Kill Streaks

Just Curious, Has Kill streaks every been discussed? Couldnt find anything on the forums. If not:

Kill streaks should be implemented into the game or another system like Nephalem Glory from D3.
WHile the bonus doesnt have to be the same as other ARPGS (extra exp multiplier) a kill streak would be awesome if hitting certain thresholds gave durations and random buffs to your character. Just some examples

5-15 KS - 60 Seconds of 25% increased damage (Random element) (stackable)
16-30 KS - 60 Seconds random buff (Haste/Frenzy) (another KS resets duration)
31-45 KS - 60 Seconds of Enrage (another KS resets duration)
46-60 KS - 60 Seconds of 25% DR from all sources
61+ KS - 60 Seconds of any of the above buffs at random

Obviously all those subject to changes for power balance issues.

The idea here is you get your kill streak buffs before reaching the bosses at the end of an echo and base your kill streaks according to what benefits your build

Ideas, thoughts?

My opposition to kill streaks is that it shifts the metagame towards the zoom zoom playstyle. How do we incorporate kill streaks while ensuring ā€œslowā€ tactical combat is still relevant?

4 Likes

Simply by increasing the duration of how long a kill streak last inbetween kills so you dont have to go zoom zoom. Make it more about aiming for specific streaks to buff your character than just trying to get the highest number as fast as possible.

1 Like

But the relevance of kill streaks is always to create tension of trying to keep the streak alive with a tight kill time between mobs. If we are able to kill monsters at a ā€œleisurely slowā€ pace, would a kill streak still be a relevant mechanic?

Just because thats what its always been doesnt mean you cant change it.

I dont want fast paced tension for an exp boost

I want a slower paced strategically kill streak that can make getting unique temporary buffs interesting.

Im sure it can be perfected into something fun and interactive.

Generally donā€™t want kill streaks that grant combat buffs.

1. The genre already favors builds that have large AoE attacks. Thisā€™ll push things further in that direction.

2. If Iā€™m aiming for a specific buff, I donā€™t want to have to count mobs to see if Iā€™m getting 45 kills or 46 kills.

3. Donā€™t want the devs to balance encounters around the existence of these buffs. If the expectation is players have it, then playersā€™ll be forced to go out of their way to get them.

4. Kill streaks donā€™t account for how tough a mob is. Horde of those tiny spiders = free kill streak. Turns the kill streak mechanic into something thatā€™s dependent on mob type and density RNG.

5. Think the kind of strategic kill streak gameplay that youā€™re going for might be better suited as passives or skill nodes. Would be more tailored and balanced for the class/skill in question.

6. If buffs are something youā€™re supposed to be able to aim for, think it needlessly punishes aura type builds (poison lich) or builds that drop AoE pools.

3 Likes

Kill Streaks are kind of bad to me. Most arpgs are already centered arround the aoe bomb playstyle and for me itā€™s a bad thing to push that agenda even further. On top of it think about the Arenaā€¦ what a joke to get a big killstreak each waveā€¦ thatā€™s a bit strange. Then again if you can kite enemys to a boss said boss is easier because you can use the buffs from the killstreak.
I think you can push this further for the positives and the negatives of kill streaks but Iā€™m no fan of itā€¦ even for XP modifieres.

How about a variation to the traditional streakā€¦ lets call it a ā€œKill Count Bonusā€ ratherā€¦

incentivises clearing 90%+ of mobs in a MoF before facing the end boss or destroying the last towerā€¦ etcā€¦

perhaps this is then linked to the next MoF run? i.e. full clear of a previous Mof gives you a higher chance of an Mof Event or a positive boost for the next run?

No timer between kills, just killing a total number of mobs gives a bonusā€¦ Could even overlap - i.e. unless you logout, each Mof mob kill ticks the counter so you could run 20 mofs zoom zoom style or 2 mofs with full clear to get some sort of bonusā€¦

This would then address the negative zoom zoom concern but still incentivise killing more mobs (i.e. taking a Mof slower)ā€¦

and the bonus could be tiered for even more postive effectsā€¦ Starts off simply like increased damage or defence and then perhaps get even more creative ones like, a one time auto revive in a Mof or allow you to clear a negative Mof affix without losing the +xp+drop bonus or even open a timegate to the cow levelā€¦

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

There is already an incentive to kill mroe mobs within an echo.

It gives you more loot in the end chest.

I donā€™t want clearing mobs be tied to direct characterpower in anyway.

I am also strongly against any form of kill streak, with or without timers between kills.

1 Like

I like the idea of kill streak rewards, but only if theyā€™re not game changing. If the main objective becomes maintaining a streak in order to detonate at a moment, I donā€™t like it. But I guess a small advantage could be welcome. I donā€™t know which, though. A movement speed buff would be nice, but it would become a huge buff for Warpath heroes.

