LE noob mechanics thread

Been doing some Monolith but I’m a bit unclear how this works exactly. What is a quest echo? I have 2 options and one is a quest echo and the other just says echo option 2? What is the difference exactly?

Simply each of them has an effect on your monolyte monster for 1 or more monolyte. It’s up to you to choose the one that seems easiest to manage for your character. It is a penalty that you have no choice but to take, take the least the worst.

Finally that is if you want to go far. Because these penalties also bring a bonus (exp and loot) So also choose according to that. If you don’t care if you don’t finish all echoes all the way to the boss and you just want XP, take what gives you the best%. Same for if you want to loot. It’s all about the goal.

1 Like

OK well I guess I need to look up wtf a monolyte monster is. lol. I have no idea what I’m doing apparently. Is all this information supposed to be conveyed in game somewhere? I don’t recall seeing it.

An echo is akin to a ‘map’ in PoE - the zone you enter after picking from the two options.

Each monolith timeline (for example, ‘Fall of the Outcasts’) has 3 ‘quest echoes’. These echoes have set objectives that are generally different from the normal ‘kill the boss/cleanse the forge/slay the spires’. The 3rd quest echo is the final boss for that timeline, and killing that boss allows you to select a blessing along with opening a pathway to a new timeline.

1 Like

The Game Guide (press [G] in game) has an entire section dedicated to the Monolith Of Fate System.

Besides that it also contains all kinds of useful informations.

1 Like

Basically, in the monolith a timeline is an alternate storyline. What would happen if…
For example, how would the world be if Undeads were ruling it?
What would the world be if Heorot defeated Rahyeh?
What would the world be if Dragons ruled it?
And so on.
In each timeline, you have standard echoes, which are small straightforward missions. Kill an Elite, cleanse a forge, etc.
You also have three quests. These quests are part of the global “what if” twist and represent steps in the story line. For example, if Undead ruled the world, they would build a bone pile in the Outcast camp and they would try to take over Maj’elka. And the third quest is always about a boss that is the “pinacle” of the story. For example, the Abomination.
The only exception I could see is Reign of the Dragons, where the three quests are all boss fights and not fully linked.
When you complete the third quest, you get access to a new timeline. And when you complete the last one, you can empower all timelines, which raises their difficulty to 100.

2 Likes

Just some minor correction.

You only need to complete the 3 lvl 90 timelines (The Last Ruin, Age Of Winter and Spirits Of Fire) to unlock empowered timeliness.

1 Like

And in that same spirit, you can’t get to those 3 monoliths without running through at least the left or right “track” of monoliths (eg, Fall of the Outcast, Stolen Lance/Black Sun, Blood, Frost & Death/Ending the Storm, Fall of the Empire & Reign of Dragons).

@Heavy @Llama8 True, that’s what I meant, I should have stated that you don’t need to complete all timelines, just the three 90 and therefore a whole path leading to them.

3 Likes

I know, I’m just one-upping @Heavy’s pedanticism with my own, far superior, pedanticism.

2 Likes

I don’t really know what you’re talking about. As a French guy, I am naturally superior and arrogant, and for me, you all look pretty the same. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yeah… Be aware that @Llama8 is an alien entity that just pretends to be a Britsh human accountant. I think it choose this identity because British accountants are always strange (even the human ones) so it wouldn’t raise much suspicion.

5 Likes

Wait… Health on hit also works for spells???

1 Like

Unless it says health on melee hit, yes. Everything hits unless it doesn’t (because it has the DoT tag or it is a DoT like ignite and bleed).

2 Likes

Totally noted it, bro.

2 Likes

I’m having a bit of confusion about Leech. I have 8 points in World Eater which gives 12% melee leech and 12% void leech. I also have 2.1% leech on hit and 25% increased leech from gear. I have 3 questions:

• I doubt this is the case, but just so I’m sure, do both leeches from World Eater apply to melee void damage for 24% total? Or is each ability limited to triggering only one category of leech even if it fits both damage types?

• On my character sheet it shows 3% on hit and 15% melee leech. This makes sense based on the 25% bonus (2.1 * 1.25 = 2.625 rounded to 3, and 12 * 1.25 = 15). However, I expected to see the 3% added to melee (as it tends to display for increased damage) for 18%. Am I missing something?

• A possible reason that just occurred to me for it not displaying as expected is if melee damage can occur in some way other than on hit. Does this mean that DoTs triggered by melee attacks would also leech?

Thank You

1 Like

Yes, the two types of leech will both apply to any damage that they can apply to. So melee void damage will benefit from both.

Probably not, the character screen can be a bit fickle but the devs are reworking it (hopefully for 0.8.2 eh @EHG_Mike?)

DoTs can leech as long as you have some generic leech (such as the leech from the Bleeding Heart unique amulet or the void leech from World Eater would allow any void DoT to leech). Since DoTs aren’t melee & don’t hit they won’t benefit from the melee leech part of World Eater or the “leech on hit” from your gear.

2 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up dude.

1. Not complaining but that’s OP and now it is my mission in life to work Increased Leech Speed (or however that stat is worded) into my build.

2. I’ve been excited about that update ever since you shared those screenshots of the character/blessing/skill displays they’re working on.

3. Cool, that’s what I thought but I was grasping at straws to come up with an explanation.

1 Like

Anomaly is your friend for that, you can get up to 200% increased leech from the Void Maw node.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and Woven Flesh is starting to look mighty tasty even if my DPS takes a hit.