Legendary Items: a slight "deterministic" tweak

That’s quite a reach you’ve got there…

Edit: Every single aRPG (& cRPGs) have RNG in them.

1 Like

I said RMT (Real Money Trade) not RNG :slight_smile:

True, though it is still a bit of a reach to go from trade to RMT.

Open trade = RMT. There is no way to stop RMT with open trade. Open, meaning, Player to Player, direct trade. 100% of online games with open trading have RMT, no matter the genre (arpg, mmorpg, crpg, action, shooter, etc.) and no matter the EULA. RMT companies are 100% proficient at conducting RMT regardless of technology used to try to stop them.

And you know that LE won’t have open trade, so why bring it up?

I didn’t, another poster did.

No, Jerle said:

You replied with:

So, as you can see, any conflation between trade (and I know you know what EHG are intending to do) and RMT exists within the bounds of your own skull.

Unless you’re being deliberately disingenuous or trolling.

I’m sure they are, so you can PM ('cause the devs would be sad if you just posted them openly on the forum) me some links to RMT sites for the current D3? Unless there aren’t any and you’re overstating things for some reason.

1 Like

As I said, open trade = RMT. You cannot have open trade without RMT. He suggested adding open trade (rather than the idea of reducing RNG on Legendaries). i.e. he suggested adding RMT (because RMT and open trade go hand-in-hand.) He is an open trade advocate - he wasn’t talking about adding the Bazaar or Party Trade (as outlined in the FAQ).

I suggest you re-read Jerle’s post because at no point did he say open trade. If you want to put words in his mouth, that’s entirely up to you, but that’s not what he said. If you want to misunderstand what he said (deliberately or otherwise), that’s also entirely up to you, but

Really wasn’t what he said… Here it is for you once more.

Maybe you misread RNG for RMT like misread RMT for RNG?

1 Like

He meant open trade. I already was clear on that, due to his position on this forum for open trade.

I’ve worked on combatting RMT in a AAA game, and I feel it’s worth clarifying that this is not a wholly accurate statement. It can be stopped, it’s just that nobody does it because the ROI is terrible. The effort level and the cost in man hours is completely out of proportion to the benefits, which are essentially zero. It’s not impossible, it’s just not worth it to implement more than very basic, low effort measures (if any). Additionally, some developers have to operate with a mandate from C-level that combatting RMT can never result in a player being harmed - such as through repossession or account suspension - which absolutely hamstrings anti-RMT efforts.

-

But perhaps more importantly, numerous games that rake in money despite being rife with RMT have shown that the rage some players have about it is largely overblown and does not translate into financial loss. Lots of players get irrationally mad, but it’s transitory at best and almost never spurs anyone to stop playing or opening their wallets. Let’s not forget that D3 literally built RMT into the game and still broke sales records no matter how many people claimed they hated it. Because the reality is that no matter how much caterwauling there is about the principle of RMT, it almost never genuinely affects anyone negatively in a tangible way, and that makes all the difference.

All that to say - If they do implement open trade and RMT comes with it, so what?

2 Likes

It affects drop rates, so it affects players. Like it or not, players do quit over it. I left POE over it. I’m not alone, I’m sure.

That said, the closest I could come to fairly “open” trade without RMT would be a wholly anonymous auction house with buyout-only sales. No direct trading. It would be very hard for an RMT bot/account to arrange for a RMT that way, since the only method they have to get the gold/item to the player who purchased it would be to post it on a completely open AH where anyone could buy the item (and usually, AH’s don’t allow trading of gold/currency.) Even then, they could arrange for the sale at a slow time of day, arrange for the player who bought the item to get a text the second the AH post is up, they can search, find, buy asap. Decent chance of getting the item, but could still get sniped.

Anyway, philosophically, EHG doesn’t even want their best items up for any sort of trade, not even their Bazaar idea. So, to Llama’s point, discussing RMT at this point is sorta moot.

So, given that Legendaries are going to remain SF (self found), I do think that the way they are designed, the low LP items (which are LESS powerful) have way more RNG, and the 3-4 LP items (which are MORE powerful) have way less RNG, and I think that’s silly.

I mean if you think about it, with the current system and the way its going, it will end up that people are going to pull some crazy good items and they’ll be nigh impossible to repeat, like a lvl 100 Unique with 4 legendary affixes that are tier 5 or higher.
Just getting 1 is going to be really tough, especially one with all the things you want for it.

I like the idea of Trade being an extension of crafting. Can we trade affixes for crafting?

We have no idea what is/is not going to be tradeable, though I want to say that they’ve said that “the best” gear won’t be tradeable, though quite what they mean by that is somewhat open to debate.

Yeah the best gear won’t be tradable because you’ll want to keep it after putting that much effort into making it. I’m betting some of the super rare uniques with 4 legendary affixes are going to be as hard to get or harder than Mirrors in PoE.

Legendary are chase item = grinding = partly contribute to replayability

So, Imo defeats the design purpose, if they make it deterministic in any way.

Would be nice I think if there was a way to reset legendaries back to unique’s with the LP they originally had so if they don’t come out alright we can start again. Or if there was a RNG way maybe of adding LP to an unique using some rare item to be found or something.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.