Last Epoch balance fixes is a joke

Fixing bugs is one thing, but balance changes in the middle of a cycle/season/league is a huge mistake. So is giving anonymous users with god knows what experience in gaming an opportunity to control the decision making in your game, giving them a very simple voting mechanism via poll and then obeying whatever was voted there.

More than half of the people who voted just saw the word ‘bug’ and assumed it is something extremely bad that had to be priority fixed asap so they clicked ‘yes kill that asap’ without any context or care in the world if that would hurt other people or hurt the game.

I sincerely hope devs change this questionable way of balance changes during the cycle otherwise i personally wouldn’t be comfortable playing a game that can delete my build and all the effort i put into it after a week or two of me playing. There is no competition in last epoch and by killing the character people spent alot of time and effort on mid cycle you effectively tell them ‘we don’t care about you, go away or never play a strong build again’.

That is understandable that in arpg something will always be overpowered, but you fix that BETWEEN the cycles, NOT DURING.

1 Like

I agree in messing with a build mid cycle to balance/nerf it is terrible thing to do but I think you are overexaggerating to say that they killed your character.

Assuming you are talking about exploding ballista, it got nerfed hard but definitely still playable, the damage is the same. It needs partying sooner than later so the class went downhill by a lot in terms of ranking in place of builds. It does suck hard that users have spent all their time and invested all their funds to to minmax something and dominate for it to be ruined.

People need to understand that there will always be something thats meta and overpowered than others or super lacking but you DO NOT mess with that mid cycle. Bug fixes, yes, immediate fix.

I didn’t say that they killed my character, i said that i am not feeling comfortable they won’t do that in the future because they clearly did kill warlocks and falconers in the middle of this cycle, those builds are dead-dead, butchered completely. How do i know if something else isn’t ‘bugged’ in the build i choose in the future, ill play for a week and have some fun and they will just then kill it ?.

I can’t know this, that’s why im not comfortable spending my time in this game knowing that i can lose progress so fast because some anonymous players wanted to have fun and voted to nerf something that im in the middle of playing.

I would understand nerfing something in the middle of cycle/season/league if that was a competitive game with rankings and prizes, where me winning and using something op would mean another person is losing because of it. But no, LE is not a competitive game, if some guy is playing an op build that has ZERO repercussions for me. If that is the case, why should i be able to stop him from having fun and vote to nuke his build ? that doesn’t even sound right.

1 Like

Not yet Steam times, no patches happening automatically, you had to seek those actively to make it happen.
So yes, old-school game.

And yes, if you go further back that was even more the case, which highlights especially that functional released games were the mandatory norm or they failed.
I took the example because information exchange in the 90s was nigh non-existent in comparison for games, hence with that opening up without digital distribution channels but digital information channels already in place highlighted the necessity of a solid released product.

Only since digital distribution became the norm have companies gone over to make it the norm to bug-fix ‘whenever’ rather then having it the absolute main priority for any release since you couldn’t go back and to it later.

Yes, with that the people complaining about miniscule things - or ridiculous ones - have gotten a voice though, hence that’s the side effect. Which makes it a necessity to sort it out mentally.
As long as it’s miniscule and not a nonsensical notion it’s exactly as viable as a big gripe.

Prime example… with Gothic 3 the complaint was flickering textures at time. Miniscule issue, but got a major complaint as well.

1 Like

Yes fix bugs that break the game and do exponential damage numbers.
Is it a bug that does something quirky and unexpected? don’t fix it. Make it a feature if you want.

But in general, yeah fix the massively over preforming bug. You also have to consider server stability with certain skills start doing unintentional things. Its not black and white.

Not sure what does that have to do with anything that i just said.
None of the changes to those builds had anything to do with damage numbers, they deal the same damage as they were doing before.

yeah fix the massively over preforming bug

not sure what’s that, but if you mean changing the balance - there is a reason all other arpg’s do that between seasons, not in the middle.

From what I understand ballista was hitting across the entire map or something.
And you could also have read the survey which specifically asked if they should fix overperforming skills if they were bugged / not bugged. which is what my point was about.

Yes and those ARPG’s have been out for years already. The state this game is in might aswell be early beta. They call it 1.0 but it certainly doesn’t feel that way. So much stuff is incorrect / bugged . So honestly they should have just kept fixing all the skills in this time period. The good will of the audience is not infinite.

You said “deleted” your build so I was thinking you were implying nerfed to the point of unplayable, which is way different from heavily nerfing and losing all of its fun factor. They did ruin the build and the fun factor which is so sad and wrong.

Even a competitive game with rankings, they should not do this mid season. It’s not a bug just meta and op which there will always be something way OP compared to others. You cannot say those builds are dead but they definitely got messed with so hard that they took all the fun out of it, took the effectiveness of the build from top to bottom tier.

