Is it Time? Focus on MULTIPLAYER

I’ve mentioned it several times too.

I get that the infra and the technical aspects of MP is “ready when it’s ready”. But I find the deafening silence of not talking more concretely about how MP would work (especially around existing endgame systems) concerning.

Like I find the existing implementation of the web echo mono very similar to progression systems like POE atlas or delve. And we already know how those systems doesnt work well with party play (only host gets progress). Does EHG have a plan to make sure that doesnt happen? Surely these ideas can be shared/discussed even if MP isnt done implementing?

4 Likes

You raise a very good point. I think if more people would address the question of mp as “What would multiplayer look like?” instead of a flat “WHEN IS MULTIPLAYER COMING OUT?” there might be a better response. I see several times a day in discord and in game chat people asking the latter, and to me if I was a developer, knew what the cycle was going to be and what needed to be implemented first, I would start to get mentally drained seeing that all the time.

Some people don’t understand with intricate games like this that there is a structure to things. You can’t just roll out an aspect of the game, boot the servers and everyone goes flying into the updates. It works in layers. The biggest thing I have learned in the past from testing games to playing alpha’s/beta’s is that adding one thing will more than likely cause problems elsewhere, so as a dev you can’t just release a slew of things and hope it works right. Yes there is plenty of testing that goes into it, but testing in a perfect environment versus testing online with hundreds of people is way different.

I also understand people have been playing this game way longer than me and want to do MP. However, with the fact they are still releasing updates, and then having to patch stuff right away I don’t think it’s ready to have every effort put into Multiplayer. I would be more comfortable with Multiplayer being added much closer to launch, that way if something DOES go wrong, they still have more resources to pour into that rather than stopping work on a class or end game mechanic.

5 Likes

This. It’s perfectly discussion worthy to talk about how MP might/should look, but the continual asking for a date or pressuring to rush it out prematurely is completely unproductive.

You assume a lot of things with your statement. They are a small company who all work remotely so how are you to assume everything is networked internally.

Also, to hold a company’s feet over the fire who is still in early access and say

is kind of in bad taste. Who knows what they are going to do. It might be online all the time or it might not. But the way you word your statement is the difference between a positive way to say it “I think that if you make this game online only, a lot of people would be upset because they may want to play the game even if their internet goes out” vs. “If not, and it becomes yet another DRM-infested always-online arpg (for the multi component), I’ll have to re-think supporting it.” You see the difference?

2 Likes

I don’t think that after 5 months of silence, there is nothing to report. Also I don’t want a date, I want to know about how it will be implemented.

• How does group find work?
  • Can I kick people out of my group? How would abuse be prevented?
  • Are there restrictions to trade? What are they?
  • How will progress be shared?

There’s so much to talk about, like @Jerle stated.

4 Likes

I feel like a lot of us are frothing at the mouth for multiplayer, but considering that there’s still 3 classes to release which will likely affect group comp metas and what not, i imagine we’ll get those first, then multiplayer either in late December or even have it postponed to 2022 (despite the announcement that it would come this year)

actually, i’m pretty sure i recall them saying in the brief multiplayer pre-alpha video they revealed last December that someone said it would have an offline mode, or something to that effect.

They did and it will. Just maybe not released at the same time as multiplayer.

I’m also not sure that they’ll release the missing masteries before multiplayer. Group comps will evolve over time as the game changes before and after release so I don’t see the missing masteries being missing as a blocker to multiplayer.

1 Like

You’re still assuming they have this available right now. These things may not be concretely decided yet. If you watch Mike’s streams, you can tell he’s excited to share whatever he reasonable can, but he has to be very cautious of what that is because people take every little detail as law (completely forgetting what “subject to change” means) and will later accuse him of being dishonest if they change their minds. Also, people have a way of taking these things way out of context or making weird assumptions about them.

Being silent until you know for sure is a much better approach.

2 Likes

hmmm… so which is it?

1 Like

It’s that he’s still asking for information from the devs that either they don’t have or aren’t ready to share. Don’t take my quote out of context and try to make it sound like something other than what I said.

This is about players discussing it. Devs may or may not join in, but I kind of doubt it.

Then you are misquoting Tweek. Who quoted me. And we were specifically refering to devs addressing how Devs plan to implement it.

No, I didn’t. That’s incorrect. Re-read it if you need to.

I was saying that it’s fair game for us to suggest and discuss the various elements of how multiplayer can or should look–not that it’s okay to make demands of the devs to release information they either don’t have or aren’t ready to share, let alone demand regular updates, which was in response to this:

and this

and this

It’s a recurring theme in this thread. Some people asking more nicely than others, but trying to pressure the devs about it is likely to make them even more reticent to do it because of this:

There’s no contradiction to my statements unless/until you take them out of context.

Ok. Please explain what “This” is referring to and how I had taken it out of context. Because Tweek said I raised a very good point and the point he quoted was

where I was specifically talking about EHG having a plan for MP implementation.

and if we were to dissect Tweek’s response to me

Would you disagree with me what he was saying may be understood as “if more people would ask the devs “what would multiplayer look like?” instead of a flat “WHEN IS MULTIPLAYER COMING OUT?” there might be a better dev response.” (bold paraphrase mine).

I was agreeing with him (and to some extent, with you). I was adding that people should be discussing MP implementation rather than making demands of the devs. And for the point of asking the devs about MP implementation, I said they may not have anything to share yet.

Ok. So I did not quote you out of context. I just want to clear this up because you did try to accuse me of that when you said

You paired my quotes to make them sound contradictory when they weren’t. That’s only possible if your interpretation was out of context, because I have been very clear and consistent about this.

I’m getting annoyed, that you seem to lead every discussion away from the topic to just plain arguing about who has the better arguments and how they are presented. This nitpicking on peoples exact phrases is very tedious. I think it’s very easy to understand everybody’s points here and there’s absolutely no need to always try to turn peoples phrases into different meaning that pleases your enjoyment to look like the smartest guy in the web.

I / we asked for information about MP because theres little. We asked the devs directly. If the answer would be “Since December 2020 we made no progress and have nothing to share” this would at least be an answer. As long as you are not with EHG all you can do is guessing why and how. I can guess for myself. I know all the possible reason why the devs would not answer.

If you followed the recent dev streams, Mike stated that they have a dedicated team working in MP and make a weekly EHG MP session every Wednesday. Also he mention there could be a MP dev stream, too, someday.

It’s up to EHG to decide what infos they share and how deep these infos go. It’s not yours and it’s not mine. But they should break the silence in that regard.

Of course I do! They had a realese plan for August 2020. They made a lot of post about the topic 2 years ago, explaining little things and big things. Theres a dev blog about the bazar, too, I did not link.

It’s all there, just outdated.

Again, I’m not asking you about information. So as long as you don’t have anything else to contribute to this topic then telling people that they are wrong, you may consider joining the devs in silence.

2 Likes

Well, if there’s anything I’ve learned from reading other people’s posts, it’s that me being a pedantic … person may not make for the most enjoyable conversation. :frowning:

1 Like

This was the result of someone attempting to do precisely this to me, so if people want to stop trying to “catch me out” and instead understand what I’m saying, we can all enjoy nicer discussions.

That, or bring better arguments. :rofl:

1 Like