Improved Font Scaling and Accessibility Options Needed

Dear Last Epoch Developers,

I’m a huge RPG fan and recently purchased Last Epoch, eager to dive into the world you’ve created. However, the current font sizes make the game difficult to play, especially for those with less-than-perfect vision, players enjoying the game from a distance, or those using a Steam Deck.

Current Font Size Challenges:

• Comparing fonts at 1080p and 2160p resolutions, they fall below UX best practices for minimum recommended sizes.
  • Even for standard users, font sizes feel too small, especially at 2160p where item names, dialogue, menus, and buttons are challenging to read.

Recommendations for Improvement:

• Implement a baseline font size increase across resolutions, targeting:
    • 1080p: Minimum 27px
    • 1440p: Minimum 36px
    • 2160p: Minimum 54px
    • Headers/Dialogue: Consider 80-100px at 2160p for film subtitle-like readability.
  • Add an accessibility slider allowing users to further increase font size by 20-30% on top of the baseline adjustments.

Impact and Urgency:

Currently, the small fonts make Last Epoch unplayable for me, requiring sizes even larger than 54px at 2160p. Scaling technology seems to be used, but base font sizes need a significant increase.

Formula for Improvement:

For your reference, a common font size scaling formula suggests:

Font Size in Pixels = (Height / 480p) * 12

My Desire:

I truly want to experience Last Epoch and believe these changes would significantly improve accessibility and user experience for many players. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Katie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.