Javelin - New Sentinel Skill Coming in Sands of Majasa Update(0.8.3)

Time to give up on Shurikens. Sentinel life, here I come.

It’s an additional lightning ailment and will only be present on holy lightning themed skills and conversions, while regular lightning themed skills will still just utilise shock.

3 Likes

Wonder what the mathematic best prefix will end up being as leveling up for prefixes on the weapon – two added melee damage rolls, or one melee damage roll and one lightning roll? Will it even be close at the endgame?

I’d probably hazard a guess and say two added damage prefixes unless you don’t have much % increased damage. Paladin is more likely to benefit more from flat as they get up to 100% increased lightning from being at full life (assuming you go lightning) as well as %phys/fire.

Oh man 2h whirlwind buffs plus you get a long range focus damage attack(most piercing attacks have a node that drops piercing/forking for super damage. So I’m just assuming it’s existence until shown otherwise)

If this can do high single target damage it’ll be wonderful. Just wirlyboy through all the trash, and melt the bosses from a distance. Beautiful.

1 Like

That is gonna be my first new character tomorrow. Ever since I saw javelin, I knew what I was gonna do haha

Mines either going to be that, or a build bases on hammer throws and javelin. Having another throwing damage source opened a lot of doors.

Where does the 100% lightning come from Paladin? Not seeing it in the tree anywhere.

How does added damage work with decimal numbers? Lets say implicit from a Sovnya is my only added melee damage. +88 x 0.2 = 17,6 added throwing damage?

New addition to Paladin mastery.

The Paladin mastery bonus now also increases lightning damage equal to your percent health remaining.

Ah missed that one, thank you!

Added damage can be a decimal. It works just like normal.

1 Like

The Divine Throws node says:

• Would “increased bleed effect” Sentinel affix from body armor now apply to Electrify on Javelin? Is this “increased bleed effect” basically just more damage over time?
  • Would the “Increased Physical Damage and Bleed Duration” on body armor now make electrify last longer (but not get a damage boost from physical)?

Would “increased bleed effect” Sentinel affix from body armor now apply to Electrify on Javelin?

It would not. The conversion just affects the chance.

Is this “increased bleed effect” basically just more damage over time?

Increased effect of an ailments multiplicatively modifies its damage and debuffs. In the case of bleed it’s just a multiplicative modifier to its damage. Multiple sources of increased effect are additive with each other, but they’re multiplicative with increased damage.

• Would the “Increased Physical Damage and Bleed Duration” on body armor now make electrify last longer (but not get a damage boost from physical)?

It would still have no effect on electrify. Generally when you convert an ailment or damage type in Last Epoch, none of the old modifiers will apply to it.

Got it – sounds like there are now gaps in itemization to enhance electrify for duration and effect (interesting for building lightning DoT vs. bleed or ignite if that can ever become viable). It is fun trying to see how high to push the electrify damage!

It was underwhelming on void knight unfortunately. I have high hopes for using it with forge guard and pally tho. First javelin build attempt dead ended for me pretty quickly, and there not being a polearm buff in the warpath tree, unlike every other 2h weapon, seems like a pretty noteworthy sacrifice.

Forge guard has been working well for me so far. But I’ve been extremely busy traveling for work, and haven’t gotten past level 40.

Been thinking about it though, and I think going a different route than my current build would likely be better. Bleed or ignite, instead of physical and minions. Gear is spread too thin to be good at what I’m doing, I think.

Also considered doing shield throw for mobs and javelin for single target. I dunno. I’ve got to think it through.

Haven’t seen it asked yet, here is a question.

If it doesn’t explicitly saw “throwing damage” is it straight added to javelins damage or is it affected by the 200% applied damage modifier? Specifically wondering about other sources of damage added to throwing attacks such as voidfused projectiles.

For example, 5/5 voidfused projectiles is 100 added void damage, is that treated as added throwing attack damage and is really 200?

For polearms, the description says that the converted damage is already treated as added throwing damage, so I guess if I had a polearm with 100 total melee damage, that would be 40 throwing damage for javelin?

All added damage except for the skill’s base damage (40 phys) is modified by the added damage effectiveness. This goes for all skills.

Yes to both.

Interesting skill so far… Still havent figured out the “best” build in either VK, Paladin or FG… Seems to be viable in that it works and you can do lvl 100 monos but it just doesnt “feel” as nice as the other builds… Got to spend a lot more time figuring it out…

but my main reason for posting is that I really like the Lunge node combination… It works really well as a playstyle and with the nerfs to lunge that make it a more focussed movement skill, the javelin lunge node is a really good way to have a movement “skill” without needing to spec one - although a spec’d lunge still has its perks…

I especially like how it syncs with Battlestandard … drop the battle standard in the middle of a pack and then lunge into them… seems like a nicely thought through skill node… that you can use even if you are not going the throwing route specifically.

The Smite proc for battle standard is also pretty good but its proving to be hard to get decent damage (the usual question of spec’ing spell vs throwing damage) - works really well as a healing proc when you are in the thick of things around your BS, especially when you spec into the frequency node…

One thing for battle standard is that its increased damage doesnt seem to hit hard enough… could just need me concentrating on the build/gear better but I was honestly expecting the limit of 1 javelin & the cooldown (and the previous required nodes extra mana) to make it a more obvious nice single target big hitter…