Lagon is too difficult + no WP at encounter

Problem with minion AI, in my opinion, is that there should be a few archetype of AI for minion, like you have in RPG.
You should be able to choose the behaviour of your minion between at least 2 passive or aggro.
It bothers me everytime when i want to race a level that my minion spread everywhere aggroing every ennemy possible even if I don’t want to and making it a non-neglectable time loss.
Sorry for the disgression !

Absolutely the AI & general control over your pets needs to be improved.

Lagon isn’t even half bad, especially comparing to nonsensefest at “you know which” game we all seem to have played. He’s kinda logical and predictable don’t have 30 attacks and phases you need to remember and you don’t need godly reflexes and fingertwitch to fight him.

Rahyeh, on the other hand… What exactly devs thought when they decided to implement boss which is way way way too fast to dodge with the rather unresponsive controls in this game?

It really depends on the build. I think I had a random Beastmaster pet build the first time and made it through. But after that every single build, even the guide builds, I couldn’t kill Lagon. So now I typically give it a try, if it’s bad I just move on to Monolith, level to 60ish and try it again.

Lagon fight seems like a gear check. You need a good amount of HP and decent resists. I wouldn’t say you need full glancing at all, i never do it with glancing. Just having 500 hp + and around 60% cold resist should be fine.

Mechanically the fight needs little more tweaks. My only complaints about the fight is add phase is little frustrating because the waves move fast/hard to dodge unless your already moving. I found you really need a build that constantly moves in a circle during that phase and attack things as you go. Range builds and attack skills you don’t have to stand still for more than a couple seconds feel so much easier. I will also mention that the pathing during the boss fight is still awkward as hell. It’s easy for your character to get stuck and not go to the location you are clicking which can lead you to walk into a slam. I am hoping in the future the pathing in general within the game will be updated to be smoother and more reliable.

1 Like

I was struggling with 700+ hp and 60% resist. I basically was not allowed to use my spriggan form at all during the add phase of this fight. The minion damage from totems wasn’t leeching to sustain me and vale blast just didn’t cut it both for mowing down the adds and leeching to sustain me. I HAD to just stay in caster form and spam tempest strike (basically getting AOE leech). It felt very targeted towards a certain playstyle.

I find that surprising, I had 500~ hp and 60% cold resist and I one shot it with no problem. Anything lower than that I was being 1 shot. If i was able to survive one hit you would be fine. Could be the build possibly then.

Sorry I was being one shot before I upgraded my resists in OP. I crafted better gear but still had to play a certain way to make it work. That’s what I’m communicating. It’s way more than a gear check in practice. Even if that’s the intention.

I mean yeah, you still need to be able to do the mechanics.

There should be some fungibility in builds. I don’t think that a spriggan form thorn totem/vale blast build should not be able to pass. It’s not like it’s intending to suck. GG tempest strike spam instead.

I guess it depends on your playstyle. I tried a dozen times and it seems pretty impossible with my current build (necro pet build). Damage output is a non-issue, but the second phase with the constant wave battering AND the f-ing sharks chasing you is pretty much a recipe for being one shot. Tried about 10 times bofer rage quitting for the day… Never had any issues in the first phase. But the waves combined with annoying adds are too much. -.-"

I like the fight overall. I didn’t mind that the waves did a lot of damage, so much as the fact that they seemed to sweep in randomly from multiple directions at once at high speed. I would like to feel like I have a chance to avoid them while fighting the sharks instead of relying on mostly luck to dodge them; pattern that I could learn. I could see this fight being a pain for pet builds, as minions won’t know to move out of harm’s way.

Four points here in summary of the above inho…

1. This is 100% a gear and level checkpoint in the game. I bet the Devs also made him harder as he is currently the temporary endgame boss until more content comes. I died a few times to him the first time I met him. Went and did a few extra levels and farmed some gear and he was so easy I wondered how I died the first time around.

2. Bugs. Yes, some of the bugs affect the fight negatively for the player… These need fixing

3. Character balancing… Yes, certain chars have more difficulty than others - this is a balancing issue that the devs are going to take quite some time to figure out.

