Invocation seems underwhelming

Dumb question for someone who has played as much as I have but how do you arrive at these numbers? I’m doing something with fireball/RRR/spreading flames and trying to understand the nuts and bolts.

The wiki.

Those numbers are actually wrong though. HHH is 10 ticks at 75% per tick so 750%. Ball Lightning is 17 ticks at 80% so 1360% (ok I was right there).

2 Likes

Honestly it needs a MASSIVE buff - as there is no reason to use up a skill point to randomise your runes on runebolt when you can spec it to cast the exact same invocation every single time. Especially when the random runes gives you no benefit for what is essentially a giant downside.

No wonder it is falling off a bit in later monos

I like the invocations, They seem like copy pasted -
Dota 2’s Invoker (Invoking system is absolutely the same - Vex Quas Exort) and skills from Diablo games. Its pretty neat, hopefully it scales well later on.

Okay, that’s starting to make sense. I know where the 80% comes from (added scaling damage) but where are the 17 ticks coming from. Is it something to do with base speed and interval?

It’s very similar to Magicka aswell

1 Like

Just checking it on a dummy basically. Cast speed doesn’t affect it because I have a lot from gear and it’s still 17 with the gear unequipped.

Ah, so you’re not getting that from any data in the character sheet or LE tools. It’s testing wise. Got it. thx!!! I’ll do that.

Yeah, cast speed never, as far as i can remember, affects tick rate. Attack speed affects tick rate on Warpath and channelled Flurry but that’s it (no idea about channelled Shadow Cascade or Hail of Arrows but it might affect them too).

i agree. Iam really suprised by how cool the idea’s and invocation system is.
I do hope some skills will get some more base damage to get it more viable.
Maybe iam scaling it wrong though but it tells a lot that a few skills are only used. I tried a lot btw its such a cool system.

I used it with a Frostbite-based Frost Claw build that had massive Elemental damage over time. It’s garbage. Feels great early on but once you are in empowered monos it falls away very fast and becomes useless. I’ve switched to locking HRH instead.

Ho was your flat dmg? And did you stack int to get more pen for the invocation?
I am not saying it will be good that way though

Exactly. I really feel like HRH is the only reason to use it right now. Organize your skillbar to have Cold-Fire-Cold spells (and you can convert something like Flame Shield to cold if you need it), take immutable order (12 second cooldown, 100% mana refund, and skill bar matching) + numlock autocast. Now you have permanent uptime (assuming you cast three spells every 12 seconds).

I suspect they’ll nerf HRH because it is so insanely good. However, without HRH there isn’t a whole lot of purpose to using Runic Invocation (apart from just keeping on skillbar for Runemaster tree passive buff effects).

Not sure if CFC is too strong or most of the other are weak. But for sure for the amount of work they require (taking of the runes, quite high mana cost) the pay off is not there.

I spent a lot of time mucking around with Runemaster simply to try and see if I could find a fun DoT way to do it. I’m currently lvl 96. Clearing mid 200s without much problem continuing to dink around with it. I actually use GGR. It’s not a brain dead run around aura kills everything but it’s actually quite fun. I never tested HRH because I was hellbent on doing DoT (for some reason over the last three months of playing I’ve really been enjoying DoTs. - maybe I’m a masochist. :crazy_face:

Ive played a RM to 91 and I dont use Runes, however do use Frost Wall/Glyph converted to Fire (to clear) and Frost Claw also Fire for bosses on an ignite build plus Flame Ward and I switch Flame Rush for bosses and use Focus unskilled

Its actually the smoothest LE build ive ever played and its somewhat mana hungry and I usually avoid these builds but RM can get enough passive mana regen to be fairly liberal using a -3 cost Wand, only at 170 corruption as I just farmed blessings. But now I have capped res, capped avoidance with around 3kHP/Ward with leech/ward gen the build feels fairly strong but im expecting nerfs to all 3 of these skills

1 Like

This is my current. I’m sitting around 4500 ward with good leech and it’s very smooth to play. Run. Spam fireballs when you see a few, more than a few, Flame Rush in (auto drop Glyph and Rune) spam fireballs. Repeat as necessary. Stuff catches fire and melts. I get about 100 stacks of ignite on bosses really quick, everything else tends to die before the stacks get to their highest spot.

I’m actually considering doing a build guide. Would be my first.

3 Likes

Nice build

Im trying to figure out why you spec into flame ward when its not on your skillbar though. Is something else triggering it?

I have not looked at the build but I am guessing frost wall