THE ISSUES

1. The monolith system is incredibly repetitive
  2. No meaningful feeling horizontal/vertical progression
  3. You don’t get the sense of choice and impact for those choices
  4. Timelines and echoes have almost no identity
  5. Dungeons are forced on you to progress gear
  6. Resetting monolith webs feels really really bad to do
  7. Building corruption feels bad, corruption feels poorly implemented

I feel like Last Epochs end game systems suffer from the same issues as Diablo 4 right now. In D4, end game is disconnected, soulless, shallow, and repetitive. They do very little to address these issues, instead opting to add more low-effort new mechanics in. Old mechanics then become outdated unless they make them mandatory for progress, so you have this issue where you feel forced into doing content you don’t want to do so that you can progress your gear. The original end game system still feels just as much of a repetitive slog as it did when it was released, and inferior end game systems don’t have a point.

Design Philosophy

1. End game needs LAYERED progression that is both horizontal and vertical. Each time you do an echo, it should feel like you’re building towards something greater. This doesn’t necessarily need to be player power, it can be player choice or customizing your experience. End game systems should have multiple functions, and have their own web of progression that allows them to be an individual, complex, interesting end game mechanic.

2. The journey of end game needs to be purposefully designed and fleshed out. What does our journey look like when we start, and what are we working towards? Questions that need to be asked: Do players feel like there is a sense of purpose behind what they’re doing? Do players feel like they’re working towards a goal? Do players feel like every choice or move they make progresses not only their character, but their character journey? Does it feel like every repeatable bit of content is a part of a system of end game progression or does every piece feel like its disconnected from a main goal.

3. End game needs to have IDENTITY. There is a design issue when every monolith feels the exact same outside of whatever boss drops you’re moving towards, and every echo feels like you’re chaining the exact same 3 objectives for hours on end. Whatever individuality timelines currently have is completely forgettable because of how repetitive they are.

4. Content outside of the Monolith system should all be optional, but interesting and have their own identity and layers of progression that give them meaning. Think of it this way: If a dungeon is only worth doing to achieve a gear result or drop a specific item, it’s not a well designed system. The questions that need to be asked: Is this interesting enough to be repeatable? Are the rewards exciting? Does this offer both horizontal and vertical progression? Do these rewards offer character customization or enable certain builds? Does this add an additional playstyle option for players? Can this exist alongside the main end game system without overtaking it?

5. When it comes to pushing end game (corruption), difficulty should be optional and gated behind build/gear capabilities, not tedium. Time investment should be a factor, but it shouldn’t be the major limiting factor. It’s bad design if a player has a build that can do 2,000 corruption, but they have to spend weeks doing content that isn’t remotely challenging to get there. Access to hard content shouldn’t be gated behind doing a repetitive, tedious thing over and over again, it should be awarded for completing challenging things in the game. You should also NEVER feel like you “reset” your progress. Doing end game content is all about momentum, and you should never feel like your momentum is completely interrupted by a reset mechanic. Imagine a scenario in Path of Exile where if you killed Eater and Exarch your entire atlas was reset and you had to re-do every map again. This feeling of a soft reset feels extremely bad in LE.

Examples of well designed end game/progression systems

DISCLAIMER
I am not advocating that these systems be implemented, nor am I saying that I want this game to turn into the games that have these systems. This is purely just breaking down the experience and design of end game systems that I believe to be done well.

1. Grim Dawn constellation system: You find things throughout the world, which give you passive points that you can spend into a constellation-shaped tree which gives you interesting character progression, like triggering a skill on attack, or outright giving you skills, or just offering offensive/defensive layers. This offers a reason to do side areas, and offers greater customization of a character through that.

2. Path of Exile Atlas Tree: This doesn’t offer player power, but choice. This is a great example of an end game system with tons of identity and meaningful choices. Each specific map you do allows you another small bit of progression towards adding content or altering the content you’re doing. This has a meaningful start to the journey, it has progression steps that involve doing repeatable content but also giving that content purpose, and it has a web of interesting end game outcomes to work towards, whether its alternate content, specific bosses, or really challenging maps. Everything feels pretty connected and purposeful.

3. Path of Exile alternate content systems, heist, delve, delirium, expedition, etc. These all offer very different ways to play the game, none of them are necessary to progress in end game, but all have very specific rewards and progression systems to them. These systems have mini encounters inside maps, but they also have major encounters outside of them, or entire progression systems outside of them. Having the option to encounter a piece of content more, changing the way you experience it, and being able to focus on the things you like to do is KEY.
    [/details]

Some Ideas

These are just my ideas, some of them may be very impractical or have flaws, I am not a game designer.