4. Playstyle… Yes, if you don’t figure out the mechanics of a particular mob/boss you are going to get one-shot… Its the nature of ARPGs. If you want to stand toe-to-toe with a boss that hits with crits higher than your health pool, then maybe you need to go back to the drawing room and redesign your char or get a bigger shield. If not, then learn to kite…

That right there is what I have issue with. The boss fight forces you to move around, (there is no single spot you can stand without moving and without dying), which, as you say, forces you to adapt one single playstyle for that fight. This kind of boss-mechanics favour DOT or ranged builds, and completely go against the mechanics of a melee, or channeling skills-based builds. If you choose a class and a build, that does not allow you to move and deal damage at the same time, than you hear people telling you to ‘git good’, ‘learn to kite’ and the like.

Is it fair if a game has classes, skills and equipment that support certain playstyle, and subsequently throws content at you that is unfairly unbalanced against said playstyle? You tell me.

1 Like

No it isn’t. The only ARPG that does this is PoE, and it’s playerbase has been complaining for years that it’s become a game of “Dodge the One-shot”. Every other ARPG I’ve played has allowed melee classes the capability of taking at least one of the big hits without dying. If you can’t stay up close for at least 80%+ of a fight with a character that’s designed for hand-to-hand combat, that’s a failure of game design.

2 Likes

It’s not a gear/level check, it’s a skill check. If you can stay out of his AoE’s (the big moon AoE, the eye beam & to a lesser extent his claw hits which can stun you) you’ll be fine. Gear does help with Campaign Lagon as you discovered, which is good, but if you’re skilled enough to not get hit by his telegraphed attacks, you won’t need it (and I say that as someone that repeatedly dies to the monolith Lagon despite knowing what’s happening & how to avoid it). The second phase is a bit different since it’s a pretty chaotic melee with the adds, tentacles and waves.

In that specific example, you should get 100% crit avoidance then you can’t be crit. But yes, generally the big hits that you need to avoid/kite are telegraphed.

There are a few good videos going over the Monolith bosses (& Campaign Lagon is just the Monolith Lagon with smaller numbers).
Heavy, Boardman, McFluffin (though he’s not got to Lagon yet).

1 Like

IF it’s the 1st time you deal with him, then yes, you will die, alot.
You have to get decent gear in any boss fight.

I’m indifferent with one-shot mechanic as I’m used to it in PoE.

Still, a waypoint is NEEDED. That is a 2 boss fights back to back, some crashes will ruin your day. I got bugged out of the Lagoon area and have to fight the architect again 1 time.

3 Likes

Hi.
I think Lagoon is in a good place.
A combination of a little bit of skill/kite/awareness of what he do…
+
…roundabout 2K EHP (something like 2000 Life/Protections/Ward or
1000 Life/Protections/Ward AND 100% Glancing Blow) and your’re fine.

And to get 1000 + GB is’n that hard to get early on.

On contrast I would vote for another advanced/harder difficulty level ala “torment” on Diablo 3.

1 Like

Well, considering that the balancing for the characters is nowhere near finalised, I’d say that right now it is definitely more difficult for certain chars… If this were a launched more complete game then that would be definitely unfair.

BTW. I beat him with a Void Knight melee. Basically spammed Rive and moved whenever he did his lazer & moon attacks… Once I had geared up my resists/protection more I was able to take his one-shot attacks without much trouble.

Bit harsh saying its a failure of game design… .its not finished and the devs have admitted they have much more tweaking to do.

I do not agree with not learning boss mechanics or not having bosses that have one-shot capabilities - its a great part of ARPGs for me - bosses should be a challenge and yes, its frustrating to get one shot just as you have gotten him down to 20% health but this just makes me go do some farming, gear up maybe respec a point of two of the build and try again…

BTW, for Lagon I played Void Knight melee and was able to easily do Lagon when i had improved my gear setup - I just spammed Rive, moved when he did his lazer thing and spammed Rive again… He hit me once or twice with his big guns when I was not concentrating but it was not a problem. He definitely kicked my arse first time around, but I attribute that to me getting through the content pretty quickly and not having the right gear (and maybe level) by the time I faced him.

Just out of interest, the monolith bosses in the special Quest Echos, have the same issue… I one shot all mobs and most rares and then the first time I experience a new echo boss I get my arse handed to me until I figure out its mechanic and what gear I need… Then its plain sailing…