I do like it when a positive option is added instead of just saying nah dont like it :slight_smile:
This is actually an much better approach

While perhaps i agree with post made before about how BUFFS shouldnt be added even though i disagree with

Because these temporary buffs would be no where near that as powerful of blessings and the game is not balanced around you having to have those soā€¦

But back to

The bonus could be even more out of the norm such as more gold % drop.

Well that pretty much kills off the entire ARPG genre.

I was replying to @vapourfire and his idea of giving character power tied to clearing a certain amount of mobs within a given echo.

Killing mobs/clearing should always be something that has player choice involed.

ā€œDo i kill more mobs for more potential loot?ā€
ā€œOr do i quickly clear echoes for get faster blessings/boss specific lootā€

Giving characater power to ā€œclearā€, would make not clearing feel bad. Which should not be that mandatory.

Honestlyā€¦ I have found that this is not much of an incentiveā€¦ the chest at the end is very meh to meā€¦ and I have tested this plenty of timesā€¦ Drops in the Mof always seem far better to me than the drops from the chest - especially on boss Mof runs (not end of Mof bosses)

Sureā€¦ I am also not keen on changing character power - hence the more creative suggestions like cow levelsā€¦

Sureā€¦ as Heavy mentionsā€¦ after a little extra thought, I tend to agree with something that is not a buff to the character specifically but some other benefitā€¦

Yipā€¦ something beneficial but not a normal player bonus already addressed by something else in the gameā€¦

On low echo count i would agree, that the difference does not feel very noticable, but as soon as you are in echo 15,20,25+ clearing alot vs. clearing almost nothing is MASSIVE.

I am talking about chests that literally needs 5-6 seconds to drop all itā€™s content.
This really feels super rewarding, as itā€™s a LOOTSPLOSION

Little off topicā€¦ Sureā€¦ I have experienced the LOOTSPLSIONā€¦ and yes, there is plenty more loot from the chest at higher Mof levels (not sure what count, but lets say over 200% bonus levels) if you clear but unfortunately, for me at least, the loot tends to be lots of junk compared to the drops from mobs in the Mof itself.

I understand it should be the same quality as the Mof, and perhaps this is a factor of something else, but most of the time its not worth more than a few seconds to check loot filter highlighted items.

So your against shrines then?

Because this game has shrines which offer temporary buffs no different then what a kill streak could.

Is this game balanced around shrines?
Do shrines make you go Zoom Zoom playstle?

I mean i know your against kill streaks, but having the arguement:

Is just wrong. Shrines are not madatory and yet they can be powerful so why not kill streak buffs for those who want them?

I am not a particular fan of shrines yes.
I only like the ones that give gold, idols and increased experience.
Altough the idols shrine could need some more love.

But shrines are very different, since they offer a very temporary bonus over a given time.

Kill streaks, that run out are an absolute no-go for me, because itā€™s jsut artifically makes you want to go as fast as possible through the echo. I donā€™t want that.

If they would character power tied to the amount of mobs you cleared in the echo, that isnā€™t time based, that would be a little bit better, but still something i personally would not enjoy.
Especially if it would also affect the net echo/boss fight.

I just want exlorpation/clear to give indirect power in form of loot, exp, gold.

and while thats all fine and dandy,

I would like to see something in a last epoch version of diablo 3ā€™s Nephalem Glory so that not all echoes are just the same boring run through and some of them will spice things up.

Having a certain endgame mode, be more ā€œfast pacedā€ and rewarding fast/rush playstyles would be fine, as long as itā€™s just a certain game mode.

I never want LE to become a game, where itā€™s all about making the most fast paced build.
Making fast paced builds should be a player choice, not osmething the game dictates to the player.

So maybe we can have this discussion another time, when we have more endgame modes available.

But for the time being, i hope nothing close to this will make it into the game at this point.

Most aspects of this game already benefit players that have fast paced builds.

Want to farm bosses? well the fastest way is to speed run echoes with fast characters. Does this mean its MADATORY? No.

Dont want to be in arena all day? Get a higher DPS more zoom zoom build. Is this mandatory? No.

Nephalem Glory has nothing to do with making the game more fast paced AND it defintely wasnt MANDATORY.

It simply shakes things up and breaks up monotony. It was simply a short lived boost of power, slightly different than shrines since you could ā€œLevelā€ it up by getting more drops of it.

Thereā€™s been about 15 different suggestions and all of them interrated on, i do find it confusing why instead of saying this you wouldnt find it more appropriate to give a suggestion you would be more approving of in a suggestion thread.

Do you find the MoF Perfect as is no need for new suggestions to be made?