Is it Time? Focus on MULTIPLAYER

I really do understand the sentiment of wanting to have MP in this game, and I agree that certain aspects of the game will necessarily change with its implementation, but I also think the logic is backward that they shouldn’t get the core systems in place and working properly first. You don’t furnish a car and then drop the engine, brakes, and steering column in. It doesn’t make sense to do it that way.

If PoE is to go by this system doesnt work at all in multiplayer,

You will play with friends and potentially you wont progress if you are inside ‘their’ timelines and not yours, I find it hard to believe they commited to the system so now they need to make sure it works for up to 4 players

What if I join someones game on a character who hasnt completed Ending the Storm and the person I play with is in that timeline…how is that going to work because I can tell you right now it DOES NOT work if you look at how PoE handled this

does this look familiar?

1 Like

You could potentially gain stability in that monolith if you’ve already unlocked it. Then if nothing else, you’d be able to jump right to the quest echoes. Hopefully they allow the quest progress (including quest echoes) to count for everyone as long as they are on the required step, so you make sure the party leader is behind everydoby else in the quest so that once the leader catches up everyone’s quest progresses.

1 Like

It does look fmiliar because it used to be one of my favourite leagues at the end when POE fixed changed a lot of stuff.
Iam still sad that its not core, its one of the most unique systems ive ever saw with an option to choose your own path in many ways.

I do share those things that you worried about in this post. I hope they will let everybody progress there quest echoes for example.
I dont think you can actually make a system were you share the echo system itself.
It would be cool though if there would be an option to start a new echo with a friend were you get shared progression (also with the tiles expanding) :smiley:
So if you would want to finish it on another day and do it with the friend being the leader, it changes nothing. So what you see i see aswell in my hideout or enviroement if that makes sense. So even if my friend would be offline i can still see that echo etc.

I dont share your opinion about MP being here already because, the endgame wasnt good enough yet as i mentioned before. And again performance…

That’s funny because that is EXACTLY my point. The difference is I consider that multiplayer IS a “core system” of what is being advertised as a multiplayer game (see quote below if you disagree). If this game was being sold as a MMORPG would we even be debating this topic?

Here’s a reminder of what the devs have said about MP:

JC: Multiplayer will be one of the most, if not the most, exciting releases for Last Epoch and as a team, we feel good about the social systems we’ll offer the community. Players in town hubs will be able to chat, show off their gear, take advantage of a unique trading system or party up with 3 other Travelers to conquer the dangers that await in Eterra. To ensure the best playing experience, multiplayer will consist of server-side characters playing in a server-authoritative environment.

The fact is that the features that have been listed are really not too far from an MMORPG. Grouping with friends, grouping with strangers, an evolving economy, persistent (server side) items/characters, trading, group/guild chat, social areas for interaction… these are all core features of an MMO experience. FWIW, Path of Exile is listed as a “persistent online action MMO.”

Also @meesterg do you honestly think this new endgame system is “done” and will need no changes when multiplayer is added? Wouldn’t it make more sense to develop and test and optimize the endgame with multiplayer systems already enabled?

TLDR: If people/devs don’t feel MP is a core system for this game, then maybe that’s the debate we should be having.

It isn’t. Not only is the comparison to an MMO a poor one due to the fact that this game will have single player that is off the servers, but most of the features you’re talking about are just basic features of any Multiplayer experience, not just MMOs. Further, the idea that it would be compared to an MMO in the total absence of a persistent, shared world space is way off the mark. Sure, some games stretch the definition quite a bit with more focus on instancing, but I don’t think any honest person would consider PoE to be one.

So no, MP is not the “core” of the game. It may later become the commonplace focus of it, but the core is all about the classes, leveling systems, crafting, variety of content, and combat. Without a properly established core, MP has no place and no future in this game.

I never said that the new endgame system is done. Far from it, they just released it and will probably change things… thats why the game is in a test state right…
Let me ask you: Do you really think that if EHG first released multiplayer before this endgame patch that EHG wouldnt have shot themselfs in their foot while knowing people werent happy about the endgame system?

People would probably have massively played LE. Because many of us are desperate to finally try a new finished game that actually has potential. Then they find out that the endgame system is not that fun and indepth and quit the game.

Would that be the better option in your opinion? Showing it to even more people in a new enviorement (multiplayer) and new problems in multiplayer beside the endgame they already not enjoy.

I can already see the whiney posts on reddit just like they do in every other game. Is that the type of publicity you would want for this game if you were the devs? I certainly wouldnt since i hope this game will succeed since iam enjoying this game.
And finally there is a new contender in this genre after many failed titles.

