Leaving player thoughts

Surely that’s not “brute forcing” or brainafk-ing something though?

1 Like

That’s unfortunate and I am not saying, there can’t be anything done about it and I am sure EHG has plans to make it more engaging and interesting, but also this seems like a player-mentality problem.

I guess the next question is, even if you reach the point where you are bored of that char, before sinking your teeth into one single timeline:

Did you had fun grinding and farming the blessings?
You know the journey is the goal kinda thing?

I doubt you didn’t had any fun, judging from the play hours you have in LE right?

While LE certainly is not a strategy game, I would say that MoF is.

Since the new MOF system, there are so many different approaches and strategies you can follow.

Slaying monster is still one of the core pillars, but I would not say, it’s the “main” part, at least on MoF, since the echo rewards usually give more than actual random drops.

But I guess this is going off-topic here.

That’s the thing I try to explain. After playing LE for a very long time I must admit that the journey is not what keeps me going. The rewards for grinding I actually find ok. The last patch added a lot of stuff. And I wrote it elsewhere that I never had that much fun with LE than now with 0.8.4. It really gave me the incentive to play a lot. I leveled 2 bears into 80s and 90s, I leveld a Spriggan and I played a lot of Bladedancer with UB. The new crafting is awesome and the dungeon rewards/legendaries are cool.

The thing is that the gameplay is fun for me throughout the story. The first monos are ok. But after that the experience becomes flat and bland. The goals/rewards keep me going until a certain point.

Since empowered is where I wanna be, the normal monos just feel like filler content. I collect some blessings that are ok temporarily. But I know that in case to become better, I need to rerun the monos on empowered. I’ll change the normal blessings for the grand blessing immediately when I get the chance.

Somehow this degrades the normal monos to just a filler content. And it is artificially stretched at the end when I have to do three timelines of the same level to unlock empowered. And to know that I have to go through all this because I’ve done it many times already and knowing how it feels, let’s me give up on it before I reach that goal. It doesn’t seem rewarding to do so. On the other hand I know that it will feel better once I got there.

I thought that it might be more rewarding to have different blessings for normal and empowered monos. So the normal mono rewards feel more meaningful as you would keep them on top.

Yeah, absolutely. But you can’t change player mentality with rational arguments (sometimes maybe you can…). It’s how its received.

I have to admit that I can’t say exactly why I feel that way. I think that it would not be that bad if the moment to moment combat would be more satisfying. That’s why I contributed on these topics a lot more lately. But I may also be a bit burned out on LE these days.

Objectively LE is doing so many things right. This game has come a long way and evolved greatly. It has a very good foundation to take off into the ARPG heaven. But as we come closer to release (I hope we do :grin:) the focus is more and more on the smaller details. The polishing like animations, VFX, Sound design. The things that make the icing on the cake. The things that make the difference between a good game with promising potential and the next great ARPG.

If two years ago you would’ve shown me the current game I would’ve been stunned.

But today I’m nitpicking on the details, hoping EHG can push it even further.

I still love LE. Just the honeymoon phase is over for me and the flaws are getting more obvious in my eyes.

5 Likes

To me, there are two clear pillars for a great ARPG - slaying monsters and hoarding loot.

LE basically doubled down on the slaying monsters part because they want that to be the primary way to obtain loot (as opposed to other ARPGs which adopt an open item economy). So to say slaying monster is not the main part of MOF is to admit that EHG messed up somewhere with the MOF experience.

This is further compounded by the fact that MOF is LE’s version of POE’s mapping system. It is the endgame mode that connects to all others. So if MOF doesn’t feel good to slay monsters, we have a very serious issue here.

3 Likes

I played Lost Ark alpha. I don’t think you’ll like it any better. Alot of the monsters felt like damage sponges and I didn’t even get that far. I would grind Monos over that any day. I’m not saying monos are the best engaging gameplay, but I like them more than D3 rifts.

1 Like

Normal timelines are just a filler towards empowered timelines.

Thank you! That’s exactly how I feel and what bothers me, but I only felt it without being able to name it. Now thanks to you I understand why I feel so.

I come back to an idea I had on another topic. With uour first character, we have to complete the normal timelines and go to empowered. With other characters, we could do with a faster way. Maybe a trial echo, to prove we can handle it? Or maybe, as some players want, direct access to empowered?

And then, could we handle empowered with no “basic” blessings?

2 Likes

when i get bored with last Epoch, i simply take a break and come back later but i don’t make a post for this, just to discourage people playing it, it’s a good game on this own, not perfect but not ugly either and then it’s a game, all of them will eventually boring you at some point :smiley:

I hope you’ll find your endless pleasure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Personally I do find the mechanics of the gameplay and mono’s themselves highly repetitive. If that was all that was on offer, I would also be taking long and frequent breaks from the game.

