Last Epoch on macOS

No more uncommon than for Windows. Never heard of High DPI scaling on Windows?

Its referencing ā€˜Retinaā€™ DPI levels on displays, eg Macbook Pro/5k 27" monitors/Surface Laptops etc. So you end up having to scale UI elements otherwise they would be tiny.

I guess you are on a 1440p or lower monitor? Kicks in around 4k on a 27" screen, my 14" screen is at around 1964p for reference. (254 DPI or pixels per inch if you prefer)

1 Like

Nope, only ever seen DPI used with respect to printing. Though I do remember Apple making a bit of a fuss about the retina display when they launched it.

I am on a 1440 monitor, though given I now have a 4080 graphics card, if I could afford a 4k monitor Iā€™d get one (divorce, unlikely to happen any time soon).

Really cool to hear this is actually a doable thing. Iā€™m not yet ready for a new mac (I tend to wear mine into the ground because one of the perks of them being more expensive is in the long run they also last a lot longer), but this at least bodes well for me to be able to keep playing LE when that time comes.

Oh dude. I know this can be a mixed thing depending on the situation so whichever this is (good or bad) I hope it goes as smooth as possible.

1 Like

Currently having this exact issue - but this fix is not working for me. Any other ideas?

I came back to start the game but Unity kept crashing before the game could fully load. This was odd given that it had been running for a while without issue and I assumed that something to do with the graphics settings was causing an issue. To fix this crash I had to delete the boot.config file at <WINE_HOME>/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch_Data/boot.config and le_graphicsmanager.ini file at <WINE_HOME>/drive_c/users/crossover/AppData/LocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/le_graphicsmanager.ini .

This issue ^^

Hi everyone, just installed and played successfully LE on Mac ( M2 max ) using Crossover 2 3.7 ! Here are the steps:

• create a Steam bottle
  • install LE with Steam
  • best performance/ no glitches or bug, use D3D Metal combined with Esync
  • enjoy :grinning:
    Iā€™m playing smoothly with ultra quality settings, 2540x1440 and really happy, canā€™t wait for the new update and official release !
    Cheers,

Thanks to Akmadā€™s suggestion about dumping those files, Iā€™ve had good luck getting the game to load. One thing I"m still having some issues with is after several zoneā€™s loading screens, itā€™ll freeze up on changing zones and Iā€™ll have to restart. Has anyone else ran into that? I donā€™t know if it persists into monoliths or not as Iā€™m just picking back up the game.

Running currently though a Whiskey setup bottle for Steam. I am not sure if Iā€™m using D3D Metal or how to check specifically. But happy to try much of anything.

Hi,

Another Mac user here. Successfully running Last Epoch using WhiskeyApp on Sonoma. Running smoothly with Ultra gfx mode as well. Using 14" M1 Max. Only issue I am having currently that I am yet to figure out is that trying to create a loot filter makes the game hang. Pasting in a filter into the directory and trying to select it causes the game to crash as well. Other than that game has been smooth sailing so far! :slight_smile:

I am using Whiskey as well and I havenā€™t had any issues with the landing zone screens. Whiskey by default uses msync. You can change it to esync and try by clicking the Bottle Configuration button for your bottle in Whiskey. I had it set to msync and didnā€™t have any issues. Tried changing to esync to see if it fixes my issues with the filter button but no change haha.

Quick update if anyone else faces the loot filter issue. I solved it! Looks like for some reason its the clipboard thats causing the issue. So if you have something copied in your MacOS clipboard (text, files, etc), the game hangs when opening the filters. So all you need to do is either restart your computer or just clear it via a terminal command. I am not sure if itā€™s ok to paste terminal commands here or post links to sites on how to do it, but a google search for ā€œclear macos clipboardā€ will give you the command on how to do it without having to restart. Very happy loot filters are working now :slight_smile:

So can anyone make a definitive guide to playing this on Mac in 2024? Thank you.

My friend has an M1 (non-pro/non-max) MacBook Air, how do you think it will run?

Itā€™s fairly straight-forward. You just install Steam for Windows using either CrossOver (paid app) or WhiskeyApp (Open Source). Once you have Steam installed, then you launch Steam (from CrossOver or Whiskey) and install Last Epoch from the steam store inside. Thatā€™s it :slight_smile:

As for m1 MacBook Air, it should work pretty good. Probably might need to run on Medium-Low gfx.

Any idea why performance is variable? On my sonoma 14.1.1 it runs 60fps, low settings, 1080p. On my other 14.3.1 Sonomaā€™s (M1 MBA and M1 Mac Mini) it runs 30fps 720p low settings.

Performance will vary depending on your hardware. Performance on an MBP with M1 Pro for example will be different from a base M1 Air.

I figured it out. On my two identical M1 Mac mini devices performance was wildly different. On the slower one, I installed CXPatcher and it worked finally. Initially the slower one could only do 720p 30 fps. After patching both are now able to do 1080p 60 fps

What Mac are you playing this on and what is your RAM? Iā€™m playing on the new M3 Macbook Pro and with Crossover I can barely play 1512 x wtv on Very low.

Hey, iā€™m playing on a base M2Max Mac Studio ( 32go ram), which is a quite powerful gaming machine thanks to Ram amount yes + the 30 GPU cores. Base M3 have 18 gpu cores, i suppose should be the main difference here, which resolution are you using ?

Game is running fine (normal M2), but I can not increase the resolution beyond 1512x982. Anyone knows a fix? And how should I configure whisky?

Edit: fixed it by enabling DXVK, running at about 45 fps with medium setting and okay resolution. Letā€™s hope 1.0 runs as well!

Running better then before, but loot filters crash the game (even with empty clipboard). If someone has a solution, let me know

Thatā€™s crazy. What is your RAM? Iā€™m on M3 and even Very low 1512x982 I have fps drops and game stutters after 1-2h