Is Majasa overtuned?

And not everyone can fight safely in melee range with her spamming that crystal, it’s either nearly off screen her or be grinding against her. It tracks for too long and snaps tracking (like WAY too many other enemies with extremely dangerous attacks) she has 180’d when move skilling behind her and petrified me. The tracking needs to be slower, stop sooner, and maybe even reduce the radius of the cone.

Extremely difficult even with 35% move speed. Either you need to be at least midrange away with a move skill or have enough move speed to juke it and that was not reliable because it spreads and moves very quick.

I have less sustain after the leech nerf, but she also aggressively chases you, so I don’t know how anyone without massive dodge, taunt minions, or face tank defenses handles that.

It absolutely can become an inescapable mess. The random nature of the poison meteors means the direction you take (or may be forced to take, usually on pylon phase) to evade it all may end up cornering you which has happened to me. Even shield charging through them at over 90 poison resist it still stacks two or three times and drains 200-300 health or more a second (masochist mode, but still). They should last a little less time and not be so frontloaded in that damage, I shouldn’t have to feel punished if I need to charge through one to avoid a worse attack. Not everyone has Rebuke or equivalent to tank her fire jav.

Not always the easiest to accomplish, especially on first/second play throughs where shards and gold are limited.

I feel like it tends to go off for me, just visually doesn’t depending on what attack I did prior. Shield Charge, however, very easily bugs out and will either end instantly or not end at all until wall collision.

Oh, it sure fucking felt like it did, they already have high health and I was reasonably able to face tank them playing Masochist outside of the laser (assuming I’m also not fighting a horde of heavy mobs with more numbers than fodder hordes). Needs confirmation, but they definitely felt like they took longer (and started recovering health with no regen tag?)

That explains it. The game is not and will not be balanced around masochist mode & comments based on the difficulty of a boss in that mode have no place in a discussion on whether a campaign boss is overtuned or not. I’m sorry, but, no. If you’re able to get through masochist mode you’ve accomplished quite a feat, but you can’t then say that a particular boss is too difficult.

Mobs spinning & tracking the player’s movement very quickly is an acknowledged issue, mobs shouldn’t be able to spin round while you run behind them while the cast a thing.

1 Like

I’ve got less than 100 hours in this game so far, and I struggled a good bit with Majasa. Oddly enough, playing a fire minion necro build, I actually lasted until the last couple percent health in P2 of that fight. Then, of course, minions finished her while I was dead and I had to redo the whole fight, which took about 10-12 deaths.

If I’m being honest, I actually think my trouble was a combination of the boss being somewhat over-tuned, but mostly my skill level being drastically under-tuned. If I were to point to any one specific thing in this fight that I have to call BS on, it would be the player tracking on her petrifying attack (which I believe someone else mentioned). That said, when I was fighting her and got petrified, I was oddly safe for the duration of the effect, so I’m not entirely sure how much of a problem that peculiarity might be.

Overall my impression is more about chapter 9 as a whole considering the intent to smooth out the difficulty curve between story and early monolith. I’m doing level 70 echoes now and still finding them markedly easier than anything I faced in chapter 9. Granted, I’m now 15 levels above where I was when I faced Majasa, but leveling curve is part of that consideration as well.

I made a new character, VK Warpath. I am doing the echo thing. I also have gloves that spawn bees once in awhile. I had zero problems through all of act 9. I was level 55 when I completed act 9. My gear is pretty basic. I have a few junky uniques. I’ll just link it.

I only use Warpath. The other skills on my skillbar I just never removed when they were put there automatically.

I died once in all of act 9. That was on the leader guy in the cellar that put a bunch of poison stacks on me. I died after I killed the guy and had nothing to leech from. :smiley:

I could see the Majasa fight being a lot harder for a character that has to stop moving to attack. Majasa seems to attack (use abilities) pretty fast.

1 Like

Thank you, had to grin.

Yes, many skills/characters will have to try via hit’n’run. Should work though.

Just from a lore perspective (stone gaze → Gorgon: look in eyes => turn to stone) I´d think that that mechanic should just be changed to not petrify you when you do not look at the boss. You would still have to dodge the mechanic, but it would be possible for more builds to do so.

Having done this fight on a few different level 85+ builds of very different types, I was able to learn what to avoid and what to face tank (not all her attacks are really deadly).