However, the one thing that I think LE does well is the amount of chase items (farmable) on offer. With the new inclusion of Uniques with LP and being able to make Legendaries, it has breathed new life into the game (at least for me). In the last few weeks I have been hunting down unique & exalted bases for a few builds in Empowered monos. Now while the actual gameplay in those monos is boring me senseless most of the time, the OCD hunt for those bases drives me on endlessly.

I also like the fact that dungeons have now introduced an alternate place to go farm exalteds (despite my loathing of the Julra fight). It’s nice to have some slightly different scenery and what seems like a higher exalt drop rate location.

So, as long as I have items I need to hunt, it gives me motivation to play.

1 Like

when i get bored with last Epoch, i simply take a break and come back later but i don’t make a post for this, just to discourage people playing it, it’s a good game on this own, not perfect but not ugly either and then it’s a game, all of them will eventually boring you at some point

This exactly. I play other games, too and I switch to them when a new season starts or some new content is added. And respectively, when I get bored with them I come back to LE. The game is not even in a end Beta version and we have only seen half of the endgame stuff, so making a post that you are leaving a game still in development is pretty irrelevant for me lol.

On a general note, Diablo 3 offers just the best core monster-slaying gameplay released yet, while the systems are shallow and the power-increases you get between sets and legendaries are off-putting to many people to say the least, still feels fluid, impactful, great graphics and runs smoothly.

I had this conversation with some people in other places, there are players that just place core gameplay so above and beyond any other game traits, their way of having “fun” is completely different you yours, and is perfectly fine.

Also so many players just make a full run or two into story and then shelve the game, and move to another one. And not everyone like to grind hours and hours on end for whatever their goal is.

And agree with the latest comment, we sometimes are already selling the fish before fishing it.

That’s kind of true and the problem because everyone journeys to another goal. I like char building and tinkering with game systems and there is only so little you can do here. Yes you can call out the skilltrees and whatnot for sure but this is already pretty solved for ME and the way I want to play and approach things.

It’s a bit like the poe passive tree… so many options and so much freedom it’s completly overwhelming! WTF? Get enough HP or shield take the keynodes for your build and put the rest in dmg. Same goes for LE… take the most beneficial nodes you can get. After some time you’ll understand it ^^. Just remember the moment I was baffled because of the crit nodes in harvest we talked about ^^. These moments are gone. identifying new threats from onester? Not realy. learn new boss patterns… done that was there.

For me to much is on autopilot in LE with some “Now concentrate for 5 minutes to kill that shade/empowered boss.” It might simply get old for me pretty much while others are happy AND I still have high hopes EHG will offer something more to us and because of this I’m not unhappy and just take a breake from time to time and put another 50h into when I feel like it :).

I’ll just wait untill something intresting get’s added like in every major patch in the last months and hope I don’t burn through it that fast to get back to boring mono runs ^^.

I don’t think endgame is boring, I think the game is just empty right now. I think the system is a cradle for things to fill it later. I can understand why people aren’t excited with it right now.

Just in general, I tend to agree with the endgame being kinda boring, especially monoliths. It just is the same generated maps, over and over again, at varying degrees of difficulty. If the maps had more disparity or randomized a bit more that would be more fun. It would also be interesting to have better nodes in the monoliths, some of them just are kinda useless after a point. Especially EXP and Gold ones the later you get.

I just get bored doing mono’s the reward/time ratio on it doesn’t feel like its worth it.
I too have tried all the different builds, tried my own, tried buildtools, dungeon is pretty cool, and im looking forward to more of those.

That’s it, no major “i hate this game leaving”. Just, kinda bored with the current endgame situation, i’ve already played it a ton and the replayability is going down for me.

1 Like

Godspeed man. I’ll be playing some lost ark as well, but why not just play both?

Play two different free-to-play games at the same time ?!?!

3 Likes

Bad news here but the core of Mono is a fixture in the game. It can be improve definitely but if the root of your boredom is “running Mono repetitively” then you are out of luck.

Because RNG = Repetitive

He is going to HATE the boring, easy, yawn fest that is leveling in Lost Ark.

Also, I don’t know if Lost Ark will hold me without ARPG itemization and builds. It’s got some pretty cool end-game raids though, but I need that loot drop dopamine.

But what are the Early Access Beta feedback forums there for if not for feedback about the game in early access?

If everybody would just leave without commenting on why, what are the the things for devs to improve?

5 Likes

Good point Raw. I hadn’t really looked at it from that perspective. It’s always going to be a fine line though between a constructive leaving post and an emo drama seeking one. I guess it comes down to the level of detail posted in the reasons.

Sure, feedback would be better from him