it fast.

It’s already an RNG grind to get the Unique with LP on it (especially 2 or 3).
It’s already an RNG grind to then get the right Exalted for it.
Its just way too RNG/grind to then make the Legendary also RNG for which affixes on top of all that.

My idea is either highest tier (RNG for ties), or at least a weighted preference for higher tier affixes.

1 Like

I understand you. You want a tweak for that part of the system as you say in your main post. I want too a change, just only my changes would be different (like the example of the material who add random LP to Uniques). In that case, I have nothing else to add except that I hope for a change on this system from the dev team with the hope that will suit well for all the players :slight_smile:

Edit: I keep shi****g up with my english lol.