That said, on a level-appropriate new character doing the campaign, she does seem extremely hard. Even normal monolith bosses like Lagon, Rahyeh, Formosus and The Abomination are actually easier and do less damage than Majasa.

TL;DR - its both overtuned, and not as hard once you learn the mechanics.

2 Likes

Well, it doesn’t spin when she starts channelling it so as long as you don’t get too many stacks you’re good.

Orobys shades and maso quest bosses are easier and more forgiving (and they really aren’t very forgiving in maso) even the high AoE ones. The fact my tankiest character has the levels of trouble he does is telling because playing maso every balance issue felt by standard players is a good 10 times worse. One bad move and I am dead. I play maso because after running a necro as my first character on standard I discovered the only way to feel engaged was play maso. The fact that so many people think act 9 and Majasa are overtuned is extremely telling considering my FG’s stats since the majority of players are standard. I know what too few resistances feels like playing masochist and this isn’t a resistance issue, this isn’t just a health issue, this isn’t even a sustain issue (at least for 1st phase). There’s flat out too much too often for too long to reliably land hits and not enough breathing room.

And for the record, my necro wiped both phases in about 20 seconds each because her minions do insane dps and I am over leveled for act 9 with her. Goes to show more the power of pet classes than anything else lol

That is a very valid point.

Though I still wouldn’t balance around it being do-able in masochist (IMO).

There finally someone came to the realization of the fight. This is one of the key mechanics of survival/death. Figure this part out and you will gain Jedi insights into the fight.

Right now the biggest problems I have with the fight are

• the crystal projectiles hit really, really, really hard
  • no pot refills after I die so retries are even harder
  • playing as necro now and my minions won’t bloody attack the crystals
  • phase 2, as stated

I think 1 could be fine but I’d like them to be nerfed a bit? It feels a lot more like ‘kill them on spawn or die’. If it’s possible to be in melee with them and not eat the fire/lightning projectiles constantly I’d love to hear more. If there is a reliable strat for them then it’s a lot less of an issue. 2 and 3 are things I’d really like to see changed - 2 is just kicking me when I’m down and 3 is a larger problem with minion aggro and melee minions not sticking to things they should. 4 I need more experience with, but 1-3 are all causing me to not yet have that experience.

Default key A IIRC, direct your minions to a point or focus attack on target. Great for this precise situation, or to move them out of an aoe if you don’t have much extra minion health/regen yet to face tank.

I did find that out! It helps, but if I run away too much to dodge bullets then they still lose track of what they’re doing.

1 Like

Didn’t have a lot of trouble with Majasa on mage and paladin. That being said, i’ve learned the mechanics beforehand by watching Steelmage being farmed by the boss.
For me, the first phase was okay, but it may be difficult if the build lacks DPS, because of the crystals. Other abilities are well telegraphed and can be dodged.
Second phase is a lot worse. While i was able to facetank it by spamming smite on a paladin, on a mage it was not very pleasant experience, kiting the boss and trying to fit a couple of lightning bolts in between dodging non-telegraphed attacks.
Overall the fight is very well done, and a league above the previous bossfights, but the second phase is not very well designed in my opinion, because the boss spams non-telegraphed melee attacks, and there’s no play around it other than constantly kiting, or being tanky enough.

2 Likes

I think I like that there is a gear check component to the fight. Bosses that are strictly about mechanics and telegraphed attacks can be beaten naked. I don’t like that when the game is based on loot.

So that means if you “telegraphed” all the more dangerous attacks, it would be fine, right?
→ Sounds good to me. *pokes at EHG

I did the fight again with bladedancer right out of the story at 58 and it’s a very different fight. As bladedancer has a lot of natural defenses it turns into an easy fight, but I’m still not a fan of the phase 1 pylons or how fast she hits in general in phase 2. I was also using decoy totem to save myself when my other skills were on cooldown. And considering how strong decoys are, I’d have to say the fight is a bit overtuned.

1 Like

Whats this new Majasa stuff?
An optional zone or continuation of the main campaign?
From the looks it seems the mobs there deal lots of phys/poison dmg, is that true?

Sounds good if you are not playing javalin and thus need to be as far away as possible - also you need to run away a lot to not get hit by her multiswipe ability(which wipes out about 70% of your health if you aren’t very tanky)