Last Epoch balance fixes is a joke

Balance fixes is a joke… Devs arent number 1 to blame here… its us

It has allways been the case regardless of the matter.
“IF ITS BROKEN YOU FIX IT”
Up until this day and age where that no longer is because we must accommodate the ever growing snowflake masses, we all know the uproar devs will face if they dont accommodate theese precious starlights as first priority or else… incomming uproar.

Think about it for a second…are we this far gone, and so used to newer times that we no longer realise how absurd it is that devs even gotta ask us if they can fix their game through a survey.

Point click snipe T4 Julra isnt intended. Neither is 20-40k ward face tanking whatever.
DEVS man up and do whats right.

7 Likes

Wildly different content than I expected from the title.

Anyway, I agree it’s silly to poll the community on whether or not bugs should be fixed. “Should bugs be fixed?” is not a subjective question, it has a correct answer, and the answer is “Yes”. I don’t think the community should get input on that just because it affects balance or may make people who invested in obviously broken bullshit salty that they can’t abuse it anymore.

That being said, I also think that this would not be as good a game if EHG were the kind of people who didn’t want to get that input from its community. A lot of the things that I appreciate about LE are things that were clearly born of playing and loving games like this, and wanting to solve pain points that they’ve experienced in other games. So I see it as a kind of double edged sword with one side that’s mostly dull.

They obviously care a lot about our experience with their game and we’re getting a better game because of it. If the only price we pay for that is sometimes having to listen to a bunch of whiners stamp their feet about broken builds being fixed, that’s a pretty good deal.

12 Likes

Well its the age of easy access and the internet. No longer are devs required to heavily invest in QA and test games for long periods of time. The players are now the testers. Which seems to be working for most devs. Problem occurs when you enter 1.0 your " STABLE RELEASE " and its still a buggy mess. People are less likely to forgive you for this. It seems that they might have been running low on funding and needed another campaign to get there. Not looking great. But hopefully I am 100% incorrect.

1 Like

It’s one of my favorite things when modern gamers talk like games being buggy is some new outrageous thing that never happened before the internet.

1 Like

It wasn’t whether bugs should be fixed, it was when should bugs be fixed. I’d have thought that was rather obvious given the questions…

Which is why that wasn’t what they asked. “Should bugs be fixed … mid-season?” The bit you missed out is rather important, as well you know. You don’t normally miss details like that.

They did.

2 Likes

They’re right to be outraged.

Defenders of EHG on here continue to exclude a lot of context when replying to people. Many of them are using bad faith arguments to try and “Win” The discussion and remind you that EHG is a small indie company so please understand.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s because many players are enjoying the game despite the bugs and other problems that rise. And because they like the (honestly, quite refreshing and rare these days) way EHG communicates with the players constantly.
Sure, there are bugs, there are balance issues. There are even things some players don’t really like, such as picking up shards. And yet despite that, the game is still a lot of fun. And many of the proposals would probably cut on that fun.

Besides, no game EVER was released without bugs. All games had patches to fix stuff. Or remained buggy to this day. Some games even had to be community patched (like VtM:Bloodlines) to be playable.
And in live service games, no game EVER got rid of all the bugs. Because it’s impossible. So if a company if honest and upfront about their product they get a lot more leniency from their playerbase than Blizzard big arrogant studios do.

3 Likes

Ah okay I guess people upset with buggy shit don’t exist.

I didn’t miss it, I ignored it because it’s irrelevant. The correct answer is “Yes”.

Is it appropriate to fix a bug in the middle of a season? → Yes.

Is it appropriate to fix a bug at the beginning of a season? → Yes.

Is it appropriate to fix a bug at the end of a season? → Yes.

Is it appropriate to fix a bug between seasons? → Yes.

The correct answer is agnostic to the timing of the fix.

My answer was in regards to saying how many people in these forums jump to EHG’s defense. Which they do because of EHG’s policy regarding the community.

Lots of people get upset with buggy shit… these days. Which is the point @BroncoCollider was making. Not too many years ago, people wouldn’t become upset. They either played it or they didn’t. Everyone was aware bugs existed and, in fact, many bugs became requested features and some even became whole genres, like DMC’s air combos.

It’s mostly with the ease of internet access and widespread use of forums that most of the toxicity started, because the anonimity inherent in the internet means they can just announce to the world that they don’t like every little thing in pretty much anything.

4 Likes

Sorry thats just false, there were tons of buggy f-ing games before the age of internet gaming came around, and you know what? people were rightly pissed.

1 Like

How would you know? You clearly aren’t old enough to have even been alive before the internet existed.

I was there, and if people threw the level of shitfitting that happens on today’s forums and review sites back then, games never would’ve survived to grow into the hundred billion dollar industry it is today.

2 Likes

K

I wanna present the case of ‘Gothic 3’
Which is an old-school game. 18 years now since it came out.
It was right before the cusp of when online gaming became more normative.

It got demolished for having bugs which nowadays nobody would even bat an eye… like a display issue with a stone happening, NPCs acting badly and not doing what they’re supposed to (norm in The Forest and Sons of the Forest nowadays) and much more. It got utterly dismantled and was called a fun base game which is atrociously made.

So nah… it wasn’t the norm to release things in such a state, but also games weren’t as complex back then. On the other hand some of those bugs which persistently are in the game since years are things that should’ve been solved since a while, never addressed and put back for other things. Their priorities aren’t properly aligned to provide proper bugfixing at the right time for a release, in Beta it could be excused still.

And also…

Exactly that.
Was the case, people had a right to complain.
Is the case, people have still a right to complain.

Nothing changed but now we got people excusing all sorts of messed up things since it became the norm.

No, it shouldn’t be excused.

2 Likes

You mean a game that was released when the internet access was exploding and forums were a proliferating trend? Yeah, real old-school.
We’re talking about games in the 90s, before the internet created a place for everyone to complain about every little thing. Diablo 1, Final Fantasy, Half-Life, whichever Zelda was around back then, Quake and Doom, Fallout 1 & 2, etc. Those are the old school games. You either liked them and played them or you didn’t.

The main difference is that back then people only complained if the issue was serious. If your game wouldn’t boot, if it kept crashing, etc. Because it was a huge hassle to contact the game developers and get your issue fixed. Whereas today, since it’s easy to just create a new thread (including repeated ones), people just complain that one of the pixels is sort of faded.

No one’s saying people don’t have a right to complain. Just that some of the complaints aren’t warranted and no one would have cared about them back then.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound grumpy. That’s because I just woke up and really am feeling grumpy :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Well, there was that one war fought over the chess bug where the knight doesn’t go straight, but that ended in a draw, and they never fixed it.

:roll_eyes:

Ok, thank you for your feedback…

You know real life isn’t quite as black & white don’t you?

He’s not wrong though. We generally didn’t loose our shit quite as vocally at bugs back in the day. That said, games were also significantly less complicated as well so probably had less bugs.

Yeah, you’d have to either phone their helpline (if they had one), or write to them. Possibly on paper.

Bug fixes are definitely a priority to fix, Not working as intended is a bug fix. Asking community to poll for bug fixes is definitely laughable. Over powered and buffs are not bug fixes but rather balances. Totally different things.

If you can balance something without disturbing too much of the game like ruining a whole class or wasting too much time and resources, then pls do balance it. Otherwise, don’t do it mid season.

It’s also pretty common to do huge nerfs and buffs throughout seasons and such as a way to help keep the meta and game fresh along always, with new content.

A man screams and rages about an issue in the game.
Another man calmly expresses an issue in the game.

Which man is wrong? Why?