So you would risk the name of the company and the potential that this game still has with first putting multiplayer in instead of revamping the endgame system were everybody literally will grind normally for many hours? Also knowing that in singleplayer the performance were pretty bad you would still first go for multiplayer?

I do see it as a core system. Thats why i prefer the game being stable and having good endgame in the hopes of people being happy with the game, so i can play a really fun game for many years to come. Iam sick and tired of those rushy things and overhyped games and people who try to rush devs to finish there games etc.

I come of a time were it was normal to code for many years and many titles of that time are still the pillars of many genres. Hence some of them created there own genre.
Diablo 1/2 red alert 1/2 warcraft titles, counterstrike and so on.

I prefer the its done when its done route since i saw better games came out of it back in the day. Everything nowadays is rushy, low time spam, run faster, release the game devs!
This game feels unfinished devs (despite people pushing them and asking to release it in the first place).

It has become a strange gaming world in my opinion and in many ways not for the best considering the many failed titles unfinished games and content behind DLC. Lootboxes, the overhyping the complaining about how long everything takes. Complaining about the complains complaining about the word complain. Nah i stop here haha. Iam getting old.

Its like a fine whisky or a fine wine. The longer you wait the better it tastes most of the time. There is also a dutch saying that my mother used to say.
Haastig spoed is zelden goed. It rimes in Dutch but not in english.
It means Rushing is most of the time bad (explained short). But hey thats my 2 cents on this.

2 Likes

This is precisely what happened to Cyberpunk. It got mad hype, some of the fans got impatient, the publisher got nervous, the game released too early, it was unfinished, and now it doesn’t have the reputation it rightfully would have deserved.

I kickstarted this game because online and multiplayer were part of the core vision for the game.

5 Likes

You seem to have been bathed in hot water. Be patient there are still many things to improve before the MP is introduced. Everyone would like to play with buddies already and it will happen one day if EHG decides it is the right time. Besides, he doesn’t want to play with people in 30 FPS.

CD Projekt promised too much and failed to deliver many things. I am Polish and most of us have lost trust in this company. But I hope that one day they will redeem themselves, because slip-ups happen to everyone. The important thing is to learn from them.

Same here!

Without persistent online features, the game fits into a different class of ARPG. There’s nothing wrong with that, but anyone familiar with the genre knows there is a sharp dividing line between the classics:

Diablo 2 (and 3) and Path of Exile
vs
Titan Quest and Grim Dawn

I won’t belabor the discussion trying to explain the fundamental differences of just how much more complex the first subset is. And please, this is not a bash of TQ/GD. I love those games as well, but for different reasons.

How about including the condition in that quote?

Right, but if they weren’t rushed into releasing before it was ready, it probably would have turned out very differently. That’s the point here.

Yes you are partly right it is the management who made the mistake. They unleashed the marketing machine too early with too many lies. Before the release they were saying the game works well on old consoles etc. They showed people things that ultimately didn’t appear in the game. Apart from all the bugs, the game itself is average for me.

1 Like

I don’t know why they thought releasing on last gen consoles could work, but… yeah. Don’t want to derail this into an “All About CP2077” thread. Just wanted to point to an obvious example of how listening to the pressure can backfire on devs and harm the game.

1 Like

I agree, therefore let EGH work in peace. I am not rushing them, I am waiting patiently.

No. MP is part of that core vision - in fact, it’s THE reason I kickstarted this game.

3 Likes

I think you’re making a conflation here around the term “core.” Clearly MP is not “core” to the game’s structure in a sense, because it operates independently of it and will continue to (with the Offline/SP side of it) even after launch. Saying it’s “core” to the game’s vision is a different thing entirely. What the game needs to function at a base level and what we all want it to become are very different things…

Unless you’re trying to argue that the systems in place are broken specifically because they don’t have the MP component in yet? I don’t think you are.

However, if the game doesn’t function properly on a technical, practical, and stable level, then the devs have no business adding MP until it does. Otherwise, you’re just going to compound the existing issues with new ones.

You don’t build a house on a broken and unstable foundation. You fix/replace the foundation first, then build on top of it. I’m not sure how this is even debatable.

MP does not work as a “slap on” afterwards you call the “core” is done. That’s basically POE’s approach which makes POE MP the disaster it is. And which led me to kickstart this game.

A good MP experience is a core part of the game design to ensure it integrate well with the other game elements.

If I want to build a house livable by a family of 4, it doesn’t make sense to start building a generic house that is “fundamentally sound” without considering who the house is going to serve. I can build an igloo or a hut that’s fundamentally sound, but you’re never going to build on top of it to cater for my family of 4. I’m not sure how this isn’t obvious.

1 Like