Is there a general indication on when we can hear about cycle 2?

Are you saying that there are 65 million people playing D3 on a regular basis these days?

Itā€™s not so much about which game you started on as to the type of player you are. Yes, the first ARPG can help define the type of player you are, but it doesnā€™t have to.
It mostly falls down to whether you like the ARPG grind or a more casual approach.

2 Likes

You can argue the same with LE. Most of those million copies sold were pre sales.

I think it was only a disappointment if you were a d2 fan or started in the d2 days. Like D3 was my first game in the genre. And I liked d3 a lot. I prefer the more casual approach in d4 over Poe and LE. I love d4. And I like last epoch too. Not a fan of Poe though

1 Like

No. There was an article in 2022 that blizz released saying over the ten years of d3 it had over 65 million players.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by this. Iā€™m not at all praising D4 but to say it doesnā€™t have any pros and think its absolutely garbage is overboard. I hate the game and love D2 so you can call be bias but iā€™d admit to things they did well and/or better.

PoE is definitely more D2 than D3/D4.

3 Likes

Anyway, whatever game you like, this business of announcing seasonal content a week or two ahead of release is the norm, and announcements a month or two ahead of time are an aberration, except in the case of a major expansion, which some companies (Blizzard) hope to charge big money for, and others (GGG,EHG) provide at no additional cost.

1 Like

You were saying that D4ā€™s fanbase is made of loyal players, mostly from D2. I disagree with that. Most D2 players left soon after D3 started and they probably tried D4 but left as well.

D4ā€™s loyal fanbase is mostly D3 players, I feel.

Nonono, a lot of players going into D4 were loyal franchise fans, mainly coming from D2, so the expectations were different vs the newer current gen of gamers.

As long as its a diablo franchise from blizzard coming out, diablo fans will test it out and if its in the realm of ARPG, will always compare it to mainly D2.

D4ā€™s fanbase now is definitely newer arpg and franchise fans then ever but they made it part of the franchise to market using the name, making lots of franchise lover fans try it with expectations (mainly live up to d2) .

Ah, I see what you mean. I misunderstood your post then. My bad.

However, I feel that at this point there is a large enough community of D3 players as well that also went to test D4. Both checked it out, only one left (D2 players) and the other stayed around (D3 players).

And, to be fair, D4 is a nice game for casuals, despite many flaws. I just donā€™t think Blizzard are ever going to get back the D2 players anymore.

2 Likes

All g, I mightā€™ve wrote it poorly too, usually happens a lot but thatā€™s cleared up.

Iā€™m still a believer, are you? I do believe that an expansion of some sort will eventually happen but not sure if we will be there to witness it, lol.

The easy way out would just be to buy the rights of a private server such as PD2 (check it out if you havent), and go from thereā€¦ They have done impressive work with what we shouldve had over the yearsā€¦

Cheers

1 Like

Not really. RoS made D3 better but it still aimed for casuals and D4 is following the same path. I doubt they will try to target the D2 community again, especially because of 2 things: 1- there is already a lot of competition out there for D2 players and barely any for D3 ones; and 2- D2 players are much more demanding. Casuals donā€™t make as much of a fuss over things.
It also doesnā€™t help that, as the genre evolved, D2 players are more demanding but each demands different thing by this point.

Yes, I love PD2. But Blizzard wonā€™t go that way. Iā€™m actually surprised they released D2R. But given their refusal to let D2R be modded other than offline, I donā€™t think they care enough any more.

2 Likes

A question about LE cycle 2 decsends into lets call D4/blizzard(even though its not blizzard anymore) names.

The lunatics truly run the asylum.

4 Likes

Blizzard has never ā€œallowedā€ any of their games to be modded.

They have specifically said that you could mod D2R offline. And they also allowed D2 to be modded, as long as it didnā€™t connect to their servers and didnā€™t change the binary files. Which is why they have provided access to other files that can be changed.
In fact, as far as Iā€™m aware they only forbid mods when you use B.Net.

EDIT: Actually, not even that, since they allow SOME mods on Starcraft and WOW.

Right?

Hahah i just been reading it all with popcorn.

Dunno how it escalated into a conversation about D4 and blizz so quickly.

1 Like

Not surprising when D4 is about to come out with a crazy patch, that has crafting updating almost identical to here.

I mean LE isnā€™t the first to have a crafting system with gear having a limited number of times it can be crafted onā€¦

Of course not but the timing, coincidence?

I think not. LE is the biggest competitor atm, not PoE, at least not to D4.

I dont think the season will end on end of february, i think the devs have heard how tedious and hard rep farming is on cycles so they will likely push back the cycle to last longer.

3-4 months is just to short. Needs to be around 9 months with balance patches releasing every month at longest.

Did you mean May? February is when it launched.
Anyway, the devs are adding more core stuff to the game, so I expect it will launch when that is ready.