• 1. Connect timelines and launch them from a central hub

Remember in skyrim where you could cycle through skill trees, and once you chose it, you started with the first star in the constellation, then progressed from there? This is conceptually what I’m picturing animation/presentation-wise. Timelines being open ended webs gives them this soulless feeling of complete randomness. Maybe still procedurally generate webs, but make them linear paths that you can choose from with connections to the other paths at certain break points. You could have an introduction echo which branches out and unlocks your first timeline, you could obscure the other timelines with fog of war or celestial vfx, there are a lot of cool options presentation/UI wise that can give a sense of mystery, progression, and cohesion.

Reasoning: Connecting timelines and having a central hub gives a feeling of cohesiveness. End game should feel like its a bunch of pieces that make up a puzzle, not a bunch of pieces from a bunch of different puzzles that never feel finished.

• 2. Add in incremental mini-boss encounters to build towards timeline bosses instead of random questlines based on stability

Once you hit a stability breakpoint, instead of a quest, your next echo is a mini-boss encounter where a mini boss finds you in the echo and creates an arena to fight in, that boss then drops a 1/2 fragment. You could expect this to take just about as long as an echo does. Once you hit the 2 breakpoints and have 2 fragments, you combine them in a device UI and that allows you to open an encounter to the timeline boss.

These mini bosses can be minions of some ultimate boss trying to prevent you from progressing the monolith, or there can be many other lore-friendly reasons for these encounters. There are about a million different ways you can tie something like this into your end game progression system. These mini bosses can be timeline-specific.

Reasoning: Timeline quests feel super awkward and awful to do. In empowered timelines they suddenly become obsolete. Replacing breakpoints with mini bosses that have their own drop tables is a lore-friendly way of slowly forming a cohesive end game journey, and adds more of a reason to do specific timelines.

• 3. Add timeline-specific passive trees, or a monolith passive tree (or both)

Each time you kill a mini boss, timeline boss, or complete an objective, you are granted passive point(s) for timeline-specific or whole-monolith tree that allows you to mold the game to fit the way you want to play it, specific item drop rates, or other potential mechanics. You could even make echoes impactful by giving a passive point for every x amount that you do that takes the form of a progress/xp bar so that you can see the progress, capped to a maximum amount, so that doing repetitive echoes actually serves a purpose and gives you rewards.

Reasoning: Horizontal progression and player agency adds depth and replayability. Adding additional reasons to do echoes, mini bosses, and bosses makes them feel more impactful other than just target farming specific items.

• 4. Overhaul Corruption and Reset Mechanic

Corruption should be account and monolith-wide, and feel like its impacting the timelines. Once you complete the last timeline, there could be a quest line update where there are some big bad guy lore implications and npc interaction. As a result, the entire monolith has had visual and world impacts, as well as increased difficulty. This corruption would add new events, mechanics, etc. This should feel like an end game “refresh” instead of just more of the same. Think of the first monolith journey as tier 1, and then corruption as an entirely different tier of gameplay that adds new end game, rather than making the already existing repetitive end game 1% harder for every 30 minutes you’re willing to grind. Bosses could be void touched or uber versions that have new mechanics, new loot tables or new item mechanics, etc. Maybe the corrupted version of the monolith is accessed from a new area, or it can be turned on and off. It needs to be able to be turned off and on for obvious reasons, but I do believe it should be account + monolith-wide. There is no reason to force players to grind the same exact timelines and echoes if their build can handle much harder difficulty, even with catch-up mechanics this is a really really bad feeling part of the game.

To be clear, I am not in favor of content “skip” mechanics like how in d4 you can instantly skip the campaign and do the exact same content at level 1 that you would do at level 100. I think certain things being gated is good design. It gives meaning to each step of progression.

As far as building corruption, I don’t have many good ideas on how to go about this, I’d love to hear ideas from anyone who actually got this far!

2 Likes

True thanks for feedback. Many have said same thing.

Monoliths/Echoes are indeed a repetitive experience, but repetitive endgame is the general state for ARPGs.

Path of Exile is the only game that successfully created a more versatile endgame worth the name - with content they developed over many years. At least from my experience.

PoE started out very humble with maps, which aren’t that different from echoes on a fundamental level. A bit less monotone, because they have randomized maps based on tile sets, therefore not every corner on the same map looks the same.

