L340-15API laptop - will it be able to run LE eventually?

Good day to you!

Lenovo IdeaPad L340-15API - I know that this one is not entirely viable for gaming. But I’m compelled to ask:

• if it would be able to run Last Epoch on minimals now
  • if not - if it would be able to run LE eventually?

systemrequirementslab’s detection gizmo verified that this particular rig MAY run it on minimals now. But my gut feeling tells that it’s better to ask prior to purchase…

DxDiag included.
DxDiag.txt (92.5 KB)

Hey…

Based on the info I could find online, even the top end spec of this laptop barely makes the minimum spec required for the game…

The processor is probably just barely ok, but the main problem here is the Vega graphics iGPU… It is probably less than a 1/3 of the performance of the MINIMUM needed for LE.

I dont work for EHG so I cannot confirm anything officially but my gut feeling is that LE might load, but it definitely isnt going to be worth playing it on this spec system. You would probably get single digit frame rates.

With some fiddling with drivers and with some help from my friends, which gave LE a spin on my rig, I can confirm that:

1. On pure (read: right from the shop’s shelf but with latest OS updates downloaded) rig the game can’t be launched due some weird conflict between Unity itself and rig’s drivers.

2. After some chanting and some fiddling, LE started working at lowestmost preset, at about 20 FPS with 1920*1080 resolution (which is kinda fine since it’s Beta, yes?) Starter locations are completely fine. I can probably eke ~10 more FPS by using laptop’s native resolution. And maybe some boot.config and/or drivers fiddling.

RAM usage is plausible and GPU was not completely destroyed (61 Celsius degree).

So the only remaining question is, will the lower bar be put slightly more lower…

You are a much more patient person than I am… or you REALLY want to play LE… I do not play games at 20fps… thats less than the framerate of a normal HD movie and is beyond my ability to accept - no matter how much I want to play a game.

Lowering the resolution to 1366x768 would likely make a big difference on the absolute lowest settings and I would personally not even try 1080p on a Vega iGPU.

Your iGPU is not intended as a gaming capable GPU (at least not for more than solitare or pinball) and its drivers are unlikely to be as capable in advanced 3d/DirectX applications like games.

Once optimisation happens you may get better performance on the absolute lowest settings with this hardware (definitely not intended for gaming) but to expect the devs to lower the minimum requirements for a game vs optimising for a better experience with exsiting requirements is a little off imho.

Some of the hardware listed as the minimum is already almost a decade old (the 660 Ti GPU for instance)… Especting the devs to lower this requirement to even older hardware / performance levels is imho unfair.

Well, I wrestled Fallout 76 into working with GTX960 (which is still quite below its minimal requirements) at 30+ FPS some time ago. Since I’m not FPS75+ conoisseur (not with my eyesight, lol, I won’t be able to tell the difference ever) - 20-30 FPS is quite bearable for me.

As our MtG judge used to say, ‘we had 11mm bolt, 10mm nut and iron will.’
I still believe that most of the resource consumption overhead is being imposed by Unity itself rather than by Developers’ Will.
And that by default Unity uses too much junk - which could be scrapped for the sake of better visuals for high-end computers, for the sake of performance for low-end… for the possibility to actually play at all for us, lowballers.

I also believe that the Developers won’t forfeit whole low-end hardware gaming niche to DIII. . .

20-30 bearable for you… Ok… not for me tho - I play virtually every game on lower settings to ensure as close to 60fps average as possible as I tend to notice display flickering, screen tearing etc… its my trigger point.

Unity overhead - 100% agree
Unity too much junk - 100% agree

Problem is that the game would take much longer if the devs didnt use a game engine… and they are also beholden to the game engines requirements and each feature of the game engine has higher requirements. And players demand features & visual effects etc that match those of competing gaming products and take advantage of advancements in gaming technology & hardware… Its a vicious circle that has to leave casualties somewhere.

“Lowballers” well… I use a system that is almost 6 years old now and its pretty much the recommended spec for LE… but its a gaming machine with components specifically chosen for gaming.

Where you and I differ on this point is that you are expecting a 1) a laptop and 2) a machine not even vaguely intended for gaming to be considered as a minimum requirement for gaming…

Anyway… I dont work for EHG but I dont think its in their interest to lower the minimum requirements that are already on a par with performance from decade old hardware…

Well, it was unfortunate.
I awaited for 0.8.3 .
Bought the game at Steam.
Installed.
And got… ahem… got what Rick got in that dumb joke.
Infinite loadscreen, that’s what I got. Nothing criminal in logs.
Threw BePiNex + few profiling plugins into the mix. BePinEx failed to load: the hangup occured way before it had any chance to inject and load anything.
Well, now you got my full attention…
Sitting with AMDuProf profiler currently. 8 minutes of staring at loadscreen passed. Hopefully, resulting log will give a hint on what to look for next.
sigh
I miss old times when if your rig lacked anything, the game told you explicitly what you were lacking.

Upd.
Looks like the game is unable to finish precompiling its code and just hauls data around with no viable progress. Well, ticket time, I guess…

Dude… Why even post this…

Your laptop does not even make the minimum requirements for playing this game…yet you insist on trying to make it work. You are banging your head against a wall for no logical reason… I dont know how to get this across to you…

Its like driving a Volkwagen Bug in a F1 race… and its not Herbie

Just get a gaming machine - or at least something intended to game on.

Earth to Skies! Earth to Skies!
Extra intel as requested: it never occupied more than 5% of my CPU power and more than 20% of GPU power this time, so the statement about no logical reason is premature.
Over!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.