LE:13 Authentication failed - PC freeze

Bought the game 2 days ago, played without issues. Then today when i tried launching
the game, it continued to freeze my PC 5 times in a row, i did 3 filechecks but the
game will not properly launch.

I managed to get into the main menu of the game and it says “LE:13 Authentication failed” …
i can’t turn off the game from any menu, the only way to regain control is to COMPLETELY
re-start my PC…

This is really making me aggravated, because i’ve played a ton of beta/alpha games
and i’ve never had a game freeze my PC in this manner before.

Hello there!

I’m sorry to hear you’re suddenly running into these issues. I had a look into the account side of things, and everything appears correct there. Can you include some log files to have a look at?

This will help us see if your system is reporting any sort of errors, and what the client is trying to do behind the scenes when this happens. Considering it was working fine just two days ago, there would certainly be interest in anything that has changed since that point. If you’ve made any hardware or software changes, or if you’re running any sort of programs which may potentially conflict such as anti-virus programs which could have received updates, or been inactive previously.

There is no crash-file at the suggested location .
C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/Temp/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Crashes

There isn’t even a - Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch in that location.

There also isn’t a log file at the above mentioned location.

DxDiag.zip (16.5 KB)

For the game log file, it would be in a slightly different directory - C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Player.log

There is no player.log at this directory - C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\

There was a player-prev .
Player-prev.zip (1.6 KB)

Chipping in here…

No player.log is very odd - in my two years helping out here I have never had an instance where a player found no player.log… No idea what this could mean.

The player-prev.log is truncated before the game is even properly initialised so I cannot see anything to help figure out what has happened. Kain may be able to deduce something from that…

You dxdiag diagnostics shows no LE AppHangs or Crashes being trapped at Windows OS level and there are no trapped errors that would indicate that Windows has frozen or anything has crashed at an OS level… There is nothing to indicate anything and nothing to work from…

From the rest of your config, I see that you are running 19043 Windows 10 - there is 19044… Perhaps a windows update happened in the last two days that failed or caused some sort of change on your system? I would check windows updates to see if there is anything that happened in the 2 days or some optional update that is needed… Windows updates most definitely can cause unexpected issues…

Same with any other apps you are running like local Antivirus/Firewalls etc - an update may have caused something., Are you running anything while testing LE - anything that could have been updated? Have you installed anything new since your last successfully LE playsession?

Also - this may not directly impact on the reason why you have been unable to play after playing fine 2 days ago, but your GPU drivers are REALLY OLD… Dated 2021-09-13 - this is well old enough that if Windows did an update in the last 2 days there may now be some sort of GPU driver mismatch issue. I am guessing here because there isnt much to work from, but I would definitely update your GPU drivers irrespective of anything else.

Lastly, as a shot in the dark, I would View Reliability History on your system to see if there is any Windows notice about a change since you last played successfully - or any other logged message - even at an informational level that could indicate something different on your system. Its almost as if your system had a hardware fault at such a low level Windows didnt even trap it… Even someone pulling the power plug should log a unexpected shutdown in the logs…

I had a look through the files, and I think Vapourfire summed it up fairly well. Based on the heavily truncated player-prev.log, and completely missing player.log, alongside a login authorization failure issue strongly makes me think there’s an antivirus program which is preventing LE from communicating or writing to the PC. In addition to checking EventViewer, a couple of things I might recommend trying:

• Check any anti-virus program to ensure LE isn’t being incorrectly tagged and isolated
  • Backup C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\ then remove the folder entirely. Then Launch LE with administrator privileges so it can try to re-create the folder. It’s possible there’s a corrupted settings or save file that it’s trying to read. Something may have changed with LE’s permissions to this folder. Note this folder also contains save file information, so it’s important to back it up first.

I’ve reached out to our technical and QA team as well to see if they can provide some more insight as to what may be going on.

1 Like

the DX.diag was an “old one” . I’ll make a new one and upload it.

Here is a fresh diag . DxDiag.zip (18.0 KB)

Btw… I started up the game again. But this time i didn’t start it up using the startmenu
from STEAM. I used a shortcut from the .exe file in the installation folder.
The game started but it didn’t automatically log me in, and it still said “LE:13 Authentication failed” , and i couldn’t use shift-tab to enter steam menu.

Ok…

The updated Dxdiag still shows unpatched Windows and although a newer GPU driver, its still from March and not the latest. There are still a few items in the diagnostic section that I will touch on later below - one I believe is very important as it could be the cause of your issue.

Can you provide any feedback on the other questions asked? Have you attempted any of the suggestions?

Have you checked in your system logs / event viewer / view reliability history to see what changed on your system between when you last successfully played the game to now? Are there any info/warning/error messages that occur around the time you have the issues?

Have you checked if your antivirus or firewall software has flagged something or is preventing network access to any component of LE/Steam?

Have you done the removal of the LastEpoch folder as per Kains suggestion? Did this make any difference?

Your comment about starting the game from the EXE and not from Steam just bypasses Steam - hence the fact that you cannot enter the Steam menu - nothing surprising about that.

If you are trying to exclude Steam then a way to remove Steam from the equation entirely is to use the Standalone LE launcher (available from your account page on EHG)? This may not resolve the Le13 issue but it would totally remove Steam from any possible cause of the issue.

Your diagnostic section at the end of the Dxdiag contains a few things that need to be checked:

1. VoiceControlEngine.exe - there is a MSI Dragon Center application that is crashing on your system… I personally have no experience using this component but googling seems to indicate that it has some voice control capabilities and the exe that is crashing is involved with this. I would make sure that this app is either updated or removed if you are not using it… Apps like this can and do cause problems if they are not running well - and can cause general instability that affect other things.

2. WindowsServicingFailureInfo - specifically 0x800F0984 - which seems to indicate that you have a corruption on your system that is preventing Windows from updating correctly and could DEFINITELY explain why something is all of a sudden not working on your system. Note, this error has nothing to do with LE or Steam - there is something on your OS that is failing that needs correcting and could indirectly cause any number of unknown issues with any number of applications.

If you google this code 0x800F0984 , you will see that the recommended solutions involve:

I updated my GPU driver and successfully started up the game and played
3 times sofar . Knock on wood. I will update this if same problem occurs again.

Fantastic…

Only other thing I would make sure is fixed is the windows issue…

and maybe make a system restore point to revert back to if something else happens?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.