Designing and implementing these ideas is time-consuming. EHG plans to expand the echo/monolith system over time. It’s not a bad starting point, and I can imagine many ideas how to add changes to the system to make it more versatile and choice-driven. Some of your ideas (like a passive tree or other way to affect web-generation and game content in echoes) are good, but the game has not the versatile foundation yet to justify something like that, IMO.

I am not sure how a merged echo system would fit into the lore. Timelines are ‘echoes’ of a lost timeline. If we consider those timelines parallel worlds, they are narratively incompatible. Age of Winter (Heorot killed Rayeh) and Black Sun (Corrupted Rayeh) don’t match.

Corruption as an account-wide mechanic is something I dislike. Not all characters are equal, not all characters can crush low corruption easily.
Should I have to reset my corruption account wide just so I can play my weak Primalist in the morning, thus ruining the progress on my stronger Paladin?

It would require some sort of ‘pick the corruption you want to play’-option, up to the max you reached on any character.
I assume many players will try to run corruption much higher than their current character can chew at the moment and become frustrated. If you have to progress through the corruption, you get a feel for the limits of your character before you hit the wall face-on.

4 Likes

Er, when was the last time you did a map in PoE? Each map has a static layout (not countind Strand as that appears to rotate by 90/180 degrees from time to time) last time I played (current league).

Isn’t that the point of parallel worlds? That different things happen each time? The players are the same but the story is different. If the same thing happens then that’s not a parallel world, it’s the same world.

I have to admit that I have not pushed deep into the endgame for a couple of years. I usually run a couple of maps, most maps only once if I have another one that I have not done yet.
If they have switched to static maps, I haven’t noticed.

I know that static map go against Chris Wilson’s core philosophy, so this would be surprising.

To be fair, PoE’s main advantage is that there are many different endgame systems and none feel mandatory to play, other than the initial maps and labs.
But if you analyze each of them individually, they’re all as repetitive in the long run. Delve, Simulacrum, Heist, Sanctum, etc, all get stale really fast if that’s all you’re doing.

What LE lacks the most is more endgame choices. We’ll get revamped monos next, but we need more options (arena doesn’t count).

1 Like

The map layouts do seem to be static though there can be a lot of additional stuff (current & previous league mechanics) going on in the map.

The thing is PoE has had a lot of time to introduce, playtest (in leagues) and finetune all these additional systems. PoE 1.0 was 4 acts and the maps upto area level 78, with their 1.1 they added the Sacrifice of the Vaal which gave them the first endgame boss outside of maps Atziri which kinda mirrors Aberroth and Harbingers of Ruin. If we compare PoE 1.1 and Last Epoch’s 1.1 I would say LE is atleast equal if not superior in terms of endgame content(with arena and dungeons).

The big difference though is PoE didn’t have much competition when it came out. Anyone playing it would likely compare it only to D2 and D3(which was not too well received). However, LE faces the almost unfair comparison to the massive amount of endgame systems in PoE.

Edit : my bad 3 acts…

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. I’m not saying they should already have all those. I was just pointing out a reason why people feel this way about LE and not PoE. It’s not the repetitiveness of the system itself, it’s just the lack of different activities to do so you don’t tired of running the same one over and over again.

3 actually, with 3 difficulty levels.

Yes, this is true. And it’s sort of expected, really. When a player is deciding what they want to play, their only metric is “what will entertain me the longest?”. They don’t really care about if a game is new or not, just the amount of fun they can squeeze out of it.

I think the comparison is fair in terms of choosing what game you want to play, it’s unfair when comparing the quantity of endgame activities each has.
That is, it’s fair to say that they’ll have more fun and for longer in PoE, it’s not fair to say that LE should be expected to have the same amount of systems.

Indeed, we need more options, but those options could be integrated into or interconnected with the monolith of time.

Randomized maps instead of a fixed map pool would help quite a lot on a subconscious level, I think. It was always a problem for me to run the same map over and over again. It’s why I rather played D3 for 500 hours than GrimDawn. D3 is a shallow game in comparison, but the responsiveness of the controls feels great, and I don’t run the same map over and over again.

LE needs time to cock, as PoE did. And not in beta, like some people claim it should be.

3 Acts, 3 difficulties. A map system that was basically recycled tile sets and bosses from the campaign.

Act 4 was the 2.0 Awakening expansion. The only supporter pack I ever bought :smiley:

I remember the old PoE days. If I remove the nostalgia lenses, LE is much better than PoE was back then.