Just not right for players such as you that has all in focused on that 1 character. It was a fun style and build, I hope there is a way to make it back. I wouldn’t mind scaling down and sacrificing dmg to get back a full screen bomb and farming lower corruptions.

I agree, changing balance in the middle of season was a big mistake. Especially since that was the first cycle/season in this game and for vast majority of players from other games this was their first impression of the game.

And what did those players see - devs that left balancing up to anonymous users on reddit, and the game where all the time they put into making a strong character can be nullified simply because apparently it was overperforming.

In all arpgs there are always overperforming builds, the trick is to tune them after the season/cycle/league ends, not during the time when the players are enjoying playing them.

1 Like

People should realy play Hero Siege. The devs over there don’t care at all and leave stuff in season that is so stupidly broken that I’m at a loss of words ^^.

The funny thing to me is that the devs even asked if they are allowed to fix bugs at whatever point in the season. Communication is well and fine and I like it but this leaves me with the impression that there are cases when they are fine to leave the game buged :slight_smile: .

Quite funny that your name is ‘Irrelevant’ as i was about to tell that what you just said is irrelevant to the discussion. Why should we play ‘hero siege’ and take notes from that game that has nothing to do with LE or arpgs in general?.
Why instead not take notes from direct competitors and other games in the genre of arpg? poe, diablo2, torchlight, diablo4 etc.

It is not a question of good or bad communication, decisions like mid cycle balance should not be a laughing matter of anonymous polls on forum/reddit. Nuking someone’s build in the middle of cycle is telling those people that they and their time don’t matter.

Balance and fixes are two different things. No one is saying to leave it be, just it shouldn’t be done mid cycle. There will always be one over the other that is super overly overpowered and “broken”.

1 Like

Because people get what they want. A game that is kept intentionaly buged and if people like that there you go.

PoE fix bugs, D2 fix bugs, TL fixed bugs, D4 fixed bugs and balanced their game and people went totaly craycray. So far HS is the only H&S, even if it’s 2D, that offers what many people want: Cycles full of bugs and noone who cares about fixing.

BUGS should never be kept intentionly in any game from my point of view. That’s no nerf and no balancing it’s keping unintended stuff out of the game. If you realy want a buged game there are plenty out there for anyone who likes to play obviously buged builds.

My falconer is still the strongest of all my characters. And i don’t even use any op build but my own caltrops/umbral blade hybrid.

No one “killed” Falconers and my Warlock is doing fine so far.

But, i think changing classes mid cycle is not necessary. OP builds don’t hurt anyone. My Forge Guard will not play better because some Falconer or Warlock builds are nerfed.

1 Like

The amount of PC games I had issues/unplayable as a child was endless to the point I just played consoles until I exited my teens and got my own PC. If you couldnt fix it via the FAQ in the manuals you were done, you couldnt send a letter because it tooks weeks or call anyone as there was no support

I remember specifically not being able to play FIFA95 on my parents PC and had to take it to a fkn shop for a few days for them to create a boot disk to even get it to run, then I realised years later the only reason all that happened was my Dad wanted to play it

1 Like

“IF ITS BROKEN YOU FIX IT”. No, the world is not black and white. This is not a application, this is a game. All changes in game behavior affects players. In good or bad way and devs must know. Well, if you don’t want people play your game, just fix everything like you want and nvm the consequences. And one more thing: bugs and balance abuse is what make games fun to play too. Game bugs are fun, business app bugs are not.

Btw, there are plenty of games where founded bugs stayed in game all life and thats ok too.

3 Likes

You’ve got to be joking.

Nope, thats common practice. You may not even be aware of it while playing the game.

For example: creepers in minecraft is a bug, rocket jump in quake 3 and more others.

And by TS logic that should be fixed right mew. Fix rocket jump in q3? Are you even sane?

As long as they only affect yourself and are wonky rather then highly detrimental.

Since it affects others and most of them aren’t quite ‘wonky’ but rather just frustrating it means that reasoning doesn’t apply to LE in most cases.

But, it doesn’t break the game. It just hurts your feelings because someone has a higher number than you on an inconsequential ranking system in a video game.

The game breaking bugs, you are crying about have done nothing to inhibit my enjoyment of the 3 or 4 builds I have been playing. And, I guess I’ll attribute that to not checking the ladder every 5 minutes, in order to determine my self-worth.

This whole hyperbole surrounding a couple bugs, that make a few skills/builds more powerful than intended, is doing nothing to alleviate the situation. I would argue it does the opposite, because it just begins to sound like the typical internet ranting.

Game crashes, connectivity issues, random rollbacks, lost data, latency, ITEM DUPINGthose are game breaking. The others are just ego bruising.

2 Likes