Before Atziri, there was no pinnacle boss worth the name. PoE 2.0 Awakening, again.

2 Likes

I have a couple of same tier 1 maps. I will run those this weekend and check if they really have static layouts now, or if it is still a more or less randomized assortment of rooms/tiles.

This isn’t actually true, though. D3’s GRifts had just a bunch of the same layouts as well. In fact, the meta for GR150 was simply going in and if it wasn’t one of the 3-4 “good” layouts, just leave and open a new one.

1 Like

I guess the biggest catch to it, is that each player can completely customize their end-game experience individually.
This way, even if the player ends up in a repetitive long run loop, at least it’s the loop they personally chose.

But that way of handling endgame mechanics only really made sense after they had several different ones so player could actually choose and feel they were different.
And that only happened roughly 8 years after PoE 1.0.

2 Likes

When greater rifts came, I had already moved along mostly.

Exactly, that was my point. It’s very hard to make an endgame system that, in isolation, isn’t repetitive. The main advantage of PoE was having several different ones so that players could choose which they like best. And having the option of changing to a different one if you get tired of the first one.
Or even just choose 2-3 different ones and switch between them all at once.

I do think it happened way sooner than 8 years, though. At that point people were already complaining about bloat. About 5 years after release was when they did Betrayal and by that point you already had lots of choice. And each subsequent one added a new mechanic to play with (Legion, Blight, Metamorph, etc).

That’s fair, but still the layouts were mostly the same on campaigns, adventure mode or regular rifts.

It’s hard to actually do fully different and randomized layouts. Pretty much all games use a base layout which then gets randomized to feel different. It’s been that way since D1.

Minor adjustments to how the different tiles / rooms / map features are scattered and connected go a long way to make it feel like a similar but not identical map. And I don’t talk about the placement of blockers like in GD infinite dungeons or LE dungeons.

While that is true, D2’s zones that were procedurally generated were (almost) universally the least liked zones in D2. They were one of the reasons why a mod that cleared the fog of war so you could see the exits was so prevalent for so many years.
Even if D2’s zones usually had ways to predict how they were generated, since they usually only had a few variations and an expert rusher would know where the exits would be with just a few markers.

There is a difference between playing a map or traversing a map to reach another playground.

And I am sure there are some players who like static layouts and monster placements, and they memorize this layout and train their muscle memory for so long that they can run the map blindfolded. Truly impressive feat - but not the average Joe’s cup of tea.

I am pretty confident that more randomized maps help to counter the monotonous feeling and are an overall benefit for player retention.

In LE’s campaign, I know most spawns by first name. There is Albert, your friendly Phoenix who gives you a warm welcome. Beartha, the not so friendly cave bear. Charlie and his gang of Eyes of Rayeh when you want to leave the cave…

1 Like

Yeah, this I agree with. In PoE, even though the layouts are fixed in the campaign, the mobs that aren’t quest related aren’t. Nor are the shrines, which they are in LE’s campaign.
It would feel better to play the campaign over and over again if at least the mobs were randomized.

Well, the whole discussion seems to revolve around PoE’s end-game here… which is not a good example though I would argue.

I present the counterpoint of Grim Dawn’s end-game, which focuses on repeating to run the areas, but it doesn’t feel ‘monotone’ like Last Epoch’s end-game.

There’s distinct reasons for it as well, namely that they’re not ‘generic’ like the timelines are. Mobs are the same, some change a bit as well as having different elite spawns which can slightly change it, but the map… is the same.

What’s there though is that each area sports different loot, be it area-specific resources, be it area specific bases or be it chests which drop recipes for crafting to finish up the collection of those and hence provide variety and also the option to optimize gradually.

All in all it’s steady long-term progression of some kind. And then you got the special quests which depends on actually listening to the quest-givers, and doing the highest difficulty, leading to some quite hard bosses which need effort to beat.

LE doesn’t need changing map layouts, or specifically ‘more’ content… it needs content that’s non-generic and allows proper gradual progression reliant on time investment and not solely pure luck as it is currently the case far far too early.
Corruption doesn’t feel meaningful if you don’t get direct results regularly. Timelines also have no actual difference besides ‘looks a bit different’ and ‘the boss is another one’. All timeslines are ‘the same’. Could be a single one and nobody would feel the difference in any major way. And therein lies the issue if you create generic content… it becomes… generic, and generic is the death of enjoyment long-term